• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdies with one leg- Sad Update Post #17

Tiyah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiyah
My little guy Peanut(13 days old) is scheduled for a leg amputation on November 4th at 11 am:cry:. We originally thought it was a splayed leg and started the splinting process yesterday, but after seeing his leg turn black and blue from bruising I felt another vet trip was in store. Upon further investigation and after some x-rays were taken, Peanut has a broken leg. We discussed the option of splinting and trying to fix the leg, but I was told it would likely not work. So, amputation seemed to be the best option.
I'm curious as to what quality of life Peanut will have after the amputation, and what special accommodations I will need to make for him. Since he's so young will it even have an effect on him?
I'd love to hear experiences with one legged friends and learn from them!
20151018_141750.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Never had a one legged bird before.... when I had my bourke parakeet, I did want my a-vet to remove her left foot, because she had cancer on that foot. At the time, we didn't know it was cancer though (even with testing), so my a-vet removed as much as she could of it, without removing the foot, and of course, it grew back... what my a-vet had removed was retested, and that's when we found out it was cancerous.

Saying that, I have met a "one legged" cockatiel and he was an absolute sweety! He and two other cockatiels were dropped off at someones house with no information about them. If I remember right, the tiels were simply left at the person's doorstep. When the tiels were brought to the bird club, the one with only one foot kind of got ignored because of his "deformity", where-as the others people paid attention to them. However, the next time he was brought in, and he was alone, it turns out he was an absolute sweet heart! Even much nicer than the other two! I was quite tempted to bring him home! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry to hear this. I hope the little baby will be okay. I think a lot of birds adapt to their handicaps and lead a good life.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I know an amazon that lost a leg to a raccoon and he did really well. Had no issues getting around at all. Definitely make sure to have different diameter perches and some platforms for perching. Bumblefoot/pressure sores would be the only real concern I can think of and if the perches are varied, you should be fine.

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
birds perch on one leg willingly all the time so since he is growing up with it i bet he will do just fine :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My sparrow has both of his legs but neither of them are functional. He does have the use of one foot and can grip on things and pull himself up a bit but he can not perch. His legs were probably broken when he fell out of the nest and there was probably also some nerve damage. He has adapted and gets around OK. Your bird is very young and will adapt to having one leg early on and will know nothing different.
Sending positive thoughts for Peanut.

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
Praying that Peanut will do well with the surgery. It seems that animals learn quickly to compensate for any type disability. I look forward to hearing that Peanut is alright.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He won't even know he was suppose to have two legs. Nobody else will know either unless they look.

Because he'll only have one leg you'll have to make some provisions for sleeping/resting where he can take the weight off that leg for awhile. Things like a hammock.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I imagine he will never know the difference; however, I would ask the vet if you splinted the leg would it be helpful for him to balance? Would it have some function? Or would it just be in the way?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@waterfaller1 has a beautiful one footed Hawk Headed Parrot. Perhaps she'll log in soon and see this thread and maybe able to offer you some insight for what she's done to make Yuna's life easier.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My sparrow has a tupperware bowl lined with paper towels that he can rest and sleep in if he chooses to do so.

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hope the amputation went well. A couple months ago we went into our local bird store. There was a baby blue parrotlet alone in a cage. Her story was she got her leg stuck in a cage needed it removed and the guy didn't want her anymore. Well my daughter fell in love with her, and the next day we brought her home. She still had stitches and looked fragile so we kept her in a smaller more padded cage. Now she is in a regular cage and does fine. I just modified it...a lot of rope perches, vet wrapped wood perches, platform perches, and places she can lay and rest. I put her food and water on the bottom of the cage. The only restrictions that I've seen is she can't hold and eat her food, and she is molting and has a lot of feather casings on her head. So I've been scratching her head for her. Your baby will do just fine.

Attachments

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Hope the amputation went well. A couple months ago we went into our local bird store. There was a baby blue parrotlet alone in a cage. Her story was she got her leg stuck in a cage needed it removed and the guy didn't want her anymore. Well my daughter fell in love with her, and the next day we brought her home. She still had stitches and looked fragile so we kept her in a smaller more padded cage. Now she is in a regular cage and does fine. I just modified it...a lot of rope perches, vet wrapped wood perches, platform perches, and places she can lay and rest. I put her food and water on the bottom of the cage. The only restrictions that I've seen is she can't hold and eat her food, and she is molting and has a lot of feather casings on her head. So I've been scratching her head for her. Your baby will do just fine.
I just wanted to point out how adorable this little baby is. What a strong and beautiful little lady parrotlet! <3

Tiyah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiyah
I hate to update this story, because for the longest time everything seemed like it was going to be just fine for my little baby. Unfortunately he passed away early in the morning on November 4th due to crop complications. He fought long and hard, but his little body just couldn't handle anymore.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just read your update and so sorry about the loss of Peanut.