• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Terrified of mold

Barn owl

Meeting neighbors
Hello all, I have a 5 month old Jardine (Kismet) and I'm looking for how to protect him ! I keep a clean bird room and vacuum daily. He lives with 2 cockatiels, a 6 year old hen( Sedgwick) and a 21 year old male (Buster). All of them are healthy and eating a diet of Laferbers pellet berries and veggies. Ocassionally he'll sneeze but no nasal discharge. There's so many stories about people losing their babies, who were good owners. Im just so worried! ( it literally keeps me awake at night sometimes).

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Two of the most common ways that birds can pick up mold is by playing with, or eating off of, soil, and from eating peanuts. Peanuts are not really nuts, they are legumes that grow in the ground. This allows mold to grow on them, which can be transferred to your bird when he eats them.

Matt

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Mold is scary, treat a bird for asper and learn about reinfection rate and you start to look at everything in a new light. Asper is everywhere all the time. The dirt outside your window, hiding in sink drains and dark corners of your basement. It can even come from heat systems and air conditioning units. The most important part of this, for humans and birds, is to stay healthy. Our immune system does a very good job of not allowing asper to take hold in our systems. Immune suppressed or taking steroids can off set this and thats when most infections happen.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Molds and fungus are easily handled by a healthy immune system, so keeping your birds healthy is the most important thing you can do. Othewise keeping them away from damp warm soils (planters), peanuts and places where molds/fungus may grow is the most important.

F10 Biocare ( Bird Safe Cage Cleaner - F10 Disinfectant for Reptiles - FREE Shipping ), a disinfectant, is your best defense for molds, spores, fungus and bacteria.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Oh! How i understand your worries! I think we've all stayed awake one or more times then we like to admit! Its a little bit like having children.. You know you do it right, yet you still question yourself! Its a good thing to worry every once in a while, it reafirms that you care for your birds! Just dont make a habbit out of it :)

Like said above, keep everything clean and healthy!
There are some things we simply dont have control over, all we can do is our best :)

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I had our place tested by a certified mold inspector before we moved in after noticing a weird smell. It was very pricey but worth it for peace of mind. He did say he's never tested a place that had zero mold. Ours had some, but well within safe levels. I bought 4 Austin air purifiers to be on the safe side. The amount outside was way worse which really freaked me out. Mold is scary.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mold is scary, treat a bird for asper and learn about reinfection rate and you start to look at everything in a new light. Asper is everywhere all the time. The dirt outside your window, hiding in sink drains and dark corners of your basement. It can even come from heat systems and air conditioning units. The most important part of this, for humans and birds, is to stay healthy. Our immune system does a very good job of not allowing asper to take hold in our systems. Immune suppressed or taking steroids can off set this and thats when most infections happen.
Molds and fungus are easily handled by a healthy immune system, so keeping your birds healthy is the most important thing you can do. Othewise keeping them away from damp warm soils (planters), peanuts and places where molds/fungus may grow is the most important.

F10 Biocare ( Bird Safe Cage Cleaner - F10 Disinfectant for Reptiles - FREE Shipping ), a disinfectant, is your best defense for molds, spores, fungus and bacteria.
Well said! Having dealt with Asper, more than once, I agree that a healthy immune system is what is needed most to keep Asper away.

EDITED TO ADD: I use an excellent air purifier; The Austin HealthMate, which gives me a little peace of mind.

HealthMate | Austin Air Purifiers

Last edited:

GCChris

Walking the driveway
Since we're talking about mold I have heard walnuts can have mold too, should I avoid feeding them in the shell? Or are they usually ok?

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since we're talking about mold I have heard walnuts can have mold too, should I avoid feeding them in the shell? Or are they usually ok?
All tree nuts can have mold. Buy fresh (in the fall) keep them refrigerated and keep a watchful eye and you should be fine.

I buy directly from an organic grower who keeps the nuts refrigerated.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What other air cleaners kill mold spores?
Air cleaners don't kill mold spores - in fact there is very little that will kill spores - air cleaners only trap X% of the spores in the filter.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What other air cleaners kill mold spores?
Good reading;
Do Air Purifiers Eliminate Mold? | AchooAllergy.com

...at the end of the article, I thought this was interesting;

So, do air purifiers eliminate mold? Mold spores, yes. Active mold growth, no. And as a final caveat. Mold needs a cellulose base to feed. This means that cheaper quality air purifiers, could actually become a breeding ground for mold, particularly if the humidity levels are high enough for active growth. Why? Because inexpensive air purifier filters are often made of paper - cellulose. When choosing an air purifier, don't skimp on quality. You want a sealed system and a certified HEPA filter made from warm rolled glass fibers (fiberglass) or a synthetic material.