• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beginner tricks for Sun Conure?

Emma Maitland

Strolling the yard
I want to start training my Sun Conure, Nando, and I wanted to know what tricks would be good to start him out with! Any tips?

moothepoo

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Step up. Present your hand, if he hops on it, click or use verbal praise and reward. Do this overtime he hops onto your hand.

Target. Use a chopstick, and overtime he beaks it, click or use verbal praise and reward.

These two are the easiest.

Emma Maitland

Strolling the yard
Step up. Present your hand, if he hops on it, click or use verbal praise and reward. Do this overtime he hops onto your hand.

Target. Use a chopstick, and overtime he beaks it, click or use verbal praise and reward.

These two are the easiest.
He already knows how to step up pretty well. I wanna try target training so I need to get a clicker. Thanks!!!

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You don't have to have a clicker to do target training. You can use your voice instead of the "click" sound. I just say "Good!" to my flock.

If you want to do trick training, then target training is definitely the place to start. Almost all other more complicated tricks start with having a target. (For example- a complicated trick like putting a ball in to a cup. It's really a series of target training- go to the ball, touch the ball, go to the cup, touch the cup)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How about trying to teach him to wave "bye bye"?

Emma Maitland

Strolling the yard
You don't have to have a clicker to do target training. You can use your voice instead of the "click" sound. I just say "Good!" to my flock.

If you want to do trick training, then target training is definitely the place to start. Almost all other more complicated tricks start with having a target. (For example- a complicated trick like putting a ball in to a cup. It's really a series of target training- go to the ball, touch the ball, go to the cup, touch the cup)
That sounds like such a cool trick! Hopefully we'll make it there some day :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
For waving bye I hold them on my hand and touch there foot saying "wave". the moment they pick up the foot ( even the slightest ) say "good" and reward them. It does not take long at all. :D

moothepoo

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
For waving bye I hold them on my hand and touch there foot saying "wave". the moment they pick up the foot ( even the slightest ) say "good" and reward them. It does not take long at all. :D

Is that you? What a beautiful Hyacinth Macaw.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have taught my Scarlet Macaw by voice , might have taken longer then using a clicker but my mind set is i don't want to have to go and find a device in a hurry or emergency. I also taught him to wave w/ his wing. When he is perched on my hand I wave my hand and say Hello, ask him to wave and touch his wing to lift it, the minute he lifts it even slightly offer the treat.

Emma Maitland

Strolling the yard
I have taught my Scarlet Macaw by voice , might have taken longer then using a clicker but my mind set is i don't want to have to go and find a device in a hurry or emergency. I also taught him to wave w/ his wing. When he is perched on my hand I wave my hand and say Hello, ask him to wave and touch his wing to lift it, the minute he lifts it even slightly offer the treat.[/QUOTE
that is absolutely adorable!!