• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which type of bird should I get?

Aubrienne

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi All! I am brand new here, and joined this message board in hopes of gaining some insight on different breeds of birds.

I am not new to birds at all... I have had pets all my life, and along with whatever other pets my family has, bunnies, guinea pigs, etc., we have always ALWAYS have had birds. We had a cockatiel & a couple parakeets when I was young, but I don't remember them much. Currently, we have a 16 year old green cheek conure (who I ADORE - Great bird!!), a young budgie (who I also adore, quite a riot, he talks a lot!), and a roughly 14 year old Meyer's parrot (who has been a nightmare of a bird - behavior problem and major biter).

Now, the reason I am here, is because I just recently moved out to my first apartment. Having come from a background of always having pets, it has quickly become empty feeling without any life in here! So as soon as I am settled and confident in my financial situation, I plan to welcome a pet into my new life.

I've been debating, I would need a small sized pet, fairly easy maintenance and low cost (although any vet care necessary I will always find a way to make work). Additionally, while the apartment allows pets, I am subletting from my friend who has the place fully furnished with all of her grandmother's antique furniture....she did not have pets. So I have figured that my best bet for a somewhat low maintenance, small, non destructive pet, would be a small bird. And last thing I took into consideration, is assuming I do not stay in this apartment throughout the bird's lifespan, I feel a small bird would allow the most leniency in a 'non-pet' apartment should I be faced with that (because I would NEVER give up a pet!!)

So assuming my above listed conclusions are on track, what are some opinions on the best companion bird? I do really want one who is social and affectionate. I just adore my little parkeet and get such a kick out of his personality, unique sounds, and considerably large vocabulary, however, when it comes to holding, cuddling, or petting him... he is not a fan!! He was even a hand-fed budgie we got from a young age..not that he's skiddish, still friendly and social, just can't really pet him :\ my green cheeck conure is very affectionate and loves to be pet, but I think we just lucked out with her in outstanding her behavior.. I worry that the beak is strong enough to do some damage to my friend's furniture if I don't get as lucky with the next one, and the adequate cage size is a little large for what I'm looking to get.

Given all this (sorry-) lengthy info, any suggestions??

Thanks so much - I am getting eager to have a feathery little companion! :)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
My suggestion would be to have your bird out only in your room under your supervision as a good parent ,,lol , this way your choice is widened , also lots of toys . a rehome would be nice check the internet where you live , you just might find one you could love and give a second chance to a great life

OH welcome to a great site AA is the best place we also I beleave have some birds looking to fins a great home

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. A lovebird, cockatiel or budgie would probably be your best bets.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm a big fan of cockatiels. :)

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I recommend 'tiels or a male lovebird :) I think they are the perfect balance of "bird" enough while still being enjoyable, relatively easy keeping pets.

Don't think little beaks = no destruction though. My tiels just did this to my blinds a few days ago :roflmao:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue!

Sounds like you're looking for a budgie, lovebird, or a tiel. I've never been owned by a lovie, but from all I've learned about them, they do make a good fit with what you're interested in.
You know about budgies, great birds...sometimes not that great cuddlers.
I would recommend a tiel! They have a steady, calm demeanor about them, they're not overly loud (in my experience, the boys tend to make a little more noise), and readily become great cuddlers. My tiels are very curious about their surroundings-so they are very social.

All birds can do damage with their beaks, so proper supervision is always needed when they're out and about.
One last thing...if at all possible, PLEASE consider a rescue bird! :)

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Cockatiel seems to fit the bill to me! My hand raised male loves nothing more than snuggling. He also had quite the personality. And though my other cockatiel probably wasn't hand raised (I adopted him and he had many homes before mine) he still loves nothing more than hanging out on your shoulder.

One thing to note is that certain individuals (of any species, not just tiels) will be more destructive, loud, or cuddly than others. Check out some local rescues if you have them to find some adult birds that already have their personalities set to see which one will make the best fit with your life and needs.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vote is a male lovebird! They're usually very cuddly, full of spunk, not too loud, and don't tend to bite.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome. What cage size were you looking to get? Even small birds need large cages.

Castle of Wings

Sitting on the front steps
I would definitely check out parrotlets if I were you! They're quieter than lovebirds and they have great personalities. I had a semi-tame male who loved to cuddle. He also learned the basics of stepping up in about thirty minutes. He was very smart, and I was impressed with him seeing as he hadn't been worked with very much. Beware of the beak, however. That particular bird was not a biter, but if they do decide to bite, it hurts. They could probably do some damage to furniture, but any parrot can do that.

RitanSunny

Moving in
Real Name
Rita
I just bought my Sunny less than 2 weeks ago. He's a Canary and I think he's wonderful.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Maybe another Pyrrhura might be up your ally? Doesn't have to be a green cheek.... there are maroon bellied conures, black capped conures, crimson bellied conures.... or maybe you want something a little bigger? Dusky conures, half moon conures, peach front conures, brown throated conures....

There are quakers as well, although they are banned in some states.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Hi and welcome to AA! I don't have any good suggestions, but would love to see a picture of your meyer's if you have one. Good luck with your choice and new place:)

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Could you bring one of your birds from home? :)

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
My vote goes for a cockatiel !:heart: I've been living in apartments for going on 4 years now:cool: and had never had a single complaint! But they can still be loud! mine are especially Loud in the morning! So much so the neighbor below me one time told me "your birds sing so lovely!" :lol:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
If going with a Lovebird, I also recommend make over females. When hens get nesty, they can be quite destructive, I've seen some go after drywall.