• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage mate

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
Hey guys and girls, if I was to get my lorie a cage mate, what would be the best species? Or does it depend on the birds personality as well?

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Depends on the bird, sex, age, species and individuality unfortunately.
You would be best getting similar so another rainbow. However scalies can be good companions, but they do tend to get a bit of "small lorikeet syndrome" at least mine do.
The scalies gang up on Red and beat him up lol even though Red could easily kill one of them. I digress though.

How old is yours at the moment?

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
Depends on the bird, sex, age, species and individuality unfortunately.
You would be best getting similar so another rainbow. However scalies can be good companions, but they do tend to get a bit of "small lorikeet syndrome" at least mine do.
The scalies gang up on Red and beat him up lol even though Red could easily kill one of them. I digress though.

How old is yours at the moment?
Four years old, sex is unknown but I just call him male for now

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The problem with not knowing the sex is ending up with a bonded pair who mate ending up with babies on your hands. That's of course if you want to have them in a cage together.

At four years old your lorikeet is well established and it will be a lottery as to whether they will accept each other or your incumbent decides the other is an intruder and gets territorial which at worse can end up in one of them fatally wounded.

If you plan on housing them separately then you can look outside of the lorikeets and at lories or even other species.

What are your thoughts or intentions on housing? :)

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
The problem with not knowing the sex is ending up with a bonded pair who mate ending up with babies on your hands. That's of course if you want to have them in a cage together.

At four years old your lorikeet is well established and it will be a lottery as to whether they will accept each other or your incumbent decides the other is an intruder and gets territorial which at worse can end up in one of them fatally wounded.

If you plan on housing them separately then you can look outside of the lorikeets and at lories or even other species.

What are your thoughts or intentions on housing? :)
Awesome, cheers for the help. I was mainly thinking ahead in life if I cant really be there to hold him every day. In terms of if he cant get enough human attention to get bird attention. I was thinking same cage. Can birds still be friendly together if they dont live in the same cage?

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes definitely just to have other bird company in terms of sight and vocal can be fine.

Just be aware that even previously bonded pairs can turn deadly. My two, Red and Blue are now in separate cages because Red will kill her. However they still are frantic if they can't see each other even now. Parrot relationships are complicated. :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Going by your other thread about how bonded he is to you. The odds are very low that will accept or even recognize another bird as an equal/friend.

Reactions: JAM

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
Going by your other thread about how bonded he is to you. The odds are very low that will accept or even recognize another bird as an equal/friend.
Im just thinking ahead for if for some reason I cant have Lupe, whether it be where im living or some other situation. Cause my parents wouldnt hold him for two hours a day he'd need a friend, whether in the same cage or cages next to each other.

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
My parents are pretty against me getting Lupe a cage mate. I'd been thinking though, he does have our cattle dog Indie in the backyard and also plenty of many different types of parrots and native birds which are always in our backyard - would that be enough company if he was to not get held as much?