• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is bigger always better?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She likes her cage because it's her cage. Stop over thinking. These negatives are in your eyes. Not hers. Its more than likely the only thing she truly feels safe in because it is hers.

This thinking with the emotional side of your brain is not helping.
I think the point is she doesn't like her cage, not that she does. :confused:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's been over two years, and Target still hates her cage (42"x30", Avian Aventures Grande Playtop). But she loves that 24"x22" playtop I use as her boarding cage on vacations.

You stated at the very beginning that she loves her little cage. That is the cage I'm talking about.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You stated at the very beginning that she loves her little cage. That is the cage I'm talking about.
That is not her cage, only a cage I use for boarding. I *could* give her that cage, but I want to see if I can get her something bigger that she will like too... Nothing wrong with exploring my options before putting her in a cage that most people would agree is much too small for her permanently... especially since she does not spend the majority of the day out of her cage.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@JosienBB Was she more active in the smaller cage? I totally agre with the low bottom. I specifially looked for a cage with a higher cage bottom because I knew my birds wouldnt be comfortable that close to the ground. Maybe just do a search to see what's out there, but dont commit unless you find one you know she will be happier in?

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@JosienBB Was she more active in the smaller cage? I totally agre with the low bottom. I specifially looked for a cage with a higher cage bottom because I knew my birds wouldnt be comfortable that close to the ground. Maybe just do a search to see what's out there, but dont commit unless you find one you know she will be happier in?
Yes, she was a lot more active in the small cage. And when I used it as Ophelia's temporary cage before I got Ophelia's bigger cage, she would fly over to it all the time, and start defending it.

I want to make it clear that the small cage is not, and has never been, her cage. So I don't understand why she gets territorial over it. This territorial behaviour started before I began using it as her boarding cage. It was Ophelia's temporary cage before it was her boarding cage.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Right now with Targets situation you should not be introducing any more or new stresses in her life. She needs to heal, get healthy and stronger.

Right now familiar and comfortable are the focus.

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
My tiels love a bigger for them bigger is better

:)

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Maybe she would like a dome top better. You can still make an awesome play area on it. I did that for my HH and it was really cool Went on the side of the cage and up the dome a bit. basically gave her an additional space half the size of her cage, but on the outside.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
If having 2 cages for her is okay for a while, maybe you could try using the big one just for foraging and play time (with the door open) and see if she starts to like it more. I do that sporadically with Sapphires tiny travel cage and she is much happier staying in it now.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Yes, she was a lot more active in the small cage. And when I used it as Ophelia's temporary cage before I got Ophelia's bigger cage, she would fly over to it all the time, and start defending it.

I want to make it clear that the small cage is not, and has never been, her cage. So I don't understand why she gets territorial over it. This territorial behaviour started before I began using it as her boarding cage. It was Ophelia's temporary cage before it was her boarding cage.
Why not just give her the small boarding cage for now until she heals if she likes it so much ...keeping stress down right now is a must for her ...then introduce a new cage later when she is well ...:)

RocketBo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bobo
I don't have cages for birds but given the choice my birds prefer smaller sleeping quarters. Maybe a small box shelf feels more 'nesty' and safe? How about using the small one as her sleeping cage so that she does spend time in the cage she likes? But only put food in the bigger one though.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My Amazon loves his 36x24 cage. I at one time bought him a 30x40 cage, and he hated it. I think all that space intimidated him. I left him in it for a time thinking he'd get used to it. I finally had to buy him a smaller cage again. He's now happy once more.

I'd like to try again. I think if I could fill all that empty space with walkways, ladders, perches, etc... he might not feel so lost in a larger cage.

How much space is in Target's large cage? Have you tried to fill that space with lots of means of getting around? If not, it might work.