• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Eclectus is Freaking Out!!

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
Hopefully the vet can give some advice. Ask him if she does lay if it's better to replace the eggs with dummies and what size to get. I would worry that if the eggs sit for too long, they will spoil. Also, watch her closely if she lays, to make sure everything goes well. I know they can get egg bound or an egg peritonitis if one bursts inside, which is very bad. When my little conure laid for the first time (at the age of 13), I freaked out! I was going on a trip the next day and was worried she still had eggs in her and something would go wrong while I was away. I had a bird sitter but I didnt want to take a chance. So, I had the vet evaluate her. I cant remember if he did an xray or not, but we determined that there were no more eggs. Someone on this forum said the egg laying stresses the owners out more than the bird, and I think they are right!

I am so glad you gave this little bird a new life with you! It sounds like she came from a rotten home, especially if they let her kill two males. Please update us on how she does and what the vet advices. She's very lucky to have you.
Thanks so much for your kind words! I keep looking for eggs. She sits in one place a lot but when she gets up, no egg. Will she even necessarily have them? I don't really have the option of moving her very large cage. She has three people and seven small 'foster dogs' passing by her cage through the day. I was wondering if covering it during parts of the day would help her at all?

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
Thank you! Can you suggest a good source of calcium for her?

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I like to use avitech calcium dissolve. You just add to water. Almonds are also good for calcium

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Broccoli has a lot of calcium in it, many birds like to eat the tops :)

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
Ok! Update! She has laid an egg! I need to go back and re-read the posts regarding what to do when she starts laying. I had actually finally scored an earlier bird-vet appointment this coming Monday. I was really afraid that she might have egg-binding. I have been feeding her almonds and other calcium rich foods. I had removed all the paper I had at the bottom of the cage a few days ago. Mostly for sanitation reasons. Should I try to introduce paper back into the cage so she can make a nest? This is all new to me. Thanks for any feedback.

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
I am assuming she lays all the eggs and then begins to sit (incubate) them? I have the cage 3/4 covered now to try to keep her calm. Only going around the cage to take care of food & water.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I would search for the user sodakat here and look for posts about her girls. She has several and has raised some babies too.

In the future the goal is going to be discouraging nesting behavior when hormones hit.

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
I would search for the user sodakat here and look for posts about her girls. She has several and has raised some babies too.

In the future the goal is going to be discouraging nesting behavior when hormones hit.
Yes, I really do not want to have to deal with the nesting behavior over & over. I will see if I can find 'sodakat' posts and see what I can find out. Thank you!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I can send you info for a yahoo group of eclectus people as well (you need a yahoo account to access it) that can give you good information a well

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
It has been several weeks since she laid her second egg. She is still sitting on them trying to incubate them. I have been afraid to clean the cage for fear that I will upset her. The cage is smelling rancid! She leaves her clutch each day for a short time and I'm wondering if I should try to clean the bottom and gently move the eggs in order to clean and then put them back in the same spot? I don't want her to start the cycle all over again. I will remove all paper and anything that she might try to make a nest out of, other then the eggs, which I will put back where they were? I appreciate any ideas!

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
No luck gaining information by way of Facebook groups or/and looking up information online. I have had no luck getting added to Eclectus groups which I have requested entry. No luck either looking up information on parrot forums other than this one. You guys have been awesome!

Last edited:

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
I went ahead a thoroughly cleaned her cage today. I was able to put her two eggs on the bottom of the cage while a scrubbed her tray out. I did not put paper or nesting material back in as I'm hoping as soon as she abandons her nest (two eggs) and I remove the eggs this cycle will not start again. She returned to her eggs as soon as I returned them to the same area of the bottom tray that her nest was in. Not sure if what I did was correct but it was the best I could ascertain from the comments on this thread. Really not a lot of information regarding Eclectus hens in non-fertile egg laying cycles. I appreciate what advice/suggestions I received during the last month here though.