• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting question

Shahrn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rohan
My cockatiel is 1.5 years old, and he's currently molting. He's been molting for about 2 weeks now. I know they are usually less active around this time. He's usually chirpy and talkative, but he's been sleepy a lot lately. I've heard this is normal, but i'm curious: how long will this last? When will be back to normal?

Raa

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kirra
Moulting can take a few months depending on the bird, although the worst of it usually only lasts a few weeks. Make sure he's getting daily baths/showers and up his Calcium intake. Scrambled eggs (just the eggs no milk) with the shells crushed into the mix is good for this.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Moulting stinks! They're tired, grumpy, moody,,,this shall pass after a couple months.

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
I'm so happy you asked this question as I was wondering too! Sweetie is molting at least 6 weeks already and she hasn't even finished her head yet!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My BE2 molted for 6 months this last spring/summer. The vet said molts just vary, and he checked out fine. As long as there are no bare areas, sores, or weird looking feathers it should be ok. A good diet, baths, and sufficient nighttime sleep are important to help your bird feel more comfortable.

Toffee's owner

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vinny
Omg my bird is just the same! He was usually non stop talk talk almost to the point of shhhhhh Toffee, but since about 3 or 4 weeks ago I swear hes been molting (again!). Hes talking way less now and basically just 'chirping' every now and then. I guess this is normal? He is 15 months old.