• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Held Hostage

Doris M

Sprinting down the street
So, is anyone hostage of their fowl? Well, I am.
Do I need to use the restroom? Take a bird. Or two.
Do I need to write an essay for school? Here's a bird.
Do I want to sleep in? Heck no. I don't. My fids are rehomed. They curse. lol
Can I go out? What am I thinking. No. There are feedings and cuddles and cutenesses.
Read a book? You mean the thing with awesome paperstuff shreddings??? Heck yeah...really close to beak, please.

I'm ok with all of these except IF I want a vacation or get a puppy... I am planning the former and did the latter. Am I doomed?
I think the problem with having a multitude of species is that I get caught up in each as it arises (e.g., puppy). I believe that this caused the night frights in my African Grey.

In any case, do any of you experience multi-species dilemmas?
What about being held hostage by your flock? Any takers?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Lifetime hostage. Just a little parole would be nice. :)

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have 4 birds, 2 and a half cats, and 2 and a half dogs (youngest cat can't make up his mind on what he is :rolleyes:) and a very harmonious household. It takes a bit of work but it's doable and so worth it :)
We did mini and regular vacations, all my animals are easy keepers, so the last 2 trips I had my daughter's friend house and pet sit :)

Doris M

I live my crew. Sometimes I just don't know which one is exerting the greatest pressure on my demand: they all want something NOW. Immediately. Perhaps give minutes ago - nuts are considered an emergency in our household lol

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Lifetime hostage! I love it @JLcribber :D
I tell my other half all the time that I really did used to be fun. Don't know if she believes me or not, though:lol: Spontaneous road trips and concerts, vacations, and nights out are but a distant memory these days. Most attempts cause me more worry and stress than fun.

No mulit-species issues here, although the dogs got all the attention before the flying dinosaurs took over. They were appalled at first, but came to quickly accept the feathered vending machines:lol: Were really bummed about me putting fencing around the cages so they can't mill around and under them, but sometimes the birds will toss them something over the fence:laugh:. mean 'ol mom won't let them have any fun:bored:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I tell my other half all the time that I really did used to be fun. Don't know if she believes me or not, though:lol: Spontaneous road trips and concerts, vacations, and nights out are but a distant memory these days. Most attempts cause me more worry and stress than fun.

No mulit-species issues here, although the dogs got all the attention before the flying dinosaurs took over. They were appalled at first, but came to quickly accept the feathered vending machines:lol: Were really bummed about me putting fencing around the cages so they can't mill around and under them, but sometimes the birds will toss them something over the fence:laugh:. mean 'ol mom won't let them have any fun:bored:

The ransom is high. Too high for most people. :)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Lifer here too...multi furry and feathered home ...its a mixture of musical rooms when the birds are out but we love every minute of it and wouldnt change a thing :wacky:

Doris M

So true! The guilt and feelings of responsibility overtake any idea of fun (which really isn't fun when all I do is worry... Or have to prepare food ect).

Did love the food dispensing for sure! They really do help with the clean up. As for vacation, I am going with housesitter of America. I need a vacation that will not feel awful lol

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
wow, what a neat site. Never heard of it before. I like how they have the "own pets" selection in the "refine search" part. I am so torn about pet sitters. On the one hand, I'd prefer someone who knows birds, but on the other, I am too scared to have someone coming in that has their own or works with them in case they might spread something to mine. Was so much easier when their "granny" was close by and could come stay with them.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo

The ransom is high. Too high for most people. :)
yes it is. I'm very lucky that other half gets it and doesn't begrudge me for being a 35 year old recluse:D she still laments her giant teflon coated broiler pan, occasionally but she found something else to use for....well whatever that big hunk of meat she cooks in it is:lol:I make sure to remind her once a year that we will be growing old with a cockatoo at some point and although she has no clue what that really means is in store for us, she hasn't given me even one stink eye:laugh: She loves traveling and my goal is to get an RV so we can all travel together some day. Weeble loves traveling, and I love that about her:heart: so dang adventurous, that bird.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
And now I have this wonderful loyal obedient dog that won't let me out of his sight for a second.

