• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pionus puberty?

Perriewinkle

Rollerblading along the road
So, i have a slim chance to take in a bronze wing rehome who is said to be 7-9 yrs old..

I don't have any back story and the current owner hasn't gotten back to me, but for the sake of asking..

When do pionus reach sexual maturity or start the puberty stages?

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
My baby started extreme agression toward my other male pionus at 3. My adopted boy came to me at.8 without these extreme issues but does display other behaviors like chewing all wood and paper in sight and becoming cage territorial. Others may have different experiences

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I adopted my maxi Pi when he was 8 yrs old in February of this year. He's a bit cage territorial but it's very doable as long as I respect him. :)

If you want this pionus, I strongly encourage you to do it! They're wonderful parrots from all I've read on AA and throughout the web!

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
How exciting! :batnana: According to Russ Shade puberty can begin between 18 months and 2 years old with males usually starting earlier than females. :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Eloy was early, he get into puberty when he was 1 years old.
And the second year was the worst.

Good luck! :goodluck:

Perriewinkle

Emails went unanswered. I dreamed of the bird and all possible horror stories associated with rehoming last night :/..

Noo i don't want her at all....

Today I will try calling or texting as i know it's easier for me, might be for them too

SnapV

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Virginie
Oh good luck!

And so far T-Rex is 1 1/2 years old and has not noticeably reached puberty. Can't wait! :dead:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Adorable!:xflove:I hope they get back to you! :D

Perriewinkle

SHE IS MINE!!!!!!

Now I just have to scramble to get toys together. I get to pick her up in three weeks.
I ordered from an AA vendor, but failed to realize it takes a couple weeks to make the order then ship..my own mistake there. But I can wait for the excellent quality the store provides.

But my local bird society is having a fair/fundraiser so hopefully I can pick out a bunch of things.

SOOOOO EXCITED

**edited to take out name of aa vendor. As i reread i felt like I was putting them on blast for something that was my fault**

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats! :bounce4::marlenesmile::bounce4::marlenesmile::bounce4::marlenesmile::bounce4::marlenesmile::bounce4:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Congrats! Females do not seem to have same puberty issues as males. And she will probably sit and observe for a few days so don't worry so much about having a lot of toys on the first day

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When you do get toys, I suggest thin pine slats and balsa wood and viney type things. At least that's what Leto likes.

Perriewinkle

@Flipper thank you for the advice on toys, i have balsa and pine coming.

@Maxsmom this makes me very much relieved. I keep going through my checklists of preening, chewing, foraging, foot toys,and shredding. Then I go through my material checklist of leather, wood, naturals (loofa, vines, etc), plastic, fabric/cotton.. and try to get samples of everything so I can learn what she enjoys.