• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to Save on Toys...

Debby S

Meeting neighbors
I make all my own toys and hanging play areas and playgrounds. That way when they get chewed up I can easily replace them. I made home made atoms and orbits using dog rings and hoops I bought at the dollar store, and then used Zap Strap fasteners to put them together. I add lots of wood slabs on them for them to chew and replace them when they are chewed up. You can buy big lots of wood slabs for chewing or create your own if you have any bird safe wood in your yard. I have lilac trees so have used them to make perches and playgrounds and slice bits that look like coins and then drill them for chewing too. It is important for parrots to chew to keeep thier beaks from overgrowing and they so love to chew. I mix acrylic and hard plastic pieces in my toys for more color and interest. I also have a couple stainless steel skewers for fast and easy toy making.

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I also use SS Skewers and fill with wood and assorted shreddables. I also have several of the plastic foraging toys that I rotate to keep things interesting.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Buy toy parts and make some of your own :) California bird nerds has a great selection. They don't have to be super exciting but I generally buy a lot of what I know they like and then try to replicate their favorite toys (in a simpler manner if needed)
Thank you Shawna

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Debby S Very nice job on the play areas & toys!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
My birds, the macaw and Cyd the grey get skewers of wood, nothing fancy.
I switch them back and forth.
The timneh just gets baskets and vine things, he loves them.
Know what else is good, are those big bagel tubes, they can chew on those for a long time.

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
In addition to skewers, you could also try treat cages and wheels. They keep my vasa parrot occupied for hours and are very cheap. I like to throw some peanuts or bird treats in with hard chunks of wood to slow Obi down and get him to work on some harder wood.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
If you find the Stainless Steel Skewers on the pricey side you can also try refillable chain bases.

Debby S

Meeting neighbors
Zip ties are awesome. You can use them to make foot toys or cage toys or attach rings to make orbiters or atoms. They are very cheap and bird safe.