• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice in containing a macaw

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Dang hon! You sound like you're up a creek without a paddle! We'll keep trying and get something figured out for you!
I liked the suggestion of getting the large powder coated kennel and then adding the thought of making it really enriching/only short stays in there to possibly calm her otherwise mischievous beak.
Wood frame and wire was a good idea if you can find a strong enough wire that is a safe metal and if your macaw isn't particularly a huge chewer of wood or can be distracted to chewing on toys/foraging.

A couple of DIY kind of long but not too long shot ideas....using the thickest gauge yet macaw safe metal wire you can find/afford...

1. Do you have an extra pantry or closet you can completely clean out and remove the doors from? After you do that, wire in the entire opened front and of course make a "door" of some kind. Then bird proof the inside and load it up with whatever toys and perches you can make/get. You can potentially get a very nice and very large space this for a macaw this way.

2. You could try getting an old unwanted china/dish/large cabinet from a store or someone's home/sale. Remove all of the glass and wire in all of the openings. Most of these cases have a door built in so there's no need to worry about making one versus if you go the empty pantry/closet route. Although potentially smaller, it is definitely bigger than most pet cages and if her stay is temporary and it's full of fun things, she'll be okay. These types of cages can actually be very beautiful when done professionally.... I understand that isn't possible right now but it's let you know that cages can definitely be more of a "pretty display case" over a barred chamber.

Either one can save you on materials for an entire frame from scratch that may be less that sturdy, money from shipping something big/heavy over seas, and keep her out of wires in stuff. Making this work may require some work and sacrifices but they will be worth it. I'm sure you'll find a way.
:cheer:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yeah...I didn't know PVC was dangerous. Tons of Val's things are made with PVC. I am all for changing things if need be but potentially learning that PVC was dangerous came as a surprise!

There is nothing wrong with using PVC. It does not chip or flake and has a hard surface that is almost in unchewable. How is that dangerous.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Dang hon! You sound like you're up a creek without a paddle! We'll keep trying and get something figured out for you!
I liked the suggestion of getting the large powder coated kennel and then adding the thought of making it really enriching/only short stays in there to possibly calm her otherwise mischievous beak.
Wood frame and wire was a good idea if you can find a strong enough wire that is a safe metal and if your macaw isn't particularly a huge chewer of wood or can be distracted to chewing on toys/foraging.

A couple of DIY kind of long but not too long shot ideas....using the thickest gauge yet macaw safe metal wire you can find/afford...

1. Do you have an extra pantry or closet you can completely clean out and remove the doors from? After you do that, wire in the entire opened front and of course make a "door" of some kind. Then bird proof the inside and load it up with whatever toys and perches you can make/get. You can potentially get a very nice and very large space this for a macaw this way.

2. You could try getting an old unwanted china/dish/large cabinet from a store or someone's home/sale. Remove all of the glass and wire in all of the openings. Most of these cases have a door built in so there's no need to worry about making one versus if you go the empty pantry/closet route. Although potentially smaller, it is definitely bigger than most pet cages and if her stay is temporary and it's full of fun things, she'll be okay. These types of cages can actually be very beautiful when done professionally.... I understand that isn't possible right now but it's let you know that cages can definitely be more of a "pretty display case" over a barred chamber.

Either one can save you on materials for an entire frame from scratch that may be less that sturdy, money from shipping something big/heavy over seas, and keep her out of wires in stuff. Making this work may require some work and sacrifices but they will be worth it. I'm sure you'll find a way.
:cheer:
To add to this.

The food pantry should be walk-in size not kitchen cabinet size.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
There is nothing wrong with using PVC. It does not chip or flake and has a hard surface that is almost in unchewable. How is that dangerous.

Guess you don't have birds that have chipped that stuff

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Guess you don't have birds that have chipped that stuff

If assembled properly with no loose ends and the use of fittings/end caps there isn't even a place to get ahold of it?

But even if they do manage to chip a piece off, how is that any more dangerous than chipping a piece of wood?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Something like an outdoor powder coated dog kennel is going to have to work. Better than chewing on electrical cords and such when she is not home.
If the dog kennel base steel is electroplated it will be safe.

BigMacWonder

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
Sorry for my long delay updates and replies!!! My apologies!!

You people are wonderful, to say the least!! Everyone is SOOOOOO helpful!! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

Last couple of days I put a tray of foods on top of a cage by the window she likes to spend her time. She was okay for a couple of hours as long as there are foods. I don't think this is a permanent solution, since I am home all the time unless doing chores, I think temporary is fine. For long term though, we are looking for a house with a bit of land at the side to built an aviary and her own room which means I need at least a five bedrooms house or a four bedrooms without guest room which is completely fine with me either.

