• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pre-mixed seeds?

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
Lately I've been trying to figure out what a good brand of pre-mixed seeds would be. I know there's a lot of different opinions regarding what pellets are best, but I haven't seen anything regarding seed mixtures.

When I got Brodie, his previous owners gave me a plastic container that had a seed mixture in it that they'd been feeding him. It was running low and they couldn't remember the name of the mix, so I scooted to PetCo and got him a bag of Brown's Classic Encore parrot food and started transitioning him over to that over the course of 10 days. However, the Classic Encore mix has a lot of sunflower seeds, and I noticed that that was pretty much all he was eating out of that mix.

This weekend, I went to PetSmart, discovered that they have a MUCH better selection of bird supplies than PetCo does (at least in my area), and saw a bag of VitaKraft's VitaSmart parrot food -- that was sunflower seed free! That clinched it for me, since I had resigned myself to picking out the majority of the sunflower seeds from the Classic Encore mix and just giving him a few for treats... :lol:

I've not heard of VitaKraft before, but the seed mixture smells wonderful (very citrus-y!) and the ingredients list looks pretty solid to me. It does have peanuts in it, but I know Brodie likes peanuts and they also don't make up the bulk of the mix.

(Note: Brodie doesn't just eat seeds -- his custom-mixed diet is about 40% seed mixture, 40% pellets, 5% dried fruit, and 15% fresh fruits/veggies... or at least, I'm trying to transition him to more fresh veggies rather than dried veggies... he's not a fan so far. But when I got him, he was on about a 90% seed diet [that had some pellets in the mixture], with fresh fruit daily, so I think we're making good progress.)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I typically feed Kaylor of Colorado Sweet Harvest and Goldenfeast to my littles. The bigger guys get Nutriberries (except for Charlie). I've used Sleek and Sassy in the past.

Many people also love Volkmans.

These are generally easiest to purchase at bird stores *OR* online.

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
I like Higgins Safflower Gold but you have to remove the peanuts

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Peanuts are a big no-no for parrots, even in small amounts. So please remove those immediately.

Not sure if it's available where you are, but I like Versele-Laga seed. Goldenfeast and Volksmans are also good brands.

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
What's the rationale behind peanuts being a big no-no for parrots? I'm not being combative, just curious! I've heard of Aspergillus being a potential problem, but when Brodie came to me I was told that his favorite treat was peanuts. Is the main concern with peanuts the risk you take with the Aspergillus? I have no problem removing the peanuts from the seed mix -- since as I said, they're only scattered here and there in the mix -- but at the same time I don't want to be a super mean parront and decrease his sunflower seeds as well as his peanuts at the same time. I guess I could switch it up and decrease peanuts until he's stopped eating them completely, keep sunflower seeds in his mix but in smaller quantities, and work on introducing new treats...?

I also have some Lafeber products that I got as a sample to see if he'd like them. He hasn't seemed to like the nutriberries yet but then again, I'm not even sure if he's tried them. He likes the popcorn parrot treat once in awhile, but seems to ignore them half the time (especially if I'm watching...). I'm trying not to overwhelm him with lots of new foods too quickly! but he does enjoy almonds now -- which he's been introduced to since we adopted him -- and yesterday I introduced him to pistachios (unsalted). (Those are not in large quantities, but they're potential replacements for peanuts, and he's seemed to enjoy them so far.)

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Not sure if it's available where you are, but I like Versele-Laga seed.
That and Beaphar (Xtra Vital Parrot) is the only brand I'm using. :) (They are both European brands)

This is Beaphar: (I really recommend this, IMO is the best seed mix ever!)

Composition: Seed composition is variable but might typically include;- red millet, nyger, green millet, white millet, canary grass, buckwheat, hemp, paddy rice, peeled oats, wild turnip, rolled oats, sorghum, safflower, wheat, linseed, sesame, lettuce. Fruit composition is variable but might typically include citrus and rosehips. Vitamins include Vits A / D3. Minerals include Calcium, Sodium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Iodine, Copper, Manganese & Zinc. Additional proteins are included as Eggfood. Honey is added for palatability & Echinacea extract, which is considered a valuable supplement by many people.

XtraVital Parrot Feed is a tasty and well balanced, seed-based premium bird food, that has been developed in co-operation with nutritionists, vets and bird experts. It is ideal for parrots, including Amazons & African Greys. Also suitable for cockatoos and big parakeet species over 100g in weight, such as Eastern Rosellas. XtraVital combines fruit, 22 varieties of seeds and egg food to create a complete food which delivers optimum nutrition. One packet will feed a typical African Grey for three weeks.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That and Beaphar (Xtra Vital Parrot) is the only brand I'm using. :) (They are both European brands)

This is Beaphar: (I really recommend this, IMO is the best seed mix ever!)

Composition: Seed composition is variable but might typically include;- red millet, nyger, green millet, white millet, canary grass, buckwheat, hemp, paddy rice, peeled oats, wild turnip, rolled oats, sorghum, safflower, wheat, linseed, sesame, lettuce. Fruit composition is variable but might typically include citrus and rosehips. Vitamins include Vits A / D3. Minerals include Calcium, Sodium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Iodine, Copper, Manganese & Zinc. Additional proteins are included as Eggfood. Honey is added for palatability & Echinacea extract, which is considered a valuable supplement by many people.

XtraVital Parrot Feed is a tasty and well balanced, seed-based premium bird food, that has been developed in co-operation with nutritionists, vets and bird experts. It is ideal for parrots, including Amazons & African Greys. Also suitable for cockatoos and big parakeet species over 100g in weight, such as Eastern Rosellas. XtraVital combines fruit, 22 varieties of seeds and egg food to create a complete food which delivers optimum nutrition. One packet will feed a typical African Grey for three weeks.

