• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eeek! Lookit my new baby! Sad Update Post #35

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Also, parrotlets are notorious for being cage aggressive. I personally don't have that problem with Yoshi but it did worry me some that he would develop that issue as he got older. But there are ways to try and help the situation.

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
It's really common for birds to be cage aggressive. That's their home. Are you trying to get him out of his cage with your hand? If so, let him come out on his own. You can try putting a perch on the outside of the cage near the door and hang a treat or toy that he likes to encourage him. Birds aren't like dogs or cats that like to handled and petted all the time. You kind of have to respect their space a bit. And you've only had your bird a really short period of time. It can take a bird months to really adjust to a new home. Just be patient. :)
Thank you! Oh wow thats a good idea, I like the perch idea !

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
One of my lovebirds is cage aggressive, especially around the food bowl, but once she's out of her cage she is not like that at all. I just accept her grouchiness when i'm by her cage.
Yeah my plet seems to be alittle better when hes not around his cage.
My lovebird ALWAYS wants to be out and near me its quite adorable.

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
I'll use this as sorta a journal. He was learning step up pretty well today.

Day 5 with parrotlet Yoshi and I was blind. He's actually pretty good birdie outside his cage. He won't let me pet him just yet but he's doing step-up pretty well with treats. Right now he is hanging out on my back lol and watching the chores I am doing lol He was being pretty grumpy the other day because he didn't want to be outside his cage, well I had to give him a new cage so I had to get him out lol.

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
Day 6, I tried the step up trick with the perch, he would step up and then fly off. So then 10min later I tried again but this time he flew in every which direction, he was not striking the perch but he was trying to get away with it and kept flying. Right when I was about to give up he flew out of the cage on accident. He kept trying to fly back to the cage >__> SO then I had to take him to the other side of teh bed and then petted him a bunch and he seemed to love that. He didn't really do anything with the perch after but I praised him every time he let me pet his head/back I gave him food. The cutest thing is that he really loves my fleece robe and is cuddling underneath it. He hasn't left the robe yet xDD; It's been a hour lol. He sneezes a couple times. He was on my chest and loved the warmth then he is on my shoulder now. He grinds his beak alittle. Then he also made these like excited cheeps when I would pet him and I dont know if they are let me go cheeps or just content cheeps. I will have to send a video of what I mean, he is so snuggly its cute! I'm alittle worried its cold in my room. I don't get it though he will fly away from me but the minute he's on me he stays on me and he lets me pet and scratch him?

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
@jahpan How long have you had him? You say he's only 3 months old; so he's extremely young.. if this is true you've only had him at most a month. But I think you said a few days? It's not going to change overnight. You need to give him time.
Quick question, in my video like in the middle when I start petting him, hes making these cute cheep noises, Do you know if those are happy cheeps or is he like saying dont touch me i want to go type cheep?

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
In my option those are more of he is on the alert sounds. I will hear Yoshi make those if he flies on the cabinets or something and is trying to get back to a place of comfort. Also, watching the video you will notice his tail is fanned out. His feathers are also held closely to his body which is another sign that he is uncomfortable. The way he is moving his head is also another clue.... he is moving it around and then flies shortly after. I would hold off trying to pet him and all. This is a crucial time for building trust. If he is comfortable on you he will fluff his feathers out, especially around his beak and will preen himself.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
In my option those are more of he is on the alert sounds. I will hear Yoshi make those if he flies on the cabinets or something and is trying to get back to a place of comfort. Also, watching the video you will notice his tail is fanned out. His feathers are also held closely to his body which is another sign that he is uncomfortable. The way he is moving his head is also another clue.... he is moving it around and then flies shortly after. I would hold off trying to pet him and all. This is a crucial time for building trust. If he is comfortable on you he will fluff his feathers out, especially around his beak and will preen himself.
Not sure about the fluffing feathers out but he does preen himself when hes on my shoulders/back.
Okay to the sounds thanks!

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Dilute turq males are one of my favorite parrotlets too!
This thread needs photos!:D

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Yoshi is love. :heart:

Last edited:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your birds are very cute :heart:

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
:crycry2::darkcloud::cry::dontgo:So I haven't really been on here lately because Yoshi my cute little baby died on December 26th.....I'm really really upset about it, it seems I have the worse luck ever when I get a second bird so I'm going to try to not get another bird for a while. T_T Long story short, I was away visiting family in chicago and my fiancee stayed at home, and at 5am in the morning he woke up to my plet screaming, and my cat had him in his mouth T_T My bird got out somehow and climbed out under the closet door which was closed, because its where my bird cages are there for now because before my cats would just climb on the cages and I was afraiad they'd knock them down. Well my fiancee got them out of his mouth, and didn't see any signs of puncture wounds...and he stayed with the bird for a hour, but after putting him in the cage and waking up at 10:30am he found him dead on the bottom cage. I have been SOO upset about it!! and I really didn't want to share on here that another of my birds was gone!! I had even called the 24hr ER vet about it but it had to be a sunday and nothing was open for him T_T not even the ER vet was open I was super pissed about that T_T My breeder friend said the cat might have tore the air sac, because the bird did have his stomach/neck facing up in the cats mouth, and also cat saliva could have done it. I'm really upset about this, because the bird was totally safe in the cage, ,but I think he might have been able to open to door/cage which I never knew he was able to get out of. Again I only had him for a month and a few weeks, it was really disappointing. The breeder woh I got the bird from said she wants to give me a plet or lovebird for free when they hatch but I am having second thoughts, its a nice gesture but I am not over this right now.

We were able to give him a proper burial in my fiancee's parents backyard because they live on huge acres. He is now next to my other plet I once had. Q__Q It's too sad. I am giving up on plets for a while, until I have a big enough home for one.:sad6::sorrow:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
:sadhug2:I'm so sorry for your loss. If you do decide to consider another fid, in the future, please do look into getting a cage with doors that lock, some even have safety locks. For example: A&E Flights. It can prevent such accidents from happening in the future. Rest in peace Yoshi, fly high above the rainbow. :sorrow:

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
:sadhug2:I'm so sorry for your loss. If you do decide to consider another fid, in the future, please do look into getting a cage with doors that lock, some even have safety locks. For example: A&E Flights. It can prevent such accidents from happening in the future. Rest in peace Yoshi, fly high above the rainbow. :sorrow:
Thank you ;o; and yeah this is the first time he escaped, i didnt think he knew how or anything, it just sucked that i was away T_T

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Very sorry for your loss ;u;

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry for your loss :(