• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

southern yellow billed hornbill captive diet?

themacaw

Walking the driveway
hey guys me again :), i was just wondering what food can you feed a captive southern billed hornbil and what species of scorpion they eat in the wild. thanks alot. ;-)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Were you able to find a breeder who will sell them as pets? They should be able to tell you what they, and the owners that they sold to, feed their southern yellow billed hornbills in a home situation. Also, regardless of their diet in the wild, I would not recommend feeding scorpions as they could harm your hornbill.

Matt

themacaw

Walking the driveway
hey thanks but no i havent found a breeder yet, just wondering and looking for safety when i get one, i read that some hornbills need low iron diet does it apply for them to or not, would feeding frozen scorpions be ok. thanks alot

GCChris

Walking the driveway
Well, all I can comment here, is feeding scorpions should be fine, especially if they are frozen. Remove the stinger and venom duct (aka their tail) to be safe. Scorpions are totally edible. Many years ago I had a tegu lizard, and 'rehomed' a group of emperor scorpions a friend no longer wanted to her, she had a land-lobster feast! :excited3:
I should mention though that feeding any wild-caught invertebrate (or vertebrate for that matter lol) has the potential to transmit parasites.

As for what species they eat in the wild...just look what species are found in their range. Are you asking cause you live in an area you can collect them? To be safe, avoid species with thick tails...general rule of thumb with scorpions...thick tail and stinger w/thin claws = dangerously venomous. Large pinchers/small stinger = not dangerous. Just a generalization.

Last edited:

themacaw

Walking the driveway
Ok thanks, yea I'm asking cause I live in a area that about 10 miles out is total desert and there is a abundance of scorpions under every second rock there is one, I live in namibia, and do you know anything about the iron diet thing I asked. Thanks

themacaw

Walking the driveway
Ok thanks, yea I'm asking cause I live in a area that about 10 miles out is total desert and there is a abundance of scorpions under every second rock there is one, I live in namibia, and do you know anything about the iron diet thing I asked. Thanks