• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My glasses

Barn owl

Meeting neighbors
My 6 month old male Jardine, Kismet loves my glasses! The other night my fiance tryed to take him away from my shoulder when he was chewing them and he bit his finger! We have tried offering a toy instead but he ignores it and goes for my glasses instead. Any advice of what to do? I can't see without my glasses so not wearing them around Kismet isn't an option. :(

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
all my birds have gone for my glasses too. I think we are stuck with that.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have two pairs of glasses. One for when I'm around my birds, and one for when I'm not. The ones that I wear around them are all scratched around the edges. Hopefully they last another year or two!:wacky:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The other night my fiance tryed to take him away from my shoulder when he was chewing them and he bit his finger!

"You" take the glasses off before F tries to take him away from your shoulder.

He should not be "taking" him away from you. He should be "asking" your bird to come away and respect him if he signals a no. It needs to be "rewarding" (treat/bribery/praise etc.) for him to go to the F. Not just because he insists.

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
I have chunks out of my plastic frames now thanks to a certain Blue crowned conure... going to invest in metal frames soon. needed new lenses anyway (he gouged them too, but they were already messed up from who knows what)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What about rewarding him for playing with particular foot toys and make it highly desirable? Then when he's on your shoulder, keep those toys on hand? That is, get the behavior you want *before* he has a chance to due the undesirable behavior, thus you can reward the desired behavior asap?

And station training?

Barn owl

Meeting neighbors
We've tried giving him a toy instead, he just throws it to the side lol. Started target training, he's semi interested...:chin:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
No shoulder time? If he can't respect the no glasses rule and bites if removed, that would keep it from happening altogether

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Started target training, he's semi interested...:chin:
Once he figures out that it is an easy way to receive a favorite treat, he will become more interested.

Matt

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Joey tries to play with my glasses once in a while, but I guess it's not a favorite with him. I move him away and he leaves them alone.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Pie is obsessed with my specs

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
We've tried giving him a toy instead, he just throws it to the side lol.

Yes....... you mentioned providing a toy as an option between the toy and the glasses. THIS is not what I meant.

I meant *HIGHLY* rewarding playing with a toy when he doesn't *HAVE* the option of playing with your glasses. Once he understands that playing with a toy is a really really really good thing, *THEN* you can try introducing the glasses, but still rewarding playing with the toy *over* the glasses.

Heather F

I have had to replace the nose pads on my glasses at least three times in the last two years. They are so tempting and chewy!

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
I have always just tilted my head and said no! He has stopped.. my son's bird I have my hoodie up.