• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
"so would you guys advise to use a toy to train her or not": nothing similar to what you WANT her to play with/show interest in... you will want to give her/send her to something other than the bird... so the "no" command should be about something she cannot ever have...toys good, bird bad-bird is not a toy... shouldn't confuse the two...

and your dog sure is cute!

themacaw

Walking the driveway
thamks sweet louise, so what do ya think is the best option

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I have a malamute retriever mix who has a high prey drive and is an excellent hunter (will kill a rabbit on a leash before I even know the rabbit is there) I never have both out at the same time it's either the birds or the dog. When the dog is out the birds are locked in the cage when the birds are out the dog is locked (with padlocks) in his crate and covered. I don't even allow the dog to spend more than 30 seconds paying attention to the bird cage.

themacaw

Walking the driveway
ok thanks Robyn my English bull terrier also chases everything that move even something like a marble, so her pray drive is also most likely very high, thanks

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
"so would you guys advise to use a toy to train her or not": nothing similar to what you WANT her to play with/show interest in... you will want to give her/send her to something other than the bird... so the "no" command should be about something she cannot ever have...toys good, bird bad-bird is not a toy... shouldn't confuse the two...

and your dog sure is cute!
ok thanks Robyn my English bull terrier also chases everything that move even something like a marble, so her pray drive is also most likely very high, thanks

You might need to consider separating the dog and bird if any interest is there....but if training to "no" object, I would pick something she isn't supposed to have, like a sock? a shoe? a food item that she isn't supposed to have? (something she will want but won't get as a treat-a piece of bread?) You'll be training to obedience to verbal commands. When you get the bird, you can train her to stay away from the cage/associate with the bird. Some folks here advocate complete separation. Have to find what works for you and your pets. There isn't a lot of room for error as birds are pretty delicate if they can't get away. my dogs fear the beak and view the birds as a source of food/not a food source: Louise regularly feeds them/drops food and they like that very much.

themacaw

Walking the driveway
ok thanks so will getting a bird cage and training her to stay away help, sorry im asking a lot of questions here

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Anytime you have a predator and a prey animal a cage for one them is necessary as you can't always be around and you don't want something to happen when your out grocery shopping or something. If you allow the dog and bird to interact you will have to be 100% aware of everything that is going on to avoid accidents.

themacaw

Walking the driveway
ok thanks a lot Robyn when i get my bird i will be sure to have a cage for him/her