• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potato Life

yueyue

Meeting neighbors
Hi guy's

Just wanna share how me and my caique are doing. I posted on the forum a few days into getting him and got some really good advice. Now he is the most well tamed caique I have every seen well almost.

His name is Potato and he is just that a dumb little potato. He is now 9 months old. He steps up for anyone and is comfortable with everyone. Only screams when he's looking out the window which isn't that bad. Loves playing with people more then his toys. I got him to learn 3 tricks fetch, roll onto back and jump. He gets 10ml of formula each day cause why not he seems to love it and its good for him.

The only problems i have with him is that he loves fruits,veggie juice and seeds too much and doesn't always eat his pellets enough.

Here's some pictures of him: The 3rd one from the left is potato. There's him on our bbq trip and playing in his playpen which I cleaned out earlier need's some corn cob litter
11802041_10206455495359031_442334650_n.jpg 11923027_10206455496599062_653107507_n.jpg 11936964_10206455497639088_235376792_n.jpg 11945010_10206455500719165_1833882677_n.jpg 11992230_10206455495279029_574616006_n.jpg

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Potato is Gorgeous!. And he's only pretending to be dumb, hes getting a steady flow of juices and seeds and not the hated pellets lol

Try a sweeter pellet. I use a fruity one for my 11, and most of them eat all of it. The babies leave only dust in the bottom of the bowl, haha.

Veggie juice is very good for him, just make sure you vary it

Looks like you're doing a great job!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's adorable!

drpuckster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
Love him, I am a bad parent for not trying to teach anything to my Dennis. Eats runs around plays with me and poops. Repeats. But he brightens up my day. Cant believe you have 4 and all are so well behaved.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am glad that he is doing so well.

Matt

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Very cute little potato you have there. I just wanted to caution against using corn cob bedding as it can harbor harmful molds and bacteria and can cause impaction if ingested.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
What a cute bird. Thanks for sharing.

ShaunaR

Sitting on the front steps
We fed our Caique small amounts formula until she was about 10 months. Our Vet gave me heck for that and said it was too high in fat and could cause her to have heart problems. It could also be the reason Potato isn't crazy about his pellets as he is likely full from the formula. We have been told not to feed sweet colored fruity pellets for the high sugar content. We feed 1/2 cup of Zupreem Natural pellets mixed with Tropimix and that is changed daily. We then feed one meal of veggies in the am and one feeding of fruits in the evening. She gets 1 hour to eat the fresh foods and then the pellet mix stays in the cage 24/7.

yueyue

Meeting neighbors
Very cute little potato you have there. I just wanted to caution against using corn cob bedding as it can harbor harmful molds and bacteria and can cause impaction if ingested.
Ya I know corn cob has these dangers so I regularly change it. They know not to eat it but if you have a suggestion of any better bedding? Cause they love playing in some sort of bedding instead of the hard wood floor.

We fed our Caique small amounts formula until she was about 10 months. Our Vet gave me heck for that and said it was too high in fat and could cause her to have heart problems. It could also be the reason Potato isn't crazy about his pellets as he is likely full from the formula. We have been told not to feed sweet colored fruity pellets for the high sugar content. We feed 1/2 cup of Zupreem Natural pellets mixed with Tropimix and that is changed daily. We then feed one meal of veggies in the am and one feeding of fruits in the evening. She gets 1 hour to eat the fresh foods and then the pellet mix stays in the cage 24/7.
Try A19 nutribird formula for adult birds it's a better formula if you want to give them some. I feed mine about 10ml or less just to give him a taste so it's not filling and makes it easier if they need to take meds. Also they love it and I don't really think it's a problem if it's a little bit. Good for digestive tract too. It's also makes it faster to develop a strong bond. It's like u regurgitated some food for them.

Potato just eats his fill when he know I won't give him anything else then he just gives up and eats his pellets. Just want him to willingly eat it. I feed my guys roudybush, Harrison's and DIY pellets made from a pet shop. I wanna avoid fruit flavour pellets at all cost else he will never eat the others.

Caique_n_Crafts

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Melissa Davis
How u teach thous

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I dont know why you dont like fruity pellets? When at least 30% of a caiques diet should be actual fruit?.

I feed mine fruity pellets every day. They get 5 times more pellets than seed. They also get LOADS OF EXERCISE.

However not all pellets are created equal.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Ahhhh TATER TOTS!!! love them!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Many people dislike giving their birds the fruit blend pellets due to the artificial coloring dyes used in them.

Matt

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:heart:Potato is adorable :heart: Love his name too :cool: