• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First day home

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Hi all! I introduced myself in the welcome lane a few days ago - I'm Amanda and I officially have an adopted Patagonian Conure named Jade.

We brought her home (an hour and a half drive) in a carrier which she did NOT like, lots of stepping back and forth like "let me out!" We finally got her home and when my boyfriend brought in her cage she was SO excited to be back in it - she bolted down my arm like she had seen an old friend. She seems to have a bit of cage aggression so we obviously want her out as much as possible. She's sitting on my shoulder now and doing a little weird thing where she drops her chest down with her head up and makes a little squeak. Her wings are quivering a little but I figured that's because she's a bit overwhelmed by new people/new environment. She'll tap her beak on my shoulder too. Her beak is a little open like she's panting. Is she frightened? Over-stimulated? What are some good first week home with a birdie tips you can pass on to me?

Thanks all!

Amanda and Jade

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
We finally got her home and when my boyfriend brought in her cage she was SO excited to be back in it - she bolted down my arm like she had seen an old friend.
Her cage is her comfort zone. You have taken her away from a place she may have gotten comfortable in (i.e. the Rescue) and she's now, yet again, in an unfamiliar place. It's ok if she needs her "blankie" to feel more comfortable!

She seems to have a bit of cage aggression so we obviously want her out as much as possible.
On the contrary, this isn't necessarily a good idea. The more you force her away from her cage, the more she's going to be aggressive while around it. She may have previously learned that humans around the cage is a bad thing and needs to defend it. Instead, whenever you walk by, give her a treat! Put a perch on her door so that when she's sitting on the perch and you open the door, she is instantly "out" of the cage. Teach her to step up from the cage using treats as a reward. You may have to start with luring her at first, but that's ok! You can phase it out!

Main thing is, she looks at you, she gets a treat. She moves her head towards you, she gets a treat. She takes a step towards you, she gets a treat. She takes another step towards you, she gets a treat. She takes more steps towards you, she gets a treat. She puts a nail on your flesh, she gets a treat! She puts a toe or two toes on your flesh, she gets a treat! She puts a foot on your flesh, she gets a treat! She puts *BOTH* feet on you, she gets *LOTS* of treats!

If it looks like she's going to bite, *DON'T* ignore it! Rather, remove the treat and your flesh! You can try again in a few seconds or minutes later, but do what you can to avoid getting bitten! You don't want her practicing biting, but rather, you want her to learn she doesn't need to bite in order to communicate with you. After all, the only bite that can't be rewarded is the one that never occurs.

She's sitting on my shoulder now and doing a little weird thing where she drops her chest down with her head up and makes a little squeak. Her wings are quivering a little but I figured that's because she's a bit overwhelmed by new people/new environment.
Is she doing this behavior in any sort of direction? As in, could she be "pointing" somewhere and wanting to go there? It may be that she needs time to settle in, and handling her right now is only stressing her out. This is typically either begging behavior or "escape" type behavior and most often done by birds who can't fly or can't get to their destination.

She'll tap her beak on my shoulder too.
She might be trying to get your attention or maybe something else.

Her beak is a little open like she's panting. Is she frightened? Over-stimulated?
She could be stressed out and/or over-stimulated. If she's ok with being handled, try handling her for shorter periods of time (i.e. a few minutes to maybe 15 minutes) but more often rather than less often but for longer periods of time.

What are some good first week home with a birdie tips you can pass on to me?
This would vary from bird to bird, but for now, I would recommend not handling her very often and maybe putting her in a low traffic area. It may help to move her cage around the house with you instead of just her, if you can. This way, she can still be with you while still having the comfort of her cage. If converting her over to a different diet, do it slowly. Try and go at *her* pace, not yours! :) Although you may be ready for physical interaction, she might not be.

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you so much Monica; this really really helps.

