• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlets Baby pics

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
image.jpg Hatched a few days ago.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Good luck with them.

Matt

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Oh Melissa how exciting.
If you get the chance can you tell us more?
How did the hatching go?
How are the parents feeding them?
Was this their first clutch?
Come on - spill it for us! The good and the bad.
BTW - those chicks are ugly and they are NAKED.:D

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
How sweet! Please, if possible, post update pictures of them!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh Melissa how exciting.
If you get the chance can you tell us more?
How did the hatching go?
How are the parents feeding them?
Was this their first clutch?
Come on - spill it for us! The good and the bad.
BTW - those chicks are ugly and they are NAKED.:D
I'm not exactly sure of the specifics since I don't check the box very often and this is the first time I've caught the mom off the nest for over a week. The oldest baby might be approaching a week old. I'm pretty sure I documented hatchday somewhere for that baby. The other baby I think hatched sometime in the last 48 hours, but he could have just been hiding under mom's wing when I checked earlier this week. I think there were a couple of infertile eggs in the clutch and I don't know if they were the last ones laid or if their was an infertile or dead in shell somewhere between the two successful hatches. This is the parents 3rd clutch, so I have been trusting that they know what they are doing and just periodically take a peak to make sure there is actually still a baby in there. Parents seem to be feeding them well. I go in a couple times a day and load them up with cooked or sprouted grains and other veggies. I'm a little bit of a slacker in terms of monitoring babies in the nest for parrotlets. I don't like handling babies so small, I don't like having to physically move the mom just to look at the babies, so I tend to only have a general idea of what is going on in parrotlet nest boxes until I pull for hand-feeding. I'll probably wait until they are about 2.5 weeks and then pull them out to hand-feed.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Thank you. I don't have birdies that small and it's fun to watch and learn. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
What are the babies like when they are ready to leave? When I got Yoshi he was very people oriented because of how his breeder raised him. Do you have homes set up already??

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What are the babies like when they are ready to leave? When I got Yoshi he was very people oriented because of how his breeder raised him. Do you have homes set up already??
No homes set up yet. Parrotlet babies are fairly easy to sell even if I'm picky. And with only two of them, I'm not terribly worried about not being able to sell them. Parrotlet babies vary. It took me quite a number of years to figure out the secret to making sweet parrotlets. Its basically, don't handle them much. If I try to hold them a lot, then they decide my flesh is fun to make bleed and it becomes habit forming. I think it frustrates them if I try to hold them too much and they'd rather flit back and forth and fly and play. If I have them do a quick step up and a kiss and then step back down and let them play with their siblings while they work through their I Want to Bite Everything phase, then they turn out pretty sweet. Most are very people oriented so long as I start hand-feeding before they are 21 days old.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I'm so tempted to bring in another parrotlet. Yoshi really is so much fun, even with all his moods. He is just very easy for me to understand and I like that. I just don't know if I would be interested in a female or male. Are they pretty much the same in your experience? How are the females mood swings compared to the males?

Hate to bother you with the questions...I just see babies and... there I go thinking!!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so tempted to bring in another parrotlet. Yoshi really is so much fun, even with all his moods. He is just very easy for me to understand and I like that. I just don't know if I would be interested in a female or male. Are they pretty much the same in your experience? How are the females mood swings compared to the males?

Hate to bother you with the questions...I just see babies and... there I go thinking!!
As pets I think the sexes are pretty similar. It seems like females always get a bad rap for being aggressive but as pets I don't see it. As breeders, yes the females are more aggressive. If I have to clean cages and remove one of the untame breeders by hand, the female is always the one that bites me hard. Both sexes as pets can be territiorial around their cage. My mom's male which is the uncle of these babies on the dad's side is cage territorial. My female which is the aunt on the mother's side is also cage territorial, but she took longer to get that way. Both are fine when removed from the cage. Actually, I normally just open the cage door and let them come out on their own.

I wouldn't choose based on sex at all. I'd just get the nicest baby from the clutch if you are given a choice. Because they are dimorphic, people put a lot more emphasis on choosing male or female than they should. Many times the nicest baby is the plain looking little female that nobody wants because she doesn't have the pretty blue rump and because "everybody knows" female parrotlet are nasty. Price wise, females are often discounted because everyone wants the flashier males that supposedly have the nicer personalities. In fact, most buyers that are supposedly looking for a nice pet, will often pass over a sweet female in order to get a nippier male that has the prettier blue. As a side comment not directed at you, people are so superficial and weird about looks its annoying. I would make sure that whatever sex you get(if you get a new baby), that it goes into a different cage and you don't let them spend too much time out together getting friendly. I will say that parrotlets tend to have heightened aggression toward other parrotlets of the same sex. If they are housed separately, I'm not sure it'd be much of an issue. I've had two females try to kill each other. I've had male parrotlets show increased aggression toward their male offspring if parent raised and not removed from the cage right after weaning. However, if you get opposite sex birds and let them get friendly during out of cage time, you could end up with pair bonding issues and some nastiness and egg laying.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I didn't even realize female parrotlets had that reputation. I just know I have one moody little guy! Thankfully he isn't cage territorial with us at all. And definitely when it comes to separate cages. Getting a second parrotlet is a huge decision that I haven't been able to make. The bond that Yoshi and I have is special to me and I would hate to mess it up. That is what always stops me.

Thanks for all the info!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
image.jpg Babies today. Oldest is able to stand up with his feet under him a little bit. This being the third clutch, mom is a lot more relaxed about me and I catch her off the nest about every 2-3 days while I'm in there feeding. She doesn't freak out if I open the lid while she's in it, although I don't stick my fingers in there and haven't held the babies at all yet.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Again, thank you for sharing. They still are pretty ugly - but cute.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cool thread! Thanks for this wonderful education! :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats and good luck! :)

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Too CUTE!! Blu wants a friend but we need to wait!!