I'm innocent. :D
image.jpeg

Doris M

IMG_20151008_155436018.jpg here are a couple of the fur-crew aka the boys aka the pack. We also have a herd and then our flock. <3

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
If I don't go to my bird..He comes to me..as soon as I walk in the door he is calling..Yes I have went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, fixed part of dinner w bird on shoulder, picked up the house, made beds, it clothes away & vacuumed the house with bird crawling all over me..I feel guilty leaving him at home now in his cage when I go out of town to run errands..but he needs his alone time and a nappy..like about now..He is just sitting on my shoulder grinding his beak making this one sound over and over..we have done the loud whistles, the chatter, the talking now it's this..it's his version of mom, mom, mom, mom, mom....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
wow, what a neat site. Never heard of it before. I like how they have the "own pets" selection in the "refine search" part. I am so torn about pet sitters. On the one hand, I'd prefer someone who knows birds, but on the other, I am too scared to have someone coming in that has their own or works with them in case they might spread something to mine. Was so much easier when their "granny" was close by and could come stay with them.
I found some qualified pet sitters on Care.com. I didn't think I would but I had a surprisingly good selection to pick from.

Doris M

If I don't go to my bird..He comes to me..as soon as I walk in the door he is calling..Yes I have went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, fixed part of dinner w bird on shoulder, picked up the house, made beds, it clothes away & vacuumed the house with bird crawling all over me..I feel guilty leaving him at home now in his cage when I go out of town to run errands..but he needs his alone time and a nappy..like about now..He is just sitting on my shoulder grinding his beak making this one sound over and over..we have done the loud whistles, the chatter, the talking now it's this..it's his version of mom, mom, mom, mom, mom....
I built stands to take mine along. But both birds are rehomed. I don't trust Aquila in my shoulder unless it's nighttime and we're doing our petting routine. And Lucius is special needs. He simply doesn't do shoulders.. Or anything other than food lol
That's actually why I posted this. Sometimes juggling all animals' needs is incredibly challenging because I have to gate this one, perch that one, answer to this one, and secure that one... ;)

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I always have a fis on me. Also have a Velcro dog :)
It doesn't bother me one bit, although some tasks are harder to complete with eight extra legs !!!

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
My velcro dog grew up around my animals so, while some would disagree, for the most part I trust her with anything. She's helped me contain young bantam chickens, find escaped guinea pigs, keep track of a brain damaged cat we used to have, and herd rabbits back into their pen. No animal is ever left where it could get in reach of another when they aren't supervised though. The dogs are gated downstairs but the dog that follows me everywhere can get past the gate if she wants. She just doesn't want to unless I'm up there. When we are gone the dogs are in solid crates. The chinchillas have sets of 2x6x4'h cages down the livingroom and dining room which are extremely durable and the dogs could not break into without a lot of time and a lot of commotion. Hamsters, guinea pigs, and hedgehogs live in a bedroom with a hardwood door and an extra sliding bolt latch installed. The cats have the small bedroom to be put in from about midnight to noon. The birds are sharing the largest other room with some fish tanks (fully covered in glass tops with contained lights) and another hardwood door with extra latch. 1 species crossing into the other species area only happens in a controlled way. It does make birds, cats, and dogs a little difficult because there is at least one of each that always wants to be with me but like I said my velcro dog is quite trustworthy. She just went "oh we have those feathered things again. Do you have a treat for me to chew on while you play with that?" The husky I'm working on. She's only a year old. Personally I would not have kept the shiba dog because she is the only one that causes problems with the other animals and actually intends to kill things, everything, but my husband loves her. I'm mostly careful to exclude her from things and leave it to my husband to exercise and entertain her enough hours of the day. She still has it better than if her owners worked all day.

I actually thought we would pull off going to thanksgiving with my dad's family this year. Started thinking about what I need to organize for that and wth was I thinking? It's not happening.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
I only have hermit crabs and I don't think they or I will be comfy having them on my shoulders..Lol! We never go anywhere that requires a pet sitter if I need one I have my son that has a bird to.