I feel like she's over-stimulated, definitely. I see a bag of nutriberries in my future, for sure. I kept her out for maybe 15-20 minutes and she was doing that behavior and also being really vocal. It was obvious she wasn't super comfortable, even though she was letting me pet her. I put her back in the cage and covered it halfway and she's in there quiet as mouse, grinding her beak. Must be bed-time. She's had a rough day.

She was very isolated all her life; her old owner fed her parakeet seed for 14 years. :( She's converted to pellets and fresh food mixes very quickly. While she was out today I was eating an apple thinking hey, maybe she'll take a bite. She didn't want to take a bite but made chewing noises as I was eating. It's a start! :p

Thank you! :bighug:

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
I have no bird expertise but she sounds excited and a little scared. That would be pretty normal first day jitters. Usually it's recommended to be pretty low key until the little bird a climates to the new environment. Welcome Amanda and Jade!

Wow! I'm making note of Monica's recommendations. Two thumbs up. It seems to be true- we need to think like a bird to understand their wants and needs.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
All of my conures have been rehomes. My first conure was a cherry head whom I adopted back in 2001. He was never a very hands on bird, but then I don't know if he was wild caught or captive raised. What I do know is that in his first(?) home, he was attacked by a ferret which may have caused some health issues and loss of feathers. He was taken to the vets to be put down as the family couldn't afford his vet costs. The vet gave Noel to one of the vet techs who in turn gave him to a friend of hers who had a cockatiel. Five or six years later, she's moving and comes across my family right before Christmas. She notices that we (aka, me!) have birds, budgies and a cockatiel, at the time, and offered us this "red masked" or "mit-red" conure. Noel mutilated his stomach, couldn't fly, probably had slight blindness in one eye, then later on was going blind from cataracts, and had unknown health issues that we could never figure out. He also suffered from seizures? Although Noel never sought human interaction, he did come to enjoy *short* interactions with me (aka 3 mins or less!) and would fumble over his perches to get to me. After many bites he came to enjoy kisses. He *loved* going outside to "his" apple tree (and he didn't always want to go back inside! thankfully, it was a small tree!) and occasionally I'd go on a walk around the neighborhood with him and he would huddle against my head. As friendly as he may sound, he preferred being in his cage vs with me and I came to be ok with that. He wasn't anything like what's described as a conure. He wasn't cuddly, he wasn't goofy, wasn't all that loud, didn't talk or do much of anything else that could be labeled as a 'conure'. I described him as a "bird's bird".

Fourteen years ago though, I didn't know what I was doing! Between my age and the information back then, I did the best I thought I knew! I wasn't even sure what species he was at first and it was several months before I finally decided I knew for sure, because even back then, the information was conflicted!

Charlie, my mitred, came to me in 2006 when he was 12 years old. He came from a member of another forum and she thought he was a cherry head. Probably didn't help that she lives near where there are feral cherry heads! So any green bird with a red head is a cherry head! I went down to pick him up, sight unseen, and knew the moment I laid my eyes on him that he wasn't a cherry head at all! And Charlie has been the complete opposite of Noel! Likes and dislikes! I've said the only thing they share is coloration! Both being green and red birds! Charlie can fly, he's healthy, he hates dogs (Noel hated cats - Charlie is actually far better now about dogs!) and Charlie is a very people orientated bird! He's a "human's bird!" The only thing with Charlie is that he's got one big attitude (I call him "my-turd" ;) ). He wanted nothing to do with me in his foster home, but he's clung to me ever since I brought him home! And he supposedly prefers men over women! I am not a man.... lol So interacting with Charlie has never been a major issue or anything like Noel. Charlie doesn't care for strangers though, he takes a while to warm up to new people, and that's only if they take an interest in trying to gain his trust.

Noel passed away February of 2010, and the same year (not sure when), a red throated conure was born.

