• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck beak

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pic please, My Ringneck has a red top beak and and a blackish bottom beak. I've see alot of variations on this.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Is there any possibility that you have an AFRICAN ringneck which have naturally dark beaks compared to their INDIAN ringneck counterparts?

Agree though, pictures would help.

themacaw

Walking the driveway
jip i would trust what monica said, we lived in south africa and caught a ringneck once that was injured and we thought it was a pet indian ringneck that got away but then i saw her beak was very dark and googled it and she turned out to be a african ringneck

KARLA

Moving in
20151224_205000.jpg 20151224_204843.jpg Okay so this bird is an Indian ring neck parrot he belongs to my sister in law we dnt know how old he is n isn't friendly so hard to get a good pic of beak I been trying to help her properly care for him so was wondering why the beak changes color n if it has to due with age to see if we could determine how old he is

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He looks good to me, the boys get they're rings around 2 years old.

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
The first pic made me think he's an African ringneck, but the second not so much... He doesn't seem to have much pink in his ring. I'm sure Monica will have a better idea than me.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
He is very pretty though!

KARLA

Moving in
Thanks... my sister in law feels like he is an old man cuz he won't play with toys or try new things but I tell her that all takes time n lots of love n affection on her part which she does not due so he doesn't talk or interact with us... I try n play with him wen I go over but his bites hurt worse than my lil birds but I won't give up on him

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Ringnecks can be pretty shy/nervous with new things and people. They don't tend to be as playful as someother types of parrots.
I have 2 and neither likes to be petted at all, yet they are affectionate in their own way... well we think they are. Our hen will fly over to us, preen an eyelash for 2 seconds or so and zoom off to chew something. We consider that to be her way of showing "affection".

Ringnecks tend to bite when they are nervous, especially if they can't get away. Instead of trying to play with him or handle him you can try just giving him treats and let him come to you for treats. Bites commonly mean the ringneck is trying to tell you "back off because I'm scared." Avoid doing things that make him bite or run away.

KARLA

Moving in
Everything makes him scared if I get near his cage he starts hoping to different area of his cage n starts flapping his wings trying to fly away if I try and offer him a treat he lunges at me to bite me he only eats one type of food so he doesn't like treats I have tried different types of fresh fruit n veggies and some nutrie berries but nothing has worked but I'll keep trying one day he will come to me

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Considering the location of this ringneck, and the coloration (eyes, ring, beak), I'm leaning towards an African Ringneck myself... and *possibly* a wild caught one at that.

Karla, can you tell us more about the ringneck? i.e. where did he come from? Can you get some better quality pictures of him? Does he have a leg band by any chance? Was the beak that coloration when your SIL got him, or did it change?

I'm about ~8 hours north of you and ended up with a wild caught female african ringneck. She was imported May of 2013.... making her maybe around 3 years old now? If not older... her beak is especially dark.

Sylphie might chew up toys, but she doesn't play with them. She's a *great* eater (seeds, pellets, nutriberries, fresh and cooked foods...), but not tame and friendly. Admittedly, I haven't worked with her much, and she has only recently shown interest in being close to humans. Monkey see, monkey do kind of situation, though.... as in, she watches the cockatiels eating from my hands and she wants some of the food as well, but she and the cockatiels don't get along... so she'll come over, scare the cockatiels off, then freak out because there's no one there eating from my hand, then take off. :rolleyes:

Little bit more info about her, here.....

African Ringeck, Imports, Food & Damaged Feathers | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I agree with Claire, though. Put food in his cage, then back away from the cage at whatever distance that he is comfortable with you at where he would eat. This could be 5 feet away, or it could be 10 feet away. Find that distance and remain there each time you feed him. Don't look directly at him, either. Looking at him directly could make him feel uncomfortable, because humans are predators and he's prey. Do this for several days, remaining at the same distance. After several days, you can try moving maybe 4-8 inches closer and repeating for several days before attempting to move closer yet again.

You can also try walking towards his cage and the moment you see him tense up (close nit feathers, looking to escape and avoid you), stop. Watch and see if he'll relax, and if he does, then back off. Then slowly repeat walking towards him and stop once he tenses. Back off once he relaxes. Doing this is a form of communication and is trying to tell him that you wont proceed if he's unsettled. If he relaxes, which you want him to do, then you'll give him his space.

KARLA

Moving in
My sister in law bought him from a man that breeds and sells ringneck here in Las Vegas nv out of his back yard (I know all bad I dnt condone) he doesn't interact with them the first one she bough from him bit alot so she exchanged him for this one the seller told her he was a baby but he already had a full ring around his neck but her not knowing didn't question it she has had him for a year but hasn't worked much with him so he has slowly become more n more scared of us we used to be able to hold him wen she first got him...he has tried to run away n has one time been successful he was missing for two days...

Marci11

Meeting neighbors
I would say African for sure! He looks exactly like my "Bells" Indians usually do not have a tail that long. Let me know if you have any questions. I can also provide more pictures of mine if you would like.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Glad to know he's captive raised rather than wild caught!

I've heard that ringnecks can go "wild" if not interacted with frequently (but then, I think any bird could.... just perhaps some species are more prone than others?), and you're SIL is working with not only a ringneck, but one that hasn't been hand raised. AND! He's older! Although it is easier to work with young, hand raised birds, some amount of trust can still be gained if you work with him right. :)