• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried

Carys1249

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Carys Beynon
Hi guys I'm a little worried about baby stu he seems to eat a load and shout a lot when he's alone but I haven't seen him drink anything since being here and I'm getting worried :( I've put a smaller bowl on the floor in case but he goes all over his perches etc just dunno what to do :(

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He could be drinking when your not looking. My teils sip a couple beaks full a day, does he eat lots of fresh food? They get moisture from that too.:hug8:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella doesn't drink a lot either. As long as his poops are moist, he is drinking.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
How I.could tell if my bird is drinking?? Food in water...geesh..can't you finish eating then drink?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Does the water get bits of food in it? Does the level go down?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you're not sure, and you're worried, give him a misting. As he preens, he'll ingest the water.

My bird loves drinking straight from the mister, see if Stu seems to want to drink as you mist him. I always am careful to direct the spray through my birds mouth so there's no chance of water going down the throat if the bird's not ready.

Just be sure to do it early so he has time to dry before bed. It's cold out these days! ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When he poops, is there moisture in it?

You can also try giving foods with high moisture content, like fruits and veggies

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
I have 2 water bowls so I really don't pay that much attention. I have a teil. His poop looks the same as always.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have 2 water bowls so I really don't pay that much attention. I have a teil. His poop looks the same as always.

Sounds like yours is getting enough, then!

Their droppings DO change if they are dehydrated. Generally you'll see more urates (White) vs urine (clear) then normal. Unprinted newsprint or blank paper towels will help you monitor.

Here are some other signs of dehydration:

Signs & Symptoms of Acute Dehydration in Birds - Pets

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
i did the same post after i'd had sweetie for a week and to this day I've still never seen her take a sip from her water bowl!

i dont worry now as her poopies are very runny and clear and thanks for posting the other thread about nail clipping I've made sure to get the file out every day now to keep them down

how is baby stu today?

:heart2:

Carys1249

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Carys Beynon
How I.could tell if my bird is drinking?? Food in water...geesh..can't you finish eating then drink?
I'm not sure whether this is a dig towards me but not everyone is as knowledgable and confident as others! I've had no problem with my Joey since I've had him he's a happy bird and drinks LOADS! Which was why I was a little worried...I was a bit worried being that when I received stu he was a lot younger than supposed to be and me being a paranoid freak and only want to help my birds I thought I'd ask for advice or opinions after doing what I know already...

Carys1249

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Carys Beynon
i did the same post after i'd had sweetie for a week and to this day I've still never seen her take a sip from her water bowl!

i dont worry now as her poopies are very runny and clear and thanks for posting the other thread about nail clipping I've made sure to get the file out every day now to keep them down

how is baby stu today?

:heart2:
Thanks for your concern stu is happy anyways and checking his poops a lot their not really moist so I'm buying a different water bowl today just to put in there.. I'm sure he's fine he just looks a little sleepy and to be fair he has only been here a couple of days so if I still feel a bit worried by Friday I'll be taking him to the vet just because I love vets and trust them more than my gut lol

CallmeSweetie

Real Name
Andrea
lol :) I think the spray / misting idea macawpower mentioned might help put your mind at rest too xx

Carys1249

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Carys Beynon
Oh ye I've done that this morning :) xx

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm not sure whether this is a dig towards me but not everyone is as knowledgable and confident as others! I've had no problem with my Joey since I've had him he's a happy bird and drinks LOADS! Which was why I was a little worried...I was a bit worried being that when I received stu he was a lot younger than supposed to be and me being a paranoid freak and only want to help my birds I thought I'd ask for advice or opinions after doing what I know already...

It was a joke about how messy birds are. It reads something like this:

"How can I tell if my bird is drinking?

There is food in the water dish! Don't know why they can't finish eating before they get a drink!"

Not a dig at all.

CallmeSweetie

Real Name
Andrea
Yeah it's the old US english humour neither of us gets the others jokes :)

CallmeSweetie

Real Name
Andrea
sorry Carys i mean welsh too! US UK :) My folks live there thats how i won the where is that photo contest lol

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
No, not a dig at you at all! I am talking ABOUT my bird!

Carys1249

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Carys Beynon
Sorry guys I was having a bad day SORRY!!! I think I misunderstood the humour to the UK lol I'm still a little worried but only because he's younger than what I was told the only problem I got now is because he's a baby is it normal their eyes aren't so big to like my 9 month Joey?

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi guys I'm a little worried about baby stu he seems to eat a load and shout a lot when he's alone but I haven't seen him drink anything since being here and I'm getting worried :( I've put a smaller bowl on the floor in case but he goes all over his perches etc just dunno what to do :(
You can maybe get a bird water silo... something like this - Amazon.com : JW Pet Company Clean Water Silo Waterer Bird Accessory, Tall (Colors Vary) : Pet Bird Feeders : Pet Supplies

If the water level is down, that could help you indicate he is drinking water.