Insert Jayde. I adopted her 2013 from a member of this forum who was fostering her. When I got Charlie, I was beginning to understand more about parrot body language and how to *actually* interact with them. (not like how I was doing before!) Jayde is my little red throat and she came to me with a personality kind of between Noel and Charlie. Closer to Charlie, honestly! She did this behavior that I've heard described before but had never seen. She desperately wanted human interaction but at the same time was terrified of it. She was so conflicted and it was sad to see this behavior! Now though? She's pretty different! Still feisty, but she *eats* up attention like you wouldn't believe it! LOL She's always had this, but it's adorable! And so far, she also seems to have a clear preference for women, particularly older women. (I'm younger... as much as she "loves" me, I'm worthless when 'Auntie K' is around! ;) 'Auntie K' is an older women in my local bird club who just dotes on Jayde! And when it's time to go home, Jayde cusses me out all the way home! :rofl: You can read more about when I first got her in the following thread. :)

Jayde Update | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

And then Finn. He's supposedly around a year old, was sold as a "green conure", but he might be a red throat. He's between Noel's personality and Jayde's, but leaning more heavily towards Noel. He enjoys scritches, doesn't have a big attitude like Jayde and Charlie (seems like baby behavior to me! but an older baby) but he doesn't like leaving the safety of his cage. I really hope that once he "regains flight" (was clipped... don't know if he actually ever flew or not), that his confidence will build and his behavior will change. He's been with me since this September. He does twirl on a rope perch, and I'm not sure if this is excitement or stress, but I'm going with excitement as I've only seen him do this behavior when I'm getting food ready!

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
those are all good signs IMO sweetie taps when she wants food or attention and drops down and squeaks when she is flirting with my boyfriend, to have that on the first day I think is amazing!

:yah:

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
She was doing it when I was eating an apple. It's like she wanted it SO badly but was afraid. She's very unfamiliar with fresh foods so we're starting slow. I'm just grateful she picked up eating pellets and fresh food mixes so quickly. I was just worried because she was panting while she was doing it. Possibly just overexcitement?

She woke us up at 7:30am chirping like crazy! We were like oh okay maybe she wants some breakfast. We uncovered her and gave her breakfast which she picked at, but she obviously is craving attention and wants out of the cage - she's pacing and doing this little dance where she goes from one foot to the other...almost like a football exercise. She ALMOST stepped up for me but alas, trying to bite. Puts her head down and everything. She seems most comfortable with me sitting at the dining room table (she's right by it) and reading, or on the computer. I have some music playing so it's not complete silence and she's calmed down a bit and preening. Scratching her face with her foot, actually! hahah. I think having some music on in the background of the apartment is helping her chill versus being quiet.

I grew up with a wild caught Quaker that was the biggest lovebug in the world (we were always like where in the WORLD did you come from?!!) and a few years ago I adopted a senior IRN that turns out had advance stages of liver disease. He was afraid of EVERYTHING. Jade definitely falls somewhere in between their personalities and I'm that bird-mom like "am I doing it right?! is she okay?! Is she stressed?! ahhhh!" :shocked4:

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
@Monica , do you think I should really focus on stick training her? I could always leave the cage open while I'm home to see if she will come out willingly (my rescue IRN who was terrified of EVERYTHING eventually came out of his cage and chilled on top of his cage). She's just as docile as can be once she's out of the cage. She might just be a bit hormonal right now too on top of being in a new home. I tried inserting an unused perch in her cage and telling her to step up and she bit it. I've never stick trained a bird so this is quite new to me!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Instead of stick training, you might want to start with targeting. Step up is a form of targeting. Going back to their cage is a form of targeting. Therefore, stick training is also target training! ;)

To give you an idea....

And if you haven't seen it, you may find this to be helpful. :)

Webinar Recording: Training Rescued and/or Re-Homed Parrots | InstantPresenter Web Conferencing, Video Conferencing and Webinar Service

And you can definitely leave her cage open and see what she does! It sounds like she *wants* attention, but at the same time she isn't sure of it, or she was taught to be aggressive around her cage.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
she sounds like she is scared. try this: sit in front of the cage with a treat, talk to her softly, let her come to you. you just moved her from one home to another. give her time she needs to adjust whether slowly or fast she is the one to make that decision.

