• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caiques at the pet store...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Stopped in the pet store to get Milty some pellets, and there were two Black Headed Caiques. Brother and sister...what cuties. One hopped onto one arm,and the other on the other arm...of course they met on top my head, where they began to preen my hair, what's left of it, of course.
The boy has been sold, with a pickup date of just before Christmas. The thing I like about the store is that they do not sell any bird without a waiting period before taking them home. The time varies, depending on the size of the bird- a week for budgies, all the way up to ninety days for larger birds.
In that time, you come in learn to take care of your soon-to-be addition to the family. The time does vary, especially if you have experience with avians, but it doesn't mean a bird will go out the door the same day it's "sold". I look at it like a "lay away" system.
Some might find that a little much, but out of the many birds they've sold over decades, only a small handful of birds have ever been returned.

But anyway...how can you resist those little rascals? :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sounds like a nice place. Also, sounds like maybe you need another bird in your flock. :) ;)

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
That store is doing right by both the birds and the buyers, IMO. I just cringe when I hear stories of people getting a companion bird and they are clueless as to how to care for it. I think and wish that all pet sellers were as responsible- especially with a first time bird buyer.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sounds like a nice place. Also, sounds like maybe you need another bird in your flock. :) ;)
I love their feisty attitude, that's for sure! They're just another species (along with Quakers and Lovies) I'd love to have in my flock...if I just had the room...and if Pennsylvania didn't ban Quakers...:rolleyes:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am totally against stores selling any live animals no matter how they do it. The birds are cute and that is what they count on. Usually the expensive ones are on view at this time of year. I am however glad you feel confident in this store.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
They seem like fun little dynamoes of a bird. Would be fun to have one but doubt Lurch would be happy about it. Sister had a lovebird that really took to me and was a character but I had my two Maxis at the time and she didn't have the time she needed to be happy so we rehomed her to a old family friend who was retired and they became inseparable.
The lil ones can be a lot of fun.