• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus apartment experiences

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
Hi!

I'm meeting a guy today that's selling his ekkie, I'll bring my carrier and money just in case ;)
But what's your experiences with living in an apartment and owning an eclectus?
Right now we have some construction workers round here that start at 7:30-8am, so right now I think that if he turns out to be a noisy boy, moving and all, and he's like 6 months old, this'd be the time to try to redirect it. No idea how I'd go about that though.

So anyway, an eclectus in an apartment; yay or nay? What's your experience?
Any tips on finding the cause for the screaming would be greatly appreciate as well!

all4stvoyager

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
I lived in apartment for 6 years with 2 ekkies. I never had a problem, but the walls were relatively thick, and luckily mine aren't loud...I'm not sure how much that helps....I have read that if you are going to have a larger bird, ekkies are prob your best bet for an apt...but again, it depends on the birdie :)

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My experience with eckies is at the shelter. Depends on the bird, but their vocals are not for anyone who stresses or has any type of anxiety issues. And when they do sound off your neighbors will know he is there no doubt. We have a female at the shelter right now who is not a screamer but again when she's voicing her opinion, no mistaking her over even the macaws and Amazons. The last male we had was excruciatingly painfully loud all the time. He's different in his new home, but kinda pound for pound (gram for gram more like it), an eckie can have one of the most piercing and loud screams.

I am sure there are many eckies happily living in.apartments, but just be prrpared if you have neighbors with babies or little kids, anyone with anxiety issues or such, you may be facing complaints and dealing with your landlord/property managers. Or he could be a fairly quiet boy.

Hate to say, meeting the bird one time you won't have many anawers. And sellers trying to get the bird out the door may not tell you he wakes up at 6 am announcing to the world that its a miracle and there is light once again......

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I have a male that is about 2.5 yrs old. I can say that the way Reza is, we would not be okay in an apartment. Maybe the first year we could have pulled it off but definitely not now. Their little noises are okay but they all eventually find their voice. Even when Reza is talking; which is mostly all day, it is loud. And picking up on different whistles can be on the loud side as well. I live in a house and my neighbors definitely know he is here. I can walk down the street and still hear him!

The eclectus you may get is still young at 6 months old. He will be going through many changes over the next few years. :)

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
Thanks guys :)
I did pick up a red sided ekkie today, so far, so good. He's been pretty tired though. Not a lot of noise yet.
Just have to hope it won't be too bad. He's preening himself now, I guess it's time to go to bed soon ;) I get up at 4:30-5am in the morning, so him waking me up in the mornings won't be a problem. For me personally.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I had Rosco in an apartment and worried every day that we would get noise complaints. I could hear him from two blocks away when he got going. It's not constant but it is multiple times per day, and that's him being a happy guy. A screaming eclectus is not necessarily an upset eclectus. Sometimes he is just running back and forth across the top of his cage flapping and shrieking his fool head off. We bought a house this winter and it's taken such a weight off of my shoulders.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
My ekkie was fine for 2 years in an apartment. He was definitely more quiet than my 'too. Again, no one ever complained.

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
So far so good, he's only making quiet little squawks :) He's a sweet little boy, I'll make introduction thread later today!

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
Oh gosh, I didn't even pick up on the too in an apartment, that's crazy!

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
@bicmeister , you got away with having a 'too in an apartment? :faint: I am so jealous ;)
i am really lucky but ive noticed that my birds are rowdy during the morning and night. i covered them at night with a strict bed time at 10 PM and they stopped making noises completely until i removed the covering in the morning. they never woke up my neighbors!

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
I had Rosco in an apartment and worried every day that we would get noise complaints. I could hear him from two blocks away when he got going. It's not constant but it is multiple times per day, and that's him being a happy guy. A screaming eclectus is not necessarily an upset eclectus. Sometimes he is just running back and forth across the top of his cage flapping and shrieking his fool head off. We bought a house this winter and it's taken such a weight off of my shoulders.
I just adopted a Patagonian and boy do I feel your pain! I have a camera on her while I'm at work and I'm hearing her making noise and I'm so worried about getting complaints from our neighboring apartments!