• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

taming

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
my rescue friend wanted me to pick up some budgies for her and when i got home my mom decided she wanted them :hehe: so i guess we have budgies now. one lutino and one normal green, not sure on genders yet. just looking for taming tips. one of them got away and hit the ceiling and walls about a dozen times and cut its cere, then bit me on the face and hands so many times i cried :shy: been bit by orion half a dozen times and never cried! so yeah, don't want a repeat of that. any advice is welcome. should we clip them at first?

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Congratulations! How old are they? Re taming let them settle into their new cage and offer millet. Are you planning on letting them fly out of cage immediately? It may be worth letting them get used to their cage and new surrounds and you first. Chat gently to them and don't stare constantly at them and hopefully they'll begin to realise you're not a threat. Will they be caged together?

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
I'm not a super expert, but I can try to offer some advice on taming.
First things first: Let them set the pace.
when I say this, I mean, don't rush the birds. Let them make the first moves, and don't try to break their comfort zones. If you want them to trust you, they need to feel like they have some control.

In my experience with my own birds and the birds at the store I work at, the best way to start is to move slow around them, talk softly and with genuine care, and give them time to adjust to the sight of you. Sit by them, with your hands folded behind your back, and some distance between you. Just talk to them, or read a book and read aloud so they can get used to your voice. I found that singing works well, too. Over time, you can move your chair a little closer to their cages, to the point where you're next to them. But if they panic when you move closer, take a step back and wait a while before trying again. A little nervous behavior is alright, but panic is not. Once they're getting used to you as a presence and caretaker, you can start working on hand taming. Even if they're not hands-on personalities, it's good to show them that your hands are safe.

I've found a good way to do this is to start with something as simple as leaving your hand on your lap instead of behind your back for a while, then on an armrest, then on a table beside their cage. Same type of thing as when you're getting them used to your presence - birds often see your hand and the rest of you as totally different subjects.
Once they're used to seeing your hands, maybe leave your hand leaned against the bars on the end of a perch - one they have the option to escape from, and the option to voluntarily come investigate.
Another step is to offer them a treat they like from your fingertips - I use things that have length so they don't have to get /too/ close. Gradually reduce this distance until they're comfortably coming over and taking food from your hand.
And keep in mind, this is a process that takes time. Not a day, or a week, but it can take months. If you want them to be truly comfortable with you and feel safe, it's best to let them take the time they need.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I worked with 5 adult, untamed budgies of various ages. All flighted. My goal wasn't really to tame them, just to get them accustomed to my presence and trust in me somewhat. I started out by feeding them every morning by hand their dry food (seeds). After they finished off the food, I would replenish the food in their cages. I would repeat this the next day, and the day after. After a couple of weeks, I had my hand right outside the cage door, rather than inside it. After a while of that, I was standing a few feet away from the cage. Pretty simple!

These budgies were already used to me, as they had been with me for a while (months and years), so they were at least settled in before I started this.

Chihuahua

they will be caged together. i think we will leave them flighted. my mom had wanted to take them out and that's how the one escaped but i'm not going to force them any more

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Looks like you got some great advice!
I don't want you to have to cry again, either!!

Chihuahua

i took a photo of poppy when i caught her, this was right before i was under attack LOL Message_1447452949444.jpg s

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She looks like one unhappy budgie!

slinky-kitty

I hope her cere is ok! Poor darling. It may be worth keeping an eye on it and her nostrils. My beloved Stevie, no longer with us, damaged his cere and developed a nasty infection. I hope things are going well!

Chihuahua

i cleaned their cage and had to take them out so we put the dogs out and put the budgies on the floor. they were not too bothered but still nervous of course. they are ok with people they just don't like hands 20151119_130023.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Wings look clipped pretty short. Hope they continue to settle in!

Chihuahua

They are, we wanted to clip them and with a mild clip they could still fly very well unfortunately. Safer to have them clipped when they are nervous--they were hitting the walls/windows really hard when they escaped.

slinky-kitty

@Chihuahua how are they going? I hope well. Depending on when they molt it may take a while for their flights to grow. In the meant time hopefully you can build your relationship with them :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The budgies in the video are really pretty. Love the markings. Good luck with them. Remember to teach safe flying its better to let them out in a small room rather than give them a severe clip.

Chihuahua

i am not sure my mom is going to bother taming them and i don't really have a lot of time to work with them when i am busy with my own birds... i got them for her under the impression she would actually do something with them but she seems to prefer to just watch them. i will keep trying though.

Chihuahua

also their wings are not that short as they can still fly.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Little birds can be avid flyers. Even with a severe clip, some birds can still fly!

And if they are provided for well, with a healthy diet and a variety of toys and perches, in a large enough cage, they don't *REALLY* need to be tame and friendly. They can be happy as untamed birds. I have four cockatiels, three conures and an african ringneck currently in my home. Out of all of them, I would only consider three of them to be tame, friendly and demanding of human interaction. One would fall under tame and friendly, but currently doesn't demand, nor seek out physical attention. Three fall under the category of "I'll eat from your hands but otherwise I don't really care for you" category. And the ARN isn't in any of those categories, but has been on the verge of going into the last one. She's only interested in food in my hands if the cockatiels are eating from my hands, but she isn't friendly with them, so she tends to growl and scream at them to scare them off, and once the cockatiels are gone, she freaks out and leaves, too. I feel like she would only eat from my hands if a bird she got along with also ate from my hands, only she doesn't get along with any of the others.

slinky-kitty

i am not sure my mom is going to bother taming them and i don't really have a lot of time to work with them when i am busy with my own birds... i got them for her under the impression she would actually do something with them but she seems to prefer to just watch them. i will keep trying though.

They have each other so if she doesn't interact with them/tame them I think they will still be happy little things. My two boys are like an old married couple. They know I'm not a monster but they are not tame. They are very cute to watch though. If I don't maintain daily physical interaction such as millet via fingers though it takes days before they'll accept it from me again. I'm glad things seem to be going well for you all!