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you to you both! I was looking into target training last night actually!

We wheeled her cage in our bedroom because that's where we usually are and just being in a darker (our curtains are drawn) room in the morning...HUGE improvement! I also put her to bed around 8:30 since she woke us up so early yesterday. She didn't greet the morning until about 8:45am this morning which is great. I changed her water and checked her pellets and I thought you know what? I'm gonna leave the door open. And OUT she comes! She was tiptoeing around the top of the cage! I didn't get her to step up but she did come towards me. And after 2 minutes, she went back in her cage.

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
She also let my boyfriend reach in and pet her this morning, which is a great sign of trust already. We were playing a record and dancing in front of her and she was right by us bobbing up and down and picking up her feet...such a cute moment. Just thought I'd share! :dance3::birdance:

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
She's sitting on my shoulder now and doing a little weird thing where she drops her chest down with her head up and makes a little squeak. Her wings are quivering a little but I figured that's because she's a bit overwhelmed by new people/new environment.
Is she doing this behavior in any sort of direction? As in, could she be "pointing" somewhere and wanting to go there? It may be that she needs time to settle in, and handling her right now is only stressing her out. This is typically either begging behavior or "escape" type behavior and most often done by birds who can't fly or can't get to their destination.
Kai does this all the time and that is exactly the reason he does it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on getting Jade. Sounds as if you are making good progress with her.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Awesome updates! Sounds like she's feeling more at home now and less stressed! :) Can't wait for more pictures and stories! :D

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
I set up a camera to monitor her while I'm at work, and I'm happy to say that from the looks of it she seems a lot more calm in her new home. I've seen her play a little with her favorite toy, but for the most part she's been chillin' on her perch being quiet - some sqwaks here and there - I'm sure she's wondering where we are! :(. She woke us up bright and early this morning wanting breakfast and just greeting the morning and being super energetic. She was tuckered out late morning and now she's back to playing with her wooden toy that she really enjoys attacking! I have a dvd of bird sounds that I'm thinking of putting on while I'm at work to keep her "company" but oh man am I a worrisome bird momma. Everytime I hear her make noise my brain goes WHATS WRONG?! But then I remember ah, happy birds make noise too. I'm just not used to it since all the birds I grew up with were SUPER quiet. Anyways, thank goodness for technology.

We've found she's really obsessed with pine nuts, so yesterday and a little this morning we've been able to reach in the cage to give her pine nuts from our hand, and I've been doing pseudo target training a la - climb over here to get the treat, now climb done here, now climb over here. She's pretty responsive thus far.

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Jade made great progress tonight with taking food from my hand while in her cage. She traveled all the way down her perch ( travel a little bit, take a treat, and repeat) to right to the door. Wouldn't step up, but she is definitely motivated. And only day 3! I stopped when she decided to back track and act out; I told her "no more".

I've seen recently that when I'm talking to her a lot she runs back to her favorite toy and attacks it. I mean really goes for it. I don't know how to read that: like "look at me play look at me play!" Or is she taking out her aggression on the toy? It's right by where she likes to hang out.

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
It does get a little easier when I first got sweetie I was doing the camera too I was like omg what would I be like with a child! But it does get a tiny bit easier :)

That is for sure look at me behavior and showing off for new Mom

Well done for day 3!

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
I was the Worst employee today I was glued to the video! I feel so bad leaving her most of the day! And I could hear her calling and my heart was so sad. I hope she adjusts to my work schedule soon - knowing I'll shower her with treats when I get home. I said the same thing! "Lord is his how I'll be with a child?!" :p hahah

Best way to end day 3: I was able to give her a head scritch inside the cage! Woo!