• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

another question

themacaw

Walking the driveway
hey guy sorry for posting so many questions,but i would like to know if hornbills need low iron diets thanks

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Yes. Iron Storage Disease is a well-documented problem for hornbills.

themacaw

Walking the driveway
hey thanks painesgrey i asked in the previous post but is wasn't answered, Thanks alot

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
No problem.

From your previous post, I assume you're looking into the Yellow-billed Hornbill? Here's a document that breaks down basics of husbandry and diet (though it is over 10 years old). Unfortunately, there's not too much information in the document about the carnivorous species, since it seems most captive species are the arboreal frugivores. It does say that invertebrate protein sources (crickets, cicadas, centipedes) are lower in iron than the vertebrate protein sources (ground meat, pinky mice). Depending on where you live, pinky mice and crickets can be bought readily in most pet stores.

That being said, it seems like they have very strict nutritional needs. I would talk at length with the breeder or even get in contact with zoos that keep the species and see what kind of diet they're providing. They'll be the best starting point for figuring out the details.

themacaw

Walking the driveway
yes i was loking at the southern yellow billed hornbill, thanks i will look at the document that you posted

Last edited: