• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to feed a post egg stroke tiel?

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My 9yo Tiel Ruby had a stroke on 9/22. She is much better, but has lost some weight- avg 78g at the moment. I'm trying to get her weight up, but am mindful that she had issues with fat/protein in her blood. The birds all eat a mix of Volkman's No Sun Tiel, Goldenfeast Austrailian blend (mixing with MSBS' Australian to convert them to that), broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, microgreens, lettuce, & millet (both dried and green). What else can I feed her? I can feel her keel bone & it scares me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My tiel had a stroke last year (he's 18). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot to do for it. My vet said to make sure my tiel was getting enough calcium and vitamin B. It was also suggested to me to give senior nutriberries (of course your tiel isn't quite a senior) and to minimize foods heavy in vitamin K since that tends to thicken the blood which isn't good for a tiel with a history of stroke.

Some food my tiel loves- millet spray of course and rice. I usually give him Higgins Worldly Cuisine mix. You can also make birdie bread. And my tiel likes mashed sweet potato.

penguin

Avenue Veteran
I will take a look at the chop thread, thanks. Sunnysmom, what foods are high in vit K that you avoid?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I will take a look at the chop thread, thanks. Sunnysmom, what foods are high in vit K that you avoid?
I need to do a more comprehensive search- but I've stopped giving him broccoli. Which he loves. But I wonder now if I was giving it to him too often.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I can feel her keel bone & it scares me.

When a bird is "normal" weight there will still be a slightly pronounced keel bone. Go by her weight, not your fear. :)

penguin

Avenue Veteran
Good point, John. She's on the low end, and vet has prescribed lactulose. She has had issues with ammonia in the blood before. I'm not sure if that's what is going on with her. SHe has a recheck on Tuesday.