• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

kakiriki (is it a boy or girl attached pictures)

shaz89

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
sharon
Got a handraised kakiriki today he/she is seven weeks old wondering can anyone tell if male or female from pictures thanks
Also he crys out if i put him in cage or down at all wants too be on shoulder or held all the time. If i put him in cage hell whine/cry until I lift him (doesn't take long too cute his own good). If this normal behavior for kakariki or should i be concerned hes eating drinking ok and playful but just cant bear for me too be out his sight.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I don't know the sex but I do know is that is a very cute kak. Congrats on your new bird friend. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I don't know anything about this type of bird- but he/ she is adorable!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Males are generally bigger than hens. That's about all I can tell you!

As far as crying, it's possible he, or she, needs some comfort foods. You can try feeding some warmed/cooked oatmeal, mashed sweet potatoes (even adding in some steamed carrots and/or bananas) and feeding warm. Do make sure he continues to eat and I would highly suggest getting a gram scale (easy $20-$35 from stores like Walmart or Target).

She cries because she's a baby and has just been separated from the only home and family she's known. That's normal. She needs comfort.

SingingBird

Checking out the neighborhood
My understanding is that the beak is wider on a male, and they are larger in general. Some folks also notice that the red from their forehead extends all the way around their eyes if they are male. It might take some growing up for you to be able to tell. I have an 8 month old female. I sexed her by comparing to other Kaks....her beak is more narrow, less red around her actual eyes and she is smaller body type. I will try to attach a pic. (She just took a bath before this picture, but I think you can see the beak width and red on sides of her face....by the way, they LOVE baths. She practically goes completely under water. They also prefer cold water, so nice warm room without drafts, and a cold water bath. Kaks have a tremendous down coat and can overheat more easily that most other birds). kak.jpg

The above mentioned comments on food are terrific! Also, they tend to LOVE corn and peas.

My girl was huddled in the bottom corner of a cage at a store for 5 months. They never once saw her on a perch. She was so depressed and overwhelmed. I took her home with no knowledge of Kaks and had to do a major crash course. She has been with me for 2 months, and every day does something new and silly. Although she was handfed, she did not seem to retain any desire for human contact, but looks forward to our routine and loves to talk to me. She also LOVES her early morning arias with my canary. They clipped her wings, but I am letting them grow out. She does love to come out and fly as much as she can. She also loves enjoying any new foraging toy I put in her cage.

Keep us posted as to how he/she is doing! There is so little info on these little guys, and I'm excited to be part of a forum where we can learn from one another. Cheers!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I recall seeing a picture of a normal wild type red fronted kak taking a bath in the middle of winter. The bird was in an outside aviary(?) and it had snowed, and the bird was taking a bath in the water on the ground! :D

I guess, considering where they come from, it's no surprise they are accustomed to cold water!

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
oh my, what a cute bird! I am newer to the world of birds and this is the first of that type for me. very cute!