• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

stone ware pans?

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
So I have been looking into these new stoneware pans but I haven't gotten any yet because I don't know if the are bird safe does anybody know about this?

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
If you mean stone pans If they aren't coated they are ok. I use a small stone pan for bird bread.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I think stoneware is just a brand

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Stoneware is a type of clay - I don't think it's suitable for stovetops.

It might be what is called "stone coated" or something similar. It's a coating, like enamel. Most of the ones I found were a nonstick "blend" and contained PFTE (Teflon).

Here's a popular one, and if you check the questions and reviews, people raise concerns about it containing Teflon, as the manufacturer only mentions it being PFOA free.

Amazon.com: 10-Inch Stone Earth Pan by Ozeri, with 100% PFOA-Free Stone-Derived Non-Stick Coating from Germany: Stir Fry Pans: Kitchen & Dining

Last edited:

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I have found a few that were PFOA and PTFE free however the link you posted is an amazon link and there is no way I will even look at a product on that site. I absolutely hate amazon.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I have never understood why people season pans even my cast irons have never been seasoned I use them the same as I would any other pan and wash it after every use.

Solayan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Seasoning helps create a non-stick surface on some kinds of cookware like cast iron. I wash my pans after every use, but if it's been a long time since I used them last they sometimes need a rub with a bit of oil before I use them again if I'm cooking something prone to sticking. If you use the pan regularly chances are it's getting seasoned every time you use it.