• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The first time!! *ecstatic*

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
This afternoon, Brodie repeated something I said, for the first time since moving in with us over a month ago. :D It was hilarious because he did it in a very feminine voice and I don't really have that feminine of a voice, but I guess what he repeated ("jet fighter!!" for when he raises his wings up a little, with an accompanying dance) is something I do kinda sing in a gentle, soft voice.

It cracked me up! :laughin: And then I told him he was awesome and I loved him, and thanked him very much for saying that. :D

I hear him sometimes in the living room when I'm not in there, saying stuff in a very soft feminine voice, so I'm wondering what else he's practicing that I've said or done!! :chin: I know he's working on a song of some sort but I'm not sure if that's him doing improv, or if he's repeating something that I sing a lot... except I can't think of anything that I sing a lot.

What was the first thing that you said that your Grey repeated? Do share!! (This feels very much to me, like a baby's first word being your name [or "title" -- mama, dada, etc.] and how special that must feel... :heart: )

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww...awesome!:dance4:

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
the first thing I got were 2 specific whistles, then a hello, then a helple, and she is working on hello love. yesterday, I got what sounded like a rock and roll-that and door creak that he picked up from Grady. There have been a few other words that haven't been repeated--all from visiting Grady.

QP4CAG

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
First thing my grey said to me was in a form of a sweet little whisper...."i love you" completely melted my heart....and my quaker's first word was of course, "step up." still it was cute. Keep up the good work!!:highfive:

Simbaht

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Simba
That is so adorable! It's always exciting to hear them speak for the first time:cantwait:

When I got Timon I was told he had no vocabulary and only knew a few basic sounds (the microwave things of that sort)

It was the funniest thing, it was the second day I brought him home - I was waiting on delivery for a few things I bought online so I kept my front door open since our doorbell wasnt working. I heard a deep CLEAR manly voice go "Hello?". So I ran upstairs thinking my package was here, to my surprise nope it wasnt.

It happened again and by then I was convinced that I was just hearing things. I turned around and I heard yet another, and this time I noticed it was yours truly - Timon :laughing10:

I still can't decide what made me happier, the fact that I discovered I wasnt crazy or the fact that Timon spoke for the first time :laughin:

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
Well, when we adopted Brodie, we knew he already had a large vocab, but it's so cool to hear him emulating stuff that I say... hilarious and heart-warming. :swoon:

I do love how he did the different phrases on the second and third day he lived here though... going from "do you like Brodie?" (after which I insisted that I really did like him!) to a much more insistent "Do you LOVE Brodie?" :dance2:

ETA: The only things he says/emulates that I don't like are his collection of farts/burps, his creaky door noise (he's perfected our apartment door opening and I HATE that haha), and his creepy laugh. The laugh is my least favorite because it really is pretty freakin' creepy! Very horror-movie stalker-ish. (And I have a way overactive imagination. ;))

He asked me yesterday if I was a bird boy. (I told him no, I'm a bird girl instead... :D)

Chandler

Strolling the yard
I think my laugh was the first thing Budweiser mimicked and it was great! He had brought along other words and sounds from his previous owners of 16 years but that was the first thing that specifically came from me. I didn't realize it at first, I thought it was just a laugh that he had picked up from tv or his former home until my dad started cracking up and said "that was a spot on mimic of your laugh". It's funny you don't know what you sound like until you hear it back!