• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Health problems in albinos

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
I am sure most people have seen that I have four princess parrot babies. One of these is an albino, pure white, pink eyes.

Does anybody know about possible health problems in regards to albino parrots. I know albinism has an effect on eyesight in humans, but i dont know the degree to which it affects parrots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
IDK about birds but albino rats have much worse eyesight but still get on just fine

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Budgies/cockatiels/lovebirds/other small parrots seem to be the species with the most albinism (probably because they are bred a lot more and have more color mutations). I've never seen any difference in eyesight, they get along just as any other bird.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is Albino a mutation or a defect?

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Is Albino a mutation or a defect?

I believe it's a mutation... I've seen it cause eye related issues in other species (including humans), but I haven't heard of it in birds so far.

Chihuahua

Albino is a mutation that has been bred for, like lutino. If albino is a defect then so is lutino, piebald, blue, red factor...

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's a mutation, would there still be possible eye problems? I was thinking there would only be eye problems in an albino if it was the result of a defect???

Chihuahua

all mutations are "defects" you will never see a blue Quaker in the wild, and being mutations ie abnormal changes in the genes they can sometimes be linked to other issues. this is the case in all domestic animals, ie dogs with excess white can be deaf, dogs with Gray fur often have skin issues, etc. these colors are bred for and are not considered defects per se but are still linked to genetic defects. good breeders try to preserve the color while breeding away from the defects.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There are blue mutation amazons and blue and gold macaws in the wild.... as well as opaline blue and gold macaws.

Ino birds *may* have eyesight issues, such as being sensitive to bright light and having a hard time bringing something into focus (may have difficulty landing or judging distances), however birds learn to adapt just fine in *most* cases.

truste

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
What's the difference between a mutation and a defect? My turquoise GCC can be considered 'defective' because he can't make the red feathers typical of GCCs, but nobody sells turquoise GCCs as defective GCCs :lol:Aren't they essentially the same thing, only the latter has a connotation of being undesirable, or is it only called a defect if it affects the health?

I don't know anything about bird genetics. I do know humans with albinism can be sensitive to light and can be more susceptible to sun burn or skin cancer, but I don't know if this would apply to princess parrots. Anyway, I'd love to see a picture of this albino baby!

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
What's the difference between a mutation and a defect? My turquoise GCC can be considered 'defective' because he can't make the red feathers typical of GCCs, but nobody sells turquoise GCCs as defective GCCs :lol:Aren't they essentially the same thing, only the latter has a connotation of being undesirable, or is it only called a defect if it affects the health?

I don't know anything about bird genetics. I do know humans with albinism can be sensitive to light and can be more susceptible to sun burn or skin cancer, but I don't know if this would apply to princess parrots. Anyway, I'd love to see a picture of this albino baby!

"Defect" is used to refer to mutations outside of just the color of their feathers, in my opinion.

Albinism in humans can cause serious eye issues (beyond sensitivity), often blindness. I don't think its the same with birds.

Chihuahua

A mutation is a change in the natural genes whether good or bad. The use of the word in birds and reptiles frankly makes no sense, you won't see dog breeders calling different colors mutations and "color variation" is not what mutation means. Some genetic mutations have no apparent effect either way.

truste

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
A mutation is a change in the natural genes whether good or bad. The use of the word in birds and reptiles frankly makes no sense, you won't see dog breeders calling different colors mutations and "color variation" is not what mutation means. Some genetic mutations have no apparent effect either way.

And "defect" has the connotation of being an error, or a bad change, right? I didn't know that about dog breeders. Very interesting!

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
And "defect" has the connotation of being an error, or a bad change, right? I didn't know that about dog breeders. Very interesting!

Well, the word defect literally means "doesn't function like it should". I like to link it with a bad mutation, although it can be linked with literally any mutation because genes aren't functioning like they should.

truste

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley

Well, the word defect literally means "doesn't function like it should". I like to link it with a bad mutation, although it can be linked with literally any mutation because genes aren't functioning like they should.

Yeah that's how I look at it too. Technically any color variation results from genes not functioning like they 'should' but I think we tend to only call it a 'defect' if it interferes with health, mobility, prefered appearance, etc. :)

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've heard the same thing. Health problems mostly arise if the birds are inbred to get the albino coloration. If they are not inbred, they are fairly healthy. However, pigments are often produced via the same chemical pathways as other chemicals the body uses, so there can indeed be some changes that go deeper than just coloration. And pigment cells are found in the brain, too.
In a lot of species, individuals with pied coloration (basically patches missing some pigment) tend to be calmer and tamer and it's because in these animals, pigment cells migrate later and affect brain development a little.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A question I just thought up :D

Do albino and Lutino birds see in normal bird color/vision?

Chihuahua

I've heard the same thing. Health problems mostly arise if the birds are inbred to get the albino coloration. If they are not inbred, they are fairly healthy. However, pigments are often produced via the same chemical pathways as other chemicals the body uses, so there can indeed be some changes that go deeper than just coloration. And pigment cells are found in the brain, too.
In a lot of species, individuals with pied coloration (basically patches missing some pigment) tend to be calmer and tamer and it's because in these animals, pigment cells migrate later and affect brain development a little.
Pied color in deer is linked to deformities and to deafness in dogs. Just an interesting tidbit :) But I've never heard of it being an issue in birds.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A mutation is not necessarily a defect. It depends on the environment the animal is in. Genes mutate all the time and its a natural process that sometimes causes the development of new species. Sometimes a mutation is linked to a genetic defect and those are known as lethal mutations. Not all mutations are lethal though. Most of the problems seen today with mutations are a product of selecting for color rather than the overall health of the bird. Which leads to inbreeding in order to produce a whole bunch of a certain color and from there on out crossing splits(heterozygotes) to visual mutation which basically means the family tree doesn't branch very much.
Just for the record, we are all the product of mutations. Blue eyed humans...mutation. Red hair, blond hair, different skin colors, curly hair, straight hair, tall, short, ability to digest lactose into adulthood...all mutations. None of which are necessarily lethal. If the bird was out in the wild, the environment would likely select against unusual colors. In captivity with no pressure from predation or need for camouflage, being a different color is not necessarily a disadvantage. I do wish more breeders would use some genetic common sense in producing mutations though rather than being lulled into a thinking they are doing right by crossing visual to split. After enough generations of that, a green bird with a strong family history of mutations is just as likely to carry genetic weaknesses as its mutation siblings.
As for eyesight, I've had red eyed birds in the past. They all seemed to be okay. I don't know about princess parrots though.