I'm obsessed with Beaphar, but we can't get it here in Canada :cry: Mind sending some over? :lol:

Chihuahua

It's the Aspergillus and the high fat and protein content.

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
@Eloy, in your opinion what's the difference between VitaKraft and Beaphar that makes Beaphar come out on top?

@Chihuahua, thanks. :) Question about protein: I thought that a medium amount of protein was a good thing for Greys? And yes, this is somewhat of a tangent off the peanut track but aah, avian nutrition is so new to me!

Thanks everyone for your replies so far!! :thanks:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
@Eloy, in your opinion what's the difference between VitaKraft and Beaphar that makes Beaphar come out on top?
They can't be compared to each other. It's like compare a Vaz Lada to a Lamborghini. :D
Look at what Beaphar contains and that is only high quality seed. And "XtraVital Parrot Feed is a tasty and well balanced, seed-based premium bird food, that has been developed in co-operation with nutritionists, vets and bird experts."

Chihuahua

I am new to birds myself so I don't know about that :) I have heard some protein is ok though

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
@Eloy -- I grinned at your comparison (although I did need to look up what a Vaz Lada was... :D). I also looked up Beaphar and it looks like I'd be paying about $25 for 1kg of it plus shipping, whereas I can get other foods much less cheaper. The nearest actual store that sells it is in Canada (Toronto). That being said, I'm curious now and someday want to try it!

@Chihuahua, ah okay, thanks! Reason I'd been wondering was because the pellets Brodie gets have about 15% minimum crude protein, and I'm not entirely clear about whether peanuts have too much protein or too little protein/too much fat to be good for birds (plus the Aspergillus issue).

I think if Brodie likes the VitaKraft okay, then I might stick with that for awhile anyway (with peanuts removed). If he dislikes it, then I'll swap (or I might try some of the brands mentioned here, mixing it... we'll see). As long as there's no one who has had really bad experiences with VitaKraft, anyway! It's also apparently vet-approved (just looked it up -- this is what I got -- Vitakraft VitaSmart Parrot & Conure Food: Conure Food from DrsFosterSmith.com).

ETA: And yes, I know I asked about brands and stuff -- mostly to get an idea what y'all feed your fids, and also some brand names that I can look up! But in the meantime, I have the almost full bag of Brown's and then the VitaKraft so I should be set for awhile. I'm guessing it doesn't matter so much as long as the mix is intended for the species/breed and doesn't have outright toxic food in it, and as long as you're supplementing it with pellets and other additions.

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
the pellets Brodie gets have about 15% minimum crude protein
That is a normal amount of protein for pellets.
I'm not afraid of protein, (I have very active and flying birds) but as source I use sprouted seed and small amounts of hard boiled eggs.
I only give seed and pellets as a supplements. (perhaps 20 % of their daily feed) I cook to my birds 4 times/day so they get a more natural diet.
And spouted seed, mung bean and lentils they get every day as much as they wanted.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
and I'm not entirely clear about whether peanuts have too much protein or too little protein/too much fat to be good for birds (plus the Aspergillus issue).
I don't use them only because of the Aspergillus. And nuts in small amounts are good, but peanuts aren't nuts..(They really have the wrong name..)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The nearest actual store that sells it is in Canada (Toronto).
I'm curious which store this is. I'm in Toronto and I want Beaphar products (mainly their Care+ pellets).

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
@JosienBB -- the distributor finder on beaphar.com says it's Berton Seeds Co., LTD (Weston Road 4260, Toronto, Ontario, M9L 1W9 Toronto).

@Eloy -- right, peanuts are legumes, not tree nuts. Oi, remembering things like this from botany classes and years spent gardening that are now long ago is a good test for my memory... :)

Someday, when I have more (time, money, energy -- fill in the blank!) I'd love to do more in terms of food than I am now. But at the same time, I feel like I'm doing fairly well as a new parront especially since I'm also a working professional with a fairly stressful job. So much I want to learn and do for Brodie, though! and I'm also tempted to add to my flock at some point in the future... but yes. Yay for learning about things like this -- more knowledge is never a bad thing. :cool:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
What's the rationale behind peanuts being a big no-no for parrots? I'm not being combative, just curious! I've heard of Aspergillus being a potential problem, but when Brodie came to me I was told that his favorite treat was peanuts. Is the main concern with peanuts the risk you take with the Aspergillus? I have no problem removing the peanuts from the seed mix -- since as I said, they're only scattered here and there in the mix -- but at the same time I don't want to be a super mean parront and decrease his sunflower seeds as well as his peanuts at the same time. I guess I could switch it up and decrease peanuts until he's stopped eating them completely, keep sunflower seeds in his mix but in smaller quantities, and work on introducing new treats...?)
Peanuts themselves aren't bad as a treat, it's just the aspergillus risk since the peanuts in the mixes are typically raw. Aspergillus is a fungus that's almost universally found in soil so essentially all raw peanuts are contaminated. Children aren't supposed to get raw peanuts or unpasturized peanut butter because of aspergillus, also (I think all peanut butter is pasturized or made from roasted peanuts now, but when I was a little, my parents got raw peanut butter until they heard that it wasn't safe for kids). Anyway, roasted unsalted peanuts sold for human consumption are fine as a treat. If you can find roasted unsalted still in the shell, they are nice for encouraging beginning foraging. But, they still are high in fat so keep them as a treat only.