• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie breeding/incubation questions......

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
Just an odd suggestion that might go against everything we have commonly been taught about sanitation. You might consider not throwing out the old bedding every day. In the wild the bedding gets all kinds of nasty, attracts insects and grows nasty bacteria and mold. A couple of reasons that is actually a good thing. Firstly the moisture from the droppings allow humidity buildup which is actually good for healthy skin, feather growth and hydration. Secondly, baby birds do a lot of immune development prior to fledging. Their body is basically sampling bacteria in the environment and building up antibodies to those things. I've rarely cleaned nest boxes for my birds unless they started to stink so bad it was bothering me and I've never had a sick baby because if it and rarely have sick adults. Also I do think we over sanitize and it has the potential to lead to a depressed immune system. I don't think we need to let things get nasty and full of mold, but I also don't think we are necessarily helping by keeping things super clean. With just a single chick in the nestbox, you can probably go a few days plus without having to worry about nestbox sanitation. In fact, chances are very good you could leave that baby in the box the whole time and never change out the old bedding until after she fledges. Especially with a mom that likes to throw stuff out anyway. However, I do recognize that moderation and basic sanitation when you can achieve it without bothering the parents is a good thing.

Good point! I didn't think of it that way but it makes complete and total sense about allowing the bacteria's to build up the immune system! It's not that I "clean" it to keep it "clean" really but mainly just like to make sure she has enough pine in there since parents are out of the box more so I think from now on Ill just add to what mama doesn't throw out so that Baby still has bedding. Mama Robyn likes to clean out the side where Baby is at most the time to the bare wood box flooring and I want to avoid splayed legs as much as possible and I noticed that Baby sits better with more pine in the box.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Here are some pics over the last couple days of Baby Girl!!! My how she has grown!!

11 days old! 08Oct15
IMG_6374.JPG IMG_6376.JPG

Today: 14 DAYS old 09Oct15 She loves to sleep in the corner like this! Silly girl!
IMG_6380.JPG IMG_6381.JPG IMG_6382.JPG

As of today Baby Girl is 2 WEEKS OLD!!!

Oh........and we have decided on a name for her finally!!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's very beautiful. So...what is her name?

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Well, Jake and I have put some thought into naming this Baby Girl. We decided to go with a Japanese name because.....well.....we wanted something different and unique for this special baby.

And now Jake and I would like to introduce you to our little girl!
Everyone.....Meet Aki-Youko!
Her name represents who she is and it means:
Aki (aw-Key) = born in the Autum
Youko (u-Ko) = Sun child

IMG_6386.JPG IMG_6392.JPG

We can already tell that she is a sweet, gentle and calm little girl and will be a joy to have around! She already love to curl up in my hand and cozy in to fall asleep!! I foresee AkiYouko spending many hours with me while I work on my education snuggled in the crook of my neck!!

Last edited:

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
She is already beautiful.

Matt

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Yes! I think so too! It looks like the tips of the wings and tail feathers are clear white....but is that possible with a lutino?? Eyes are definitely red! Maybe they are a super pale yellow but they look white at this point

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Lutinos can have white feathers.

Matt

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
She fell out of the nest box a couple of days ago at night! I found her on the bottom of the cage the next morning at "wake up" time. She wasn't moving much and a bit cold so I warmed her up and put her back I the box! Normally at "wake up" she already has a full crop but that AM she didn't so I watched and checked on her more that first day. I did notice that mom & dad did go in the box and it sounded like they were feeding her. It e been I checked she was only partially full (less than half full)so I continued to watch but at bedtime she still wasn't full......so I a hand feed her before bed. She did pretty good for a first hand feeding and she went to bed happy. The next day was the same thing and she was definitely hungry so I kept watch and ended up feeding her around 2pm. Is this normal for the parent to stop feeding enough at this stage? They have been doing so good and now I'm concerned that Baby isn't getting enough which is why ive done 1 feeding a day since she fell out......

***NOTE*** I say fell because the parent are still feeding her and they aren't mean to her so I don't think parents pushed her out

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Precious little one. Perhaps she is getting restless and wants to be in your hands so she tires to get out of the box. Maybe put a soft towel below the box where she fell at night.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
She is a very pretty sun child! :heart::heart::heart:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Precious little one. Perhaps she is getting restless and wants to be in your hands so she tires to get out of the box. Maybe put a soft towel below the box where she fell at night.