So in the mean time, I will try to focus her on that tray of foods and toys. If this doesn't pan out, I might just get that macaw size cage from eBay. The reason I hold up the thought, beside my plan to put her in her own room, I want to buy the king cage. It will cost me a few thousand to get over here, well I spent more than 400bucks to buy a play gym from US so..... what am I squeaking about? heh?

Here are some photos from my netcam, not to proof my point. I just like to share photo and my joys to have them with me.

P.S. she is slowly showing her cheeky, destructive sides.... hahahahaha.... but she is CUTE, she could get away with murder. lol!

IMG_4850.JPG

This is my current setup in the room with a plan putting up a gym jungle in the middle of the room.

IMG_4831.JPG

IMG_4842.JPG
My only solution to keep the electrical goods safe from the Galah. I think it was the Galah that knock the netcam off. lol!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If that's her playgym, I think it's too low to the ground. My birds would never stay on something that low. Can you get it higher off the ground and near the window so she can look out? Maybe hang a couple toys or large boings from a stud in the ceiling over it. I know pple have said the gym is too small for her (and I agree), but maybe those things will help her stay on it a little longer.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is she flying in the room? What about some hanging swings? Maybe if on the ceiling she would stay out of trouble when you are not home.

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
If that's her playgym, I think it's too low to the ground. My birds would never stay on something that low. Can you get it higher off the ground and near the window so she can look out? Maybe hang a couple toys or large boings from a stud in the ceiling over it. I know pple have said the gym is too small for her (and I agree), but maybe those things will help her stay on it a little longer.
No that's her stand. I am contemplating what should I buy for her play gym. I got two cage top play gyms for the smaller parrots but her's is a problem. I planned to put up the adjustable poles to hang toys and a climbing net. speaking of that, may I ask which type should I buy? Climbing Nets|Cargo/Canopy Nets for Parrots|Discounted - Free Shipping Available

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
Is she flying in the room? What about some hanging swings? Maybe if on the ceiling she would stay out of trouble when you are not home.
Oh yea, she walks, climbs and flies everywhere in the apartment. I am looking at swings or the atom ball (either buy online for make one with rattan hoop) just not sure which one to go.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
No that's her stand. I am contemplating what should I buy for her play gym. I got two cage top play gyms for the smaller parrots but her's is a problem. I planned to put up the adjustable poles to hang toys and a climbing net. speaking of that, may I ask which type should I buy? Climbing Nets|Cargo/Canopy Nets for Parrots|Discounted - Free Shipping Available
Personally, I would purchase the large net. When hanging the net, she will probably get more enjoyment out of it if you hang the net horizontally instead of vertically. As for the stand, until you are able to purchase/build something that you feel she will enjoy more, do you have a small table that you could put her current stand on top of? If it is closer to the height of her cage, she may feel more comfortable spending time on it.

Matt

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The stand needs to be higher, up on a table for instance as expressmailtome suggests. It is too low to the ground.

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
Personally, I would purchase the large net. When hanging the net, she will probably get more enjoyment out of it if you hang the net horizontally instead of vertically. As for the stand, until you are able to purchase/build something that you feel she will enjoy more, do you have a small table that you could put her current stand on top of? If it is closer to the height of her cage, she may feel more comfortable spending time on it.

Matt
The stand needs to be higher, up on a table for instance as expressmailtome suggests. It is too low to the ground.
Will see what I can do, I did buy a table for placing a table top play gym in the first place. I could probably use it.

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
The adjustable poles have zinc coating...so..... gotta return all. Now I think my only choice to hang the cargo net is install hooks on the ceiling. I wonder I should get a powder coated metal play stand for her...hmm..decision decision decision.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Id be very nervous of that big macaw around your little birds. Not only are (big macaws) they capable of destroying those cages she stands on during the day, but she is very capable of killing or maiming (biting a leg, wing, beak off) of the smaller birds.

Please be very very very careful!

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
They are all inside their cage when I am out except the macaw. They understood she is the biggest bird after being lunged at except the Cin. Conure. No matter how they interact I wouldn't let them out together at the same in time in a room unless I am there to supervise.

whenever I am at home, all she wants is perch on me or closed to watch me. LOL! There is no privacy when one has parrots especially medium or big parrots. smh.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
They are all inside their cage when I am out except the macaw. They understood she is the biggest bird after being lunged at except the Cin. Conure. No matter how they interact I wouldn't let them out together at the same in time in a room unless I am there to supervise.

whenever I am at home, all she wants is perch on me or closed to watch me. LOL! There is no privacy when one has parrots especially medium or big parrots. smh.
I think what @Bokkapooh means is she could easily break the bars on the littles cages and easily maim them *if* she wanted to while you are not home. And even through the bars she could get them. Animals are sometimes unpredictable