• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent *UPDATE POST #58* Itty bitty feetsy- I see it but the vet doesnt?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If they were US birds, wouldn't the 30 day home quarantine qualify? Sorry if that's a dumb question, i've been trying to keep up with the developments.
no problem:

If they were USA birds (returning to USA) then it is home quarantine. Birds from outside USA is 30 days at one of three facilities in USA. Then, in theory, after wuarantine, they would have to fly to mn. Thousands of dollars and low survival rate. It's ridiculous.

Private jet means they can be direct in cabin. But they need to bypass quarantine as the jet goes from Dubai to Minnesota.

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Another underhanded suggestion, but can't you somehow claim they are returning USA birds? What proof do they need?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
no problem:

If they were USA birds (returning to USA) then it is home quarantine. Birds from outside USA is 30 days at one of three facilities in USA. Then, in theory, after wuarantine, they would have to fly to mn. Thousands of dollars and low survival rate. It's ridiculous.

Private jet means they can be direct in cabin. But they need to bypass quarantine as the jet goes from Dubai to Minnesota.
It is so limiting with them expecting someone to bring their bird to one of 3 stations when someone might not even live nearby. Can't even visit your bird. :( There are some countries from which you can't bring in any birds but if a country is not on the list then why not allow for in home quarantine. Your birds have been well taken care of and I am assuming would have health clearances from your vet.

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
You are probably tired of all these questions and suggestions, but i want those birdies to come home with you!! It would break my heart if they couldn't....i can't imagine what you must be feeling like.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Are you worried that they wouldn't survive being checked and flying with you?

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I think the issue is that she can't get them past quarantine because there isn't a bird quarantine office in Minnesota, and that's the only place the private jet is going.

How about a GoFundMe account for $$ and then ask the pilot to fly you to MN? Not realistic, i know....

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I might be wrongly under the impression, but I thought she was coming later on a commercial flight... Saya and Zeca would be flying with the businessmen about a week earlier. Could be wrong though.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I cant see the acility in Minneapolis. I see CDC, but not the facility for animals?
Lots going on here, I might be blind?

Oh dear! For some reason I thought the CDC facility would be for animals and people... I'm so sorry that I'm not being more actually helpful.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I've been following this thread, i thought of an idea that probably isn't feasible- but worth mentioning anyway...
@mythic55 Can you possibly ship Saya and Zeka to someone who lives in Minnesota (using one-day shipping/overnight?), and just pick them up when you get there?

Not sure if they'd still have the same quarantine regulations if they are being shipped to someone rather than traveling with the owner.
You'd just have to set them up with a heat/cool air source in the "shipping" cage (not sure how that would work, depending on the weather)..

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I might be wrongly under the impression, but I thought she was coming later on a commercial flight... Saya and Zeca would be flying with the businessmen about a week earlier. Could be wrong though.
Yes, she would leave on a private jet with businessmen on the 11th.

I would fly commercial (tickets were already purchased for 7,000/piece non refundable) on the 13th.

They cant come in the cabin in commercial, and they cant make it through cargo- there are no 'direct' flights, you have at least one connecting. So I found someone with a private jet who is flying direct (I am not coming with). But all of that is irrelevant because:
.... they would need to go into 30 days quarantine in one of 3 locations (not MN where the jet is landing). Unless the birds were USA origin- in which case I can do home quarantine in theory.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
UPDATE ON HEALTH:

Luckily as of late last night, the giant 'sore' on the bottom of her foot has fallen off. No 'sore'- but kinda like a scab with perfectly fine skin underneath. It is more than likely a combination of things, but all of which are important then to continue- that is special needs. Someone needs to take time to give her all the medications (from brewing tea for her water, sprouting seed, to importing in herbs illegally and giving her medication through a syringe).

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I've been following this thread, i thought of an idea that probably isn't feasible- but worth mentioning anyway...
@mythic55 Can you possibly ship Saya and Zeka to someone who lives in Minnesota (using one-day shipping/overnight?), and just pick them up when you get there?

Not sure if they'd still have the same quarantine regulations if they are being shipped to someone rather than traveling with the owner.
You'd just have to set them up with a heat/cool air source in the "shipping" cage (not sure how that would work, depending on the weather)..

Oooo! Love this idea. Could they be overnight shipped to one of the Quarentine stations? Domestic flights are pennies on the dollar compared to that international ticket and you could choose any of the stations! (Los Angeles has nice weather this time of year! No worries about freezing on the Tarmac.)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Everyone cross their fingers... I might have found a way. I will have details in the next 24-48 hours.

-I got in touch with APHIS, USDA and they are checking right now as to home quarantine due to her medical issues. She needs special food, and LOTS of medications that: 'our facilities are not equipped to provide, so I am trying to devise a different method for home quarantine'

Of course, I am not sure of the cost which I would have to clear with my hubby as thus far it is $00,000.00 usd range... but a vet will have to meet them in the hanger and then will have to come and give the birds butts a swab or two during the 30 days. But there is a possibility IF they have an agent in MN (they are checking now). It is in their hands now as to whether or not it will work.

Saya is starting to panic as the home gets packed up- she is acting out banging in her enclosure and crying quite a bit. But Zeka is just flying around saying 'Oh, these boxes are fun! look mom I can pull your post- its down so you dont know what goes where!'
--

We are down to the wire as the plane leaves on the 10th- IF we can get the special circumstances home quarantine, then we ask the CFO to confirm with all passengers to have birds in the cabin (pilot and crew is OK with it...). So come the 10th- she will either be on it, or wont.

Finished their new enclosure if they go to someone elses home, or such.

Attachments

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Everyone cross their fingers... I might have found a way. I will have details in the next 24-48 hours.

-I got in touch with APHIS, USDA and they are checking right now as to home quarantine due to her medical issues. She needs special food, and LOTS of medications that: 'our facilities are not equipped to provide, so I am trying to devise a different method for home quarantine'

Of course, I am not sure of the cost which I would have to clear with my hubby as thus far it is $00,000.00 usd range... but a vet will have to meet them in the hanger and then will have to come and give the birds butts a swab or two during the 30 days. But there is a possibility IF they have an agent in MN (they are checking now). It is in their hands now as to whether or not it will work.

Saya is starting to panic as the home gets packed up- she is acting out banging in her enclosure and crying quite a bit. But Zeka is just flying around saying 'Oh, these boxes are fun! look mom I can pull your post- its down so you dont know what goes where!'
--

We are down to the wire as the plane leaves on the 10th- IF we can get the special circumstances home quarantine, then we ask the CFO to confirm with all passengers to have birds in the cabin (pilot and crew is OK with it...). So come the 10th- she will either be on it, or wont.

Finished their new enclosure if they go to someone elses home, or such.
that would be great!

Heather F

I hope you can make it work!!