• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(Journal) Working with Puffy - Fear/Aggression

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd say try the corner cage on him. I know that corner/round cages are somewhat pariah here but if this corner cage is truly in a corner and it gives a new fid the security of being able to see everything approaching, I do think it will be good for him. To put it in comparison children who've grown up locked in a room or a tight space until they are rescued, are equally afraid of everything new. Of the four Quakers I have, 2 I got as babies and 2 I adopted. Loofa came from Pretty in Pink and is an absolute doll and is now 6 years old. Miss Daisy/Daisy is age unknown, taken in as a feral Quaker chick with a broken wing (never set); Edie just didn't stick, and Miss Daisy (aka Jaws) has now been with us for 6-7 years. The babies are boys and live separately; the girls share a cage and appear to be extremely happy doing so.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I'm waiting to get my stuff from the SWS to decide. I still don't know if I want to put the massive Loro back in the bedroom :depressed:

Puffy's still in super aggro mode, though. Once he's settled down in a permanent cage I'll start leaving the door open so he can come out if he wants. I'm just worried right now he might not want to go back in the new, scary cage, and it would be a rodeo trying to get him back in there.

Last edited:

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Puffy's new thing is screaming at me whenever I'm in the dining room :cautious:

He will talk and whistle and bark and cluck back and forth across the house with me - but as soon as I'm in the room, it's friends off :wacky:

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
dose he let you hand feed him treats, when he is in his cage? my girl loves avicakes as a treat. you could try giving him treat when you come into the room.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
dose he let you hand feed him treats, when he is in his cage? my girl loves avicakes as a treat. you could try giving him treat when you come into the room.
Yes, but not without aggressive display the whole way. He'll huff angrily while eating what I just gave him :wacky:

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
oh really I see, I guess it will take sometime to trust you and see that you are a good person not going to hurt him. has he bitten you yet or just puts on a show?

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Hello Jaguar,
I have 6 Quakers. 3 are rehomes. It will take some time, for Puffy to get used to new surroundings, 1 of my Quakers ( Jake) had 3 homes before he came home to us.I knew his 1st owner and he was well loved there , but that faded later on.So when I adopted Jake he was scared and was going wild. I put him in Quarantine, and worked with him daily, earning his trust, I did it slowly, for him to accept me, and his new surroundings. I put a radio on for my flock, & they really enjoy it, try a radio for Puffy, they like music, and it calms them down.Take baby steps with Puffy, sometimes it takes longer for others to accept new changes. Have plenty of patience too. To this day, you would not believe the change in Jake, He is a very happy Quaker, that talks, sings , gives kisses, such a sweetheart he is and he is so gentle to.Also when you give him toys, some Quakers like mine, will give the evil eye to them, for a few days, till they are used to them, before they will even play with them. look forward to reading the progress on how Puffy is doing.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
oh really I see, I guess it will take sometime to trust you and see that you are a good person not going to hurt him. has he bitten you yet or just puts on a show?
Haven't gotten my hands close enough to find out. I haven't as much as thought about touching him yet. Only toweled him once to give him a physical check over when I got him.

All he does is scream at me until he knows I'm gone...

:banghead:

makes my SO soooo madddd. Lots of tension in the house the past few days...

Last edited:

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
I understand when I fist got jazzy she was noisy and did scream at times. once I got her to make other sounds and talking she stopped doing that. now she talks and makes softer sounds. have you played youtube videos other parrots taking and making sounds for him to learn I still do that with jazzy as she likes to be on my laptop and she enjoys hearing the other parrots talking and she makes sounds be to the video lol

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I understand when I fist got jazzy she was noisy and did scream at times. once I got her to make other sounds and talking she stopped doing that. now she talks and makes softer sounds. have you played youtube videos other parrots taking and making sounds for him to learn I still do that with jazzy as she likes to be on my laptop and she enjoys hearing the other parrots talking and she makes sounds be to the video lol
Sometimes when he's in a good mood he'll babble back and forth with me for an hour... but I have to be out of his sight... he just really doesn't like looking at me. :eek:

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Oh man I can't believe how angry this little bird is!

From the minute I take the cover off the cage to when he goes to bed, it's hiss hiss huff huff puff scream strut!

I can't even stay in the kitchen long enough to make a damn piece of toast! Eating dinner at the kitchen table is not even an option. I should just get rid of it at this point!

I am really gonna focus on trying to convince him to come out of his cage. Maybe being locked in a blanket-covered budgie sized cage for nearly a year made him a little territorial, to say the least. He is peeved at the world, me especially :eek:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you think he'd like being in the same room with your tiels? Quarantine is over, right? Not out roaming free with them but maybe he'd enjoy seeing other birds? Just a thought......

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Do you think he'd like being in the same room with your tiels? Quarantine is over, right? Not out roaming free with them but maybe he'd enjoy seeing other birds? Just a thought......
I tried putting the tiels in the dining room beside him for a few days and they were SO noisy together I couldn't handle it :eek:

No one's home til the 20th so I could try it again but it was just ... wow. Loud. That and there's not really the room anywhere in my house for 2 cages

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I tried putting the tiels in the dining room beside him for a few days and they were SO noisy together I couldn't handle it :eek:

No one's home til the 20th so I could try it again but it was just ... wow. Loud. That and there's not really the room anywhere in my house for 2 cages
I thought they would be quieter together- I guess that wasn't the case. If he's home alone though he might like it?

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I thought they would be quieter together- I guess that wasn't the case. If he's home alone though he might like it?
The tiels didn't give 2 hoots about him or his noise, but any peep they made sent him off screaming. I think he was a bit afraid of them, and though I think he'd settle down if he had some time to get used to them, I have to keep noise to a minimum. He's loud enough as it is! And he's never home alone - I am always here, and he has a radio on during the day. Not that he's too thrilled about my presence at the moment.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Ew. Puffy's a soup maker. I just watched him take a chunk of walnut, hold it in his beak, dip it in his water, roll it around in his mouth to make a bit of a paste, lick it a bit, rinse and repeat... I wondered how his water got so soupy without there actually being any "chunks" in it...