• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird Poo problems

Fatgirl

Sprinting down the street
Hey everyone, hope everyone and their lovies are doing well :)

I have a slightly weird issue, Ive noticed my two lovies LOVE to leave two or three poos in their water. Its become a regular thing for them and im not sure how to tackle it. Any advice??

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
Are they still in the same small cage? Does the water bowl sit in a doorway or is it hooked over the bars? The easy answer would be to get another more spacious cage. I would also recommend adding another water bowl (you may have to go out and buy one if your cage came with bowls that sit in food doors) higher up and away from perches to avoid poo falling in while they're perched above the bowl - the downside to small, round cages being they don't always have enough space to put in extra bowls and still give the birds enough room for themselves. In the interim, just changing it more frequently will have to be your solution until you can offer another source of water.

Fatgirl

Hey thanks for the reply. :) Im planning on getting them a new cage soon, I would like some advice :)

This one is
Width 75cm. Depth 45cm. Height 90cm.
2015-10-10 00.28.48.png

And this other white one is
Width 51cm. Depth 41.5cm. Height 78cm.
2015-10-10 00.29.15.png

Which would be better to get them both? Im leaning more towards the black one as it seems rather large and gives them more room to fly around.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where are you located? Both those cages seem a bit small for two active lovebirds. Maybe we can help you find something better.

Fatgirl

There are some larger ones as well that I have come across. What dimensions ahould I be looking out for??

Fatgirl

Thanks for the prompt reply! :) I hope theyll both be excited for their new home soon.

Fatgirl

Hey everyone, I got my lovies a new bigger cage with a higher up water source. This time the water is in a perfect place for them not to poo in it from above. But both or them love to sit on the water bowl and poo! What shoule I do, im worried that if im asleep and they poo in it and drink it they'll get sick.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I got mine one of the silo water containers. They're easy to clean with a bottle brush and the actual drinking part is so small that I've never had a bird poo in one. They still have to be cleaned daily due to dust and bacteria getting in, but they're much easier to keep up with.

Fatgirl

Thanks for the advice, ill keep an eye out for it :)

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I don't know anything about the first product, but the second one is a bit small. Try to find a silo for medium-sized birds so that their beaks can fit into it more easily. Look at reviews for whatever you plan to buy and make sure there aren't any complaints about the product not working or breaking.

Fatgirl

Hey all I still haven't been able to get the right water silo, and now im changing their water 5 times a day. Their new bowls are wide and are deep. They love sitting atop it and just lounging and then pooig in the water. Is there anything I can do till i get the silo?

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Ordering online is a good option when local pet stores dont carry what your looking for.
Multiple perches will help them perch elsewhere instead of on their water. They will poop where they perch...so until they have other perch options your going to have this issue

Fatgirl

Ordering online is a good option when local pet stores dont carry what your looking for.
Multiple perches will help them perch elsewhere instead of on their water. They will poop where they perch...so until they have other perch options your going to have this issue

They have 4 perches where they spend most of their time on. I have to mention that the new cages food and water bowls are deep, 10cm deep bowls. They also love getting into the food bowl and eating there. But they dont poo in the food bowl. They only perch on the watwr bowl and poo inside.

Blue & Spud

Walking the driveway
Real Name
amanda
Yea my aviary birds do this too it drives me mental, I just got a second water dish for them and they still sit on & poo in the other one, but they do tend to drink from the new one & not the one they perch on (which I still change twice daily anyway)

Fatgirl

Yea my aviary birds do this too it drives me mental, I just got a second water dish for them and they still sit on & poo in the other one, but they do tend to drink from the new one & not the one they perch on (which I still change twice daily anyway)
Im going to be ordering them new clip on bowls since they dont want to stop. And the funny part is when they perch onto the bowl, they look at me and poo as if they know what they are doing is wrong!