• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can't Move bird back to cage

hannahNala

Strolling the yard
Octavia is a new bird of mine and I leave her cage open when I go to the kitchen( I can see from the window, so its all safe) but usually when I come back in the room she'll get back in her cage. Shes on the floor by my dresser and she wont go back to her cage. I dont want to push her back with force so I've kinda just left her there. It's been a few hours now and she's still sleeping in the same spot. I dont want to rush her but Im supposed to go somewhere today and can't leave her out without my supervision. I read online I can "towel" her but I don't like the sounds of it. Im not sure what to do any suggestions.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
If she's not willing to step up onto your hand, can you get her to step onto a perch or long stick and move her that way? Can you coax her back into her cage by putting something really tasty in her food bowl?

Toweling isn't exactly the most pleasant way to hold a bird, but it's a safe way handle and move them when it's necessary. You certainly can't leave her out unsupervised so if all else fails toweling is probably going to be your only option. Since you're really just toweling her to move her the experience will be pretty short and probably won't cause her too much distress.

hannahNala

Strolling the yard
If she's not willing to step up onto your hand, can you get her to step onto a perch or long stick and move her that way? Can you coax her back into her cage by putting something really tasty in her food bowl?

Toweling isn't exactly the most pleasant way to hold a bird, but it's a safe way handle and move them when it's necessary. You certainly can't leave her out unsupervised so if all else fails toweling is probably going to be your only option. Since you're really just toweling her to move her the experience will be pretty short and probably won't cause her too much distress.
She ran from the perch to her cage when she saw it. Problem solved, I wanted her to be less scared but thats ok, they're really wouldn't have been a better way. Thanks.