• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Bird acting poorly after beak and nail trim *Sad Update*

Reeny

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Can we get a picture of this beak trim? If the beak was not bleeding afterward I would not find that to be the cause of your high CPK. Rough handling and bruising during toweling would elevate your CPK. Severe rough handling in the towel. I had a bird with a CPK over 5500, my vet stated that level in trauma would be the equivalent of being hit by a bus.
My vet says they cauterize(sp) the beak. Lili beak wasn't that long but in the last few days it was getting sharp. I don't think it's the beak although it could be sore. He thinks it was from the rough toweling. I don't know why they would have needed to be so rough she is sweet as sugar.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All birds are different, she may have just been so stressed about from her ordeal. If she doesn't feel better in a day or so, follow your instincts,,, hope she's OK!:hug8:

Reeny

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Right now she is acting pretty normal. Earlier this evening she was just all tucked up not wanting to play. Right now she is being entertained by this foot toy. She is reaching and playing with one of the toys on this stand. It's the first time she has played with her toys since Monday night. Maybe she is starting to feel better.

Attachments

Reeny

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
All birds are different, she may have just been so stressed about from her ordeal. If she doesn't feel better in a day or so, follow your instincts,,, hope she's OK!:hug8:
Thanks me too!

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I am sorry if you thought I was putting any blame on you what I was trying to do was help make sure any new members had ideas what to look for when requesting nail and beak trim

my first trip to get Mangoes done was a waist of money and time cause all the vet did was file his nails and a week later they needed to be done again also to make sure no infections happen and as you know no baby bird needs beak trim the person that sis your bird should have knowen better , once they remove your bird from your site you lose controle that's why I make sure Mango is done at home sorry you were finger pointed cause that wasn't very nice that's not what AA is all about , We are and should be here to help not scold
one day some members will find out the hard way things happen you have no control over , life isn't perfecket

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Poor Lili! Sometimes the sweetest birds have the roughest time with confinement and procedures. I think the biters and fighters get the adrenaline going... Which is how the body deals with stress when flight isn't an option. The calm babies may not express the fear externally and end up with more internal distress to work through in the end. (This is very not scientific... Mostly my own observations.)

I'm sorry you went through this experience. It's hard to believe that someone would do such a delicate and invasive procedure without even asking you about it! I'd be quite angry if that happened to Rhubarb... To the point of a strong letter to the manager!
:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
They might not even have been rough, every bird reacts different to stress. Just being restrained can be traumatic for them.

I hope there was no pain nor roughness, and it's just the restraint that's causing you problems. It sounds like your baby is starting to feel better, and that's good to hear.

I've seen vets that have had me on the warpath over beak/nail jobs, and I've seen long time bird stores that are wonderful when doing trims.

At least you're now aware that this shop isn't good for your little one.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I really am not asking to be reprimanded. I have gone to this bird store for twenty years plus maybe longer I moved here in 1984. they do have a very good reputation. No I didn't see them do the beak trim. Do you really think I would have had them do it if I knew there was an issue?? Do you not think that I am feeling awful. I was shocked to hear my vet has seen issues.
In all the years I have never taken my birds there for their nail trim. I have a little yellow wing canary parrot from them also. I always had my vet do them. I have a Vet that does house calls. I just thought since I bought the bird there I should take her back. The trim is included for life.
What I am looking for here is not to make me resent my decision but advise from all of you that have experienced this with their bird. Did they recover? How long did it take? Should I start antibiotics?
Just some advise not to be reprimanded!

You'll have to re-read my post. I never reprimanded anybody. I pleaded with you to use your vet for proper care of your bird. Nothing more.