I did put towels on the bottom and then covered them with paper towels to help keep it clean and so nails don't get stuck! I was so afraid that she would/could hurt herself or worse! She definitely likes being with us at this point! She even let's me rub her cheeks and will position her face on my finger for scritches!! I handle her about 10-15m a day right now! Jake does to as he is more comfortable with her size now but she moves fast so he still gets nervous when she's being rambuncsious!

She is a very pretty sun child! :heart::heart::heart:

The pics don't even do her color justice! It's such a vivid yellow! Definitely a "Sun child"!! I just adore her!!

Heather F

Awww she's like a tiny blob of sunshine! What a pretty little thing :heart:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She may be nearing fledging time even though her feathers aren't full grown yet. How is her weight? You may want to try to find growth charts for baby budgies. Most parrots hit a peak weight shortly before fledging and then put themselves on a self imposed diet to loose the baby fat and fledge. Which may account for the less than full crop. During that time, they will be trying to climb around and become much more mobile. I suspect that nests in the wild are a lot taller and harder to get out of. Consequently, captive babies are often found on the floor of the cage before they are ready to fly. Also, it is natural for some species to leave the box before fully flying. Apparently some amazon species will very often leave the nest and spend some dangerous time on or near the ground before fully being able to fly in the wild. In a lot of species, the male takes over most of the feeding once the chick leaves the box. Being first time parents, he may not quite know what to do yet with this baby when its out and about on its own.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
She may be nearing fledging time even though her feathers aren't full grown yet. How is her weight? You may want to try to find growth charts for baby budgies. Most parrots hit a peak weight shortly before fledging and then put themselves on a self imposed diet to loose the baby fat and fledge. Which may account for the less than full crop. During that time, they will be trying to climb around and become much more mobile. I suspect that nests in the wild are a lot taller and harder to get out of. Consequently, captive babies are often found on the floor of the cage before they are ready to fly. Also, it is natural for some species to leave the box before fully flying. Apparently some amazon species will very often leave the nest and spend some dangerous time on or near the ground before fully being able to fly in the wild. In a lot of species, the male takes over most of the feeding once the chick leaves the box. Being first time parents, he may not quite know what to do yet with this baby when its out and about on its own.

I was thinking along those lines as well......mom and dad still feed her and I saw Baby peeking out to get fed tonight. She is doing well with weight (I'll weigh her again in the AM)! She is also climbing on me A LOT! Loves to climb my shirts in search of my neck! Tonight she managed to tuck herself under the collar of my shirt and snuggled right in making peeping sounds as she nibbled on me! I got some great pick that I need to download so I'll post new pics soon. When I went to rub her cheek tonight she also reacted with the want to eat so I gave her a small hand feeding tonight before bed. This was the 3rd day with one hand feeding!

Awww she's like a tiny blob of sunshine! What a pretty little thing :heart:

That's exactly what she is!! A blob of sunshine!!!:marlenesmile: :pinklol:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
@gibsongrrrl here is my sweet Baby Girl Budgie!!

She is 21 day old today! Growing fast and starting to explore!!! I have handled her daily from the start and now she get to "play" for about 10m a day with me!

Here she is posing for all of you awesome people trying to look her best tonight!
IMG_6435.JPG IMG_6436.JPG IMG_6437.JPG

Here she decided to climb me like a play gym!! She was trying to get into my shirt!!
IMG_6445.JPG

And she made it! Obviously very proud of herself!!
IMG_6448.JPG IMG_6465.JPG IMG_6468.JPG

She settled in and fell asleep making baby sounds!! Only to wake up to nibble on me while making little baby sounds still!!
IMG_6457.JPG IMG_6459.JPG IMG_6458.JPG
IMG_6460.JPG IMG_6463.JPG

Just one more sweet pic!! She loves to snuggle in my hand and will "run" to it when she sees it!
IMG_6440.JPG

I've been calling her "HunnyBun" lately!!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I do to know how I didn't see this before! She is adorable!!:heart: