• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Here's Coco

GCChris

Walking the driveway
So I posted in the rehoming section about Coco, a Meyer's parrot who was being kept at a local bird store for rehoming. He is an adult male, no idea how old he is. He has a steel band with no date, just a number that she (store owner) can't trace. Coco was brought into the store to be sold with a untamed female Meyer's parrot, the owner had attempted to breed them but it wasn't working. Store owner agreed to take Coco but not the 'wild' female . They were not getting along. This is because Coco is obviously a hand-raised bird who was once much loved. While he bit me hard the first few times I met him at the store, I knew he was something special. He did not like the female store owner at all, and bit her hard whenever she attempted to change food, water, or clean the cage. He also would not come out of the cage for her, but did for me, anyway point is he is home with us now :). I just brought him home yesterday. Yesterday he was very chatty, he talks a lot...I'll get to that soon and very happy to be having attention. He hasn't bitten, although he does grab down hard when stepping up. I think he may be overweight? He moves very slowly and just feels heavy, and kinda plops his butt down on your hand and sits there. He was eating a typical "parrot seed mix" :(. While at the store he was introduced to Roudybush pellets and was eating them. I have offered him various things and so far he has nibbled carrots, blueberries, apple, pine nuts, and some chop but has not eaten very much yet. Today he was quiet and skittish. Perhaps he realized he is here to stay and really started to take things in. He was flighted before arriving at the bird store, she clipped him for safety since he attacked women. He has the typical poicephalus "random I'm scared moment" (I had a Senegal when I was a teenager so familiar with that) and shows remarkable control of his direction even with his (mild) clip when he has a fright-flight. He came with a stainless steel cage which is nice but not really big enough. I will get him a new one soon. Coco likes scrtches and has floored me with what he has said so far, well, for a Meyers's which aren't supposedly known for talking right?
He has said various things I can't understand yet, but what I can understand is;
"Hi Cocooooo"
"Whaddyou think your doing"
"Tickle tickle"
"More" (while being scratched)
and something that honestly sounds like "do you smell?" but I'm not sure lol
He also laughs, and makes a sounds like a car alarmn, and one like a smoke detector. Coco must have been raised by someone who wanted a pet, too bad he ended up with someone who tried to breed him. But he is here now and I love him already! Ok pics ! Please tell me if you think he looks in good condition or not. I slapped together a playstand for him. That and his cage will be improved soon! Sorry for the long post!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I love long posts!
If you care dor your new friend, its naturally you have lots to tell!

Nice pictures, im only new to the poi group, but coco looks in a good condition to me? Maybe have him step up a scale so he can be weighted?

Anyways, looking forward to more long posts, and pics ofcourse!! ;-)

Good luck!
May your friendship be long and happy!

Jamy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jamy
Wow he looks a little on the round side. LOL I'm no expert! He is very beautiful and seems very happy with you. Congratulations with your new birdy!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new friend! :)

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:)Bless your heart for taking Coco into your loving care! he's a cutie pie...congrats!;)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He's a looker for sure, Thank you for helping him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Love Meyers. Don't you just wish he could tell us his story. He looks a bit overweight or maybe it's just the photo angle. Is that his permanent cage?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on getting Coco.

GCChris

Walking the driveway
No, I'm going to look at one 2'x2'x5' this weekend, then will use this steel one as a play gym, can put toys and perches on the outside. Thank you everyone! Are Meyer's naturally slow-moving? Cause Coco moves in slow motion, compared to Pete the conure at least. I don't think he has had much exercise in the past few...years perhaps. However, he can fly even with his partial clip, just can't get lift, but can steer himself well. He startles easily but who can blame him. He lunged at me a couple times today, but its just a bluff. Hasn't bit me yet like he did at the store :). When he settles and is used to me I will get him to the vet for a check-up, but I don't really want to put him through that just yet. I will try to weigh him. I'm concerned he may be either overweight, or really old? Doubt its age, but he's just so pokey and sits his bum down on my hand rather than standing. His poop looks fine, he drinks and eats and nice feathers. But I know I have to get him checked out. Coco said "Hello" this morning and definitely says "more" while being scratched, he is so cute :heart:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
No, I'm going to look at one 2'x2'x5' this weekend, then will use this steel one as a play gym, can put toys and perches on the outside. Thank you everyone! Are Meyer's naturally slow-moving? Cause Coco moves in slow motion, compared to Pete the conure at least. I don't think he has had much exercise in the past few...years perhaps. However, he can fly even with his partial clip, just can't get lift, but can steer himself well. He startles easily but who can blame him. He lunged at me a couple times today, but its just a bluff. Hasn't bit me yet like he did at the store :). When he settles and is used to me I will get him to the vet for a check-up, but I don't really want to put him through that just yet. I will try to weigh him. I'm concerned he may be either overweight, or really old? Doubt its age, but he's just so pokey and sits his bum down on my hand rather than standing. His poop looks fine, he drinks and eats and nice feathers. But I know I have to get him checked out. Coco said "Hello" this morning and definitely says "more" while being scratched, he is so cute :heart:
He is so adorable!!! congratulations to you both! I would really look into a bigger cage. 2x2 won't be big enough. I started with one similarly sized and ended up getting a new one in less than a year. 3x2 is about the biggest you will find with bar spacing no bigger than 3/4 inch.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
He does look a little round, but your vet will be able to feel if there are any fat pads under the feathers and bloodwork will give you a good picture of his health. Weeble is bigger than Beeper, and always has been. She is 128 while Beeper weighs in at 114

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats! :) I agree that he looks a little bit overweight but he also looks to be in a very good condition. :)
And buy the biggest cage you can find. You will not regret that. A lot of rooms for toys and if you need to be away a hole day you can do it and not feeling bad.

And YES! They move in slow motion compared to a Conure. :D

GCChris

Walking the driveway
Coco has awesome flying skills! Even with his partial clip. He can hover, turn, and land neatly on your hand, just can't get much lift. Will be really fun when he moults!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Coco has awesome flying skills! Even with his partial clip. He can hover, turn, and land neatly on your hand, just can't get much lift. Will be really fun when he moults!
Aww, that is so awesome!!! Took a long time for weeble to learn. she would just go straight up like a helicopter.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:swoon: what a cutie patutie

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Coco is a beauty! Congrats on your new fid! :bounce7:

I think taking him for a checkup sooner than later is good... IMHO.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I agree on looking for a larger cage! :) You can buy flight cages on stands that are 32" x 21" x 35" H, or look into a 32" x 23" 'parrot' cage.

Once you add in perches, toys and dishes, the cages get cramped real fast!