Reeny

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
[QUOTE

I'm sorry you went through this experience. It's hard to believe that someone would do such a delicate and invasive procedure without even asking you about it! I'd be quite angry if that happened to Rhubarb... To the point of a strong letter to the manager!
:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

[/QUOTE]
Thanks
I did call the store yesterday and spoke to one of the employees that I am close to. She said she would tell them what happened. I haven't heard back from anyone yet.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm happy she's feeling better :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The first time I took Sunny to get his nails trimmed (I had to fight with them NOT to trim his beak- which should have been my cue to just leave) by a vet who claimed to have bird experience, they handled Sunny way too roughly. They actually scraped his little leg and Sunny was so traumatized that he wouldn't come out of his cage for 4 days. I think I cried every one of those days because I felt so horrible putting him through it. Needless to say, we've never gone back to that vet. Hopefully all will be well with your bird soon.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Kiwi used to get so stressed from the man at the bird store clipping him/doing his nails we had to learn how to do it ourselves because he trusts us. The man was very experienced and gentle, Kiwi just didn't know him so he fought with him as if his life depended on it. Some birds, as sweet as they may be, do not like being manhandled by strangers and fight hard to get away as it is very traumatizing to them. This can lead to injuries (anywhere from minor muscle aches to internal trauma). No one is really at fault for it, though I do question the thought processes of the store agreeing to trimming a birds beak if the beak is healthy. So you know in the future, birds beaks grow continuously and sharp tips, when they form, generally chip off naturally from chewing toys, cracking nuts, climbing and other normal bird activities.

I'd say if the AV has looked her over, and she is feeling better, she is probably fine. Was probably pretty sore after her experience and was resting. I find extra super special treats often perk up a "down" bird;) (you know, some peanut butter, a tiny piece of cheese, a piece of cereal or other super special treat they don't normally get).

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm sorry Renny that you are going through this. :( I would not be very pleased with anyone if they did services that I didn't agree to that may cause issues down the road. Actually occurred with my car. I had taken my car to one mechanic to get looked at, and while there, they discovered a screw in the tire. I asked them not to mess with it, as the tires were under warranty from another location. Well, they went ahead and 'fixed' it anyway, and the way they fixed it meant that it could not be properly repaired by the place it was under warranty from. Needless to say, I had to get a new tire.... but the mechanics it was under warranty from were kind enough to not charge me a lot!

At least it sounds like Lili is feeling better! :) That's what matters the most!

I do have to trim Charlie, my mitred conures beak, and he sits in my lap as I hold his head. No toweling required. He doesn't like it, but puts up with it, to a lesser or greater extent.... Afterwards, he's usually a little nicer and he beak grinds to try and get his beak back into "shape". (when I trim his beak, I have to remove the ridges in the upper mandible to get it back into shape.... and he has to put the ridges back so he can grind up his food...) I've been having to trim his beak for 9 years now, and he's 21 years old. Never had any issues after the trim.

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
awwwwwww shes so cute! I dont know much about capes but she looks like a sweet heart :heart:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Just wanted to throw it out there that the cone shaped dremel tip they use for nails and beaks can be bought at home depot. I have my own for each of mine so contamination isn't a worry. They are just a few dollars.

Glad to hear your baby is feeling better. Mine are always quiet after any kind of vet visit for a day. between the traveling and having to be held, I think it just tires them out. Sounds like she probably was sore and needing to recover.

Reeny

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I thought she look better this morning but she really isn't acting so normal. She did eat from her PVC perch that I have in the kitchen. Had everyone out this morning and put the big jar of pellets and seeds etc it's a smorgasbord. Anyhow I am so worried and I have to leave on Tuesday for the rest of the week on a business meeting.

Reeny

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
She is not doing well taking her back to the vet keep us in your thoughts please!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I hope your little one is feeling better. It is so hard when something happens to our little ones. I actually had the opposite experience. I get Bella's nails and sometimes wings done at the place I board her at. They are a small store and love their animals. When I took Bella to the vet, she asked "where did you get her nails done? They look great". I am lucky. I am considered family there and they let me be in the room when they clip. When I had the vet do it, I was in the exam room and all I could hear was Bella screaming. I don't know who was more traumatized but at least she was not hurt. I am so sorry that you and your beautiful bird has had this experience and I hope she is back to normal soon. :hug8::hug8: