• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue Crown Conure Questions

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm sure that was part of it. And i expected acting out for the first few months after she was separated from her daddy. But she was here for 2 full years and her attitude never improved.

I wonder if the species is less adaptable to changes then some others? Or maybe it's a gender and/or age related thing? She's a 7 yr old DNA female. She never acted nesty or laid an egg during her time with us. Her attitude was also all the time- so not just a spring hormones thing.

Chihuahua

gabby b was hand raised as a pet for a year where he learned many of his words. he was then sold as a female to a breeder who dna tested him when no eggs were produced with the other male in the cage. he discovered the bird was male and decided to sell him. he had lived with the breeder for six months and was semi tame. i bought him and tamed him down again and now he's, well... gabby :D my baby boy gabby.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Most of the (few) BCC owners I know do have DNA tested males. I can't actually think of any that I know who have females...Hmm I'm developing a gender preference for my future fid. :lol:

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
I have a BCC pair that I'm fostering! :D They're not DNA tested but one of them laid eggs and the other is very protective of her so I'm assuming. I think they're both sweet-natured but so far don't care to be handled. They will take treats from my hand, cautiously, and will step up to be rescued if they fly away from their cage. That's as close as they care to be. Hoping to improve on that. Hard to find a home for birds that don't want to be handled. :(

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
There's a BCC in a rescue about six hours from me. He's DNA male, but an unknown age (surely there's gotta be some sort of ballpark figure? They say the owner took good care of him.) They describe him as sweet, quiet, and reserved. I would guess he's the BCC I'm going to pick up when the time comes, but I'm wanting to wait until Gilly is a year old (another 5 months away.) I wish they were closer so I could go visit him in the mean time.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
GUYS! GUYS! The bird rescue that has the BCC is adopting all their birds out so they can buy land and move. They say now is the time if we are interested because they're trying to place them all, adopting out with cheaper fees & sending them with their cages. The only downside is they don't like out of state adoptions, but she thinks they may make an exception for the right home.

Goodbye 5 month waiting plan!

Get ready Gilly!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Years ago my friend had a BCC for about 20 years. This was back when birds sat in round cages. I now want to cry thinking of that bird. :(

But anyway, her bird was calm and fairly quiet. Through the bars I was allowed to pet him without fear of bites. He spoke a little, asked for apples and such.

Beautiful, and one of the largest conures you can get. I was enamored of her pretty blue boy.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Aw, congrats! Keep us posted! I'm trying to learn what I can about BCC's too, so will be stalking everyone's threads. I need to get this foster pair comfortable with being handled so I can work on finding them a good home... so far, we're not having too much luck.

NeuroticAlpaca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alexandra
GUYS! GUYS! The bird rescue that has the BCC is adopting all their birds out so they can buy land and move. They say now is the time if we are interested because they're trying to place them all, adopting out with cheaper fees & sending them with their cages. The only downside is they don't like out of state adoptions, but she thinks they may make an exception for the right home.

Goodbye 5 month waiting plan!

Get ready Gilly!
I think I may follow you on Tumblr, because someone I follow on there also has a GCC named Gilly that had a similar situation pop up! Wouldn't that be funny?! :rofl:

Either way I'm super excited for both you and Gilly! Let me know how it goes!

Chihuahua

Aw, congrats! Keep us posted! I'm trying to learn what I can about BCC's too, so will be stalking everyone's threads. I need to get this foster pair comfortable with being handled so I can work on finding them a good home... so far, we're not having too much luck.
took gabby b a long time

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
I think I may follow you on Tumblr, because someone I follow on there also has a GCC named Gilly that had a similar situation pop up! Wouldn't that be funny?! :rofl:

Either way I'm super excited for both you and Gilly! Let me know how it goes!
I think you do! I sent you a message like a week ago from my main account wondering if we were on the same AA thread lol!! My main is haleybethg.

Chihuahua

i need to remake my tumblr there are some people who do not like me there

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
For any interested there is a BCC near me for sale. parrot I would also be willing to go and check this bird out for someone.

Chihuahua

there are always a couple here too on eugene oregon area craigslist. 250 is a good price. blue crowns go for 600 as handfed babies. gabby was 300

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
So our BCC is home & we've renamed him Sam. The rescue got him in 2009 so he's AT LEAST 6 years old, I suspect even older. He lived with his adopted mom from 09-15, at which time when she died of cancer. He is fully flighted and we decided not to take that away from him, especially with all the stress he's already under.

While at the rescue the director was able to transfer him from her shoulder to my husbands & Sam sat there for probably an hour just hanging out. The founder mentioned she was shocked Sam took to my husband, because it had taken forever to warm up to his late adopted-mom's husband.

Well, that may have been where I made the mistake lol. Sam now loves my husband and hates me. He will occasionally step up for my husband, but is nippy with him about that. Me though? He lunges if I get any where near him and will scurry up to my husbands neck and almost hide behind his ear. I'm giving him is space, mostly because that beak HOLY! OUCH! He hasn't even gotten me really good yet! So I'm working with him from a distance, speaking nicely to him and praising him for good behavior. He flew to me twice last night only after I made my husband leave the room (we were trying to get him back in his cage) but I think he attacked the back of my head after he got on me...hard to know what went on back there lol. It wasn't severe at all IF that's what it was.

But here's a question for you @Chihuahua do BCCs hiss?? I noticed he makes this nasally sound & at first I thought it was his breathing, but #1 his rescue was really great and I'm sure they would've known if he was ill. #2 the more I observed the more I noticed he didn't do it every breath and seemed to have control over it. Then I realized he mostly does it when I'm around, so I think it's a threat, or a pre-threat. Almost sounds like he's pushing air through his nares really hard or likes he's about to make a chirp, but doesn't. I've never had a hissing bird though, so I don't really know!

Chihuahua

I'm at work and cant type a long message

They do hiss gabby doesn't very much tho

very sharp beak yep they can be nippy and nervous, he nips at me but he gets over it just very particular about touches and such

edit: i am on lunch now :)

gabby hisses when he is in a talking mood, and pins his eyes. he usually talks before or after. have not heard him do it when he is being nippy. your guy may be trying to talk. i would love to see photos of him.

Last edited:

Chihuahua

@NeuroticAlpaca by the way, you will probably think his beak is long. I have done a lot of research and studying other BCC photos and it seems they just naturally are long. As long as it about lines up with the base of the lower beak then it should be alright. I have definitely thought my guy's beak was a little too long a few times lol so just wanted to note that... they just have really unique beaks I think :)

just thought to mention that poking around on Google looking for BCC merch lol

edit: just saw a post elsewhere stating that a BCC with a thin/pointy beak needs a trim... this is NOT true of this species from my understanding. If you run across that I'd disregard it! They are just not a common species and people seem to have a poor understanding of their unique characteristics.

link from a breeder with some info: Pamperedpeeps Aviary-  Blue Crown Conure, Blue Crowns

Last edited: