• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Wish List for AA

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There are two wishes in my holiday basket and they both have to do with signatures.

First one is why must we have to store signatures in an off site prior to posting here? On most other bird forums I have been on you have the option of uploading a signature from your computer directly. I have been putting other peoples signatures in my photobucket and now it is getting to the point of having too many in storage there and if deleted the signature may no longer be used by the member. If it takes a bit of tweeking to do this I am sure other members would be much happier to not have to get a code from another off site photo storage area in order to post here.

Second one is as request that out signatures show every time we post, not just the first time we post in a thread. This is the only forum I know of that does this.

Respectfully wanting to know what Adm. an other members think about these two options.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The uploading of photos for signatures would have to do with software. In the current version of Xenforo I see no option to allow or disallow uploading directly to the signature page.

What I do not understand is if we can upload to the forum ( a thread ) why the URL on a picture in a thread can not be used. This would be a question for @itzmered :)

The signature in every post would be redundant IMO. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Signatures in every post would serve to remind us of the beauty of our birds, not redundancy. At least that is my opinion. They serve as an identification of the person who is doing the posting.

Can we make changes to the software with the manufacturer so that we can directly upload signatures from our computer like we do with photos in our postings?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I think they will come up with an update down the road for those things you want :)

As far as adding things that are not part of our AA software, I think I would have to sell a kidney to hire someone to custom program things like that.
:jawdrop1: I only have 2 kidneys, so we can only pick one thing. Unless of course someone else wants to sell their kidney for a second thing? :hehe:

We are in the testing phase of upgrading our forum now, there are some new nifty things in that :dance55:

Thanks for doing all those signatures Dianne, I always admire them. I hope those things come available in the next version of the software, for you to use!!!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Uploading directly would be nice!

As for seeing the sig in each thread, I'm not sure that's needed. I know on slower computers all these pictures slow things down, and make each thread huge.

I'm fine with one signature post a page.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If we had to choose I would also vote for direct upload of signatures. If the software company heard that we may consider not using them because this feature is not offered in their product I don't think any kidneys would be on the market.
Thanks for the replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You are not paying for the storage and bandwidth Dianne. If you were you wouldn't be making this post. Your photo bucket problem is the same problem they would have here only on a much bigger scale.

Use google photos. Unlimited storage. Don't put them in your account. Start a new account just for signatures.
Flickr also has "almost" unlimited storage (1 terabyte?)

The more crap on a page, the slower it loads and for some people that is a big concern (slow connections),

Last edited:

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
Flickr does not have anywhere close to 1 terabyte unless you pay. I had a bunch of pics of my dogs on there and they all got deleted when I was uploading photos of my gem collection for help identifying them.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My vote is to keep the signatures only to the 1st post.

In my mind, the only function of the signatures is for when someone says somethin like "my bird Tiki does..." and then you can look and see what kind of bird Tiki is, which could be helpful in answering their question.

Other then that, the signatures just take up tons of space and make the thread too long and take forever to load. Seeing them only once is sufficient IMO.

As far as the sig storage- I'm confused as to why you have to store them? When Becky made me a signature I saved the file to my own personal computer as a JPEG, then uploaded it to my own personal flikr account, then put it on AA from my flikr. Yes, it would have been way easier and more convenient to be able to put it on AA directly from my computer and cut out the intermediary of flikr. But, regardless, Becky doesn't have to save that image for me. I have it on my own personal computer, which was really easy to do

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My most wanted thing on AA is to be able to post pics from my phone directly on to the boards.

As is, I have to transfer the pic from my phone to my computer and then upload it on to AA. It's kind of a pain.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My most wanted thing on AA is to be able to post pics from my phone directly on to the boards.

As is, I have to transfer the pic from my phone to my computer and then upload it on to AA. It's kind of a pain.

What's the problem there? I post pictures from my phone all the time.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How?! I have no idea how to do that!! The instructions in "how to junction" don't tell how to upload phone pics or videos. It's only from a computer or flikr

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have several storage places for photos and it just happens I like Photobucket best and I am not paying for any storage anywhere. I even have Amazon as a prime member in the cloud. Paying for storage of photos is not why I created this post. Its just all around much easier to do it directly, especially for newcomers.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How?! I have no idea how to do that!! The instructions in "how to junction" don't tell how to upload phone pics or videos. It's only from a computer or flikr

From your phone choose the upload a file button at the bottom of the post.
Screenshot_2015-11-16-11-38-41.png Screenshot_2015-11-16-11-39-09.png Screenshot_2015-11-16-11-39-20.png

My photos are under documents.

Chihuahua

that's odd, i have no trouble uploading pics from my phone

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Flickr does not have anywhere close to 1 terabyte unless you pay. I had a bunch of pics of my dogs on there and they all got deleted when I was uploading photos of my gem collection for help identifying them.
When was the last time you tried it? It does now. Even has a desktop uploader that will backup every photo you have in the background as a backup.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My vote is to keep the signatures only to the 1st post.

As far as the sig storage- I'm confused as to why you have to store them? When Becky made me a signature I saved the file to my own personal computer as a JPEG, then uploaded it to my own personal flikr account, then put it on AA from my flikr. Yes, it would have been way easier and more convenient to be able to put it on AA directly from my computer and cut out the intermediary of flikr. But, regardless, Becky doesn't have to save that image for me. I have it on my own personal computer, which was really easy to do

lol

But I do, and have every single signature ever made (minus one or two accidently lost). I have a separate USB drive that I keep them on. Because they're all in PS file, they're huge. ;)

You never know when someone will loose theirs and wish they had that photo of a bird that is passed.

I'm also a pack rat with any photos. :p

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

You can!!!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
One signature per thread is a decision we made to help with pages loading faster. Some people have very large signatures and this causes slower load time along with less posts visible per page

One suggestion when making signatures for someone else is to provide them with the file and they can store it on their own offsite host to use in their signature. You are being awfully generous by not only making the signatures but also storing them for people

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Uploading a pic from your phone is the same process as from a computer.