• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tea

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im thinking about getting some teas for my fids ...Id like some input from anyone who uses them ...how do you and your fids like them and what type do you use and why ....Im looking at the Immune Boost and the Respaid ...Im also thinking about Reprocalm and Digest Aid just to have for those hormonal times and Avian Detox for Loki because she is still twitching abit ...I have done some reading on teas and what I have read makes me think they are a great product to add to your birds diet ...What do you all think ?:)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
We just tried the teaks here and everyone loved it. I did not buy it expecting results, I think I bought skin and feather one, we just had a warm treat that everyone enjoyed. Something different. :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So how is it made/given ...is it given as an actual tea drink ...everything I read didn't really say which is the best way to give it
?:)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You use very hot water and dip the tea bag into the water. I use coffee filters as the tea bags. Cool a bit and pour in a bowl. I let them sip from my cup. ;)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have read that you can use it on their food as well ...if so would you just pour the tea on their food or can you use the actual tea leaves?:)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You could bake with it using it as the liquid. I would not just use the leaves.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I've been thinking abut trying them as well. @Macawnutz do you know if the teas are made/stored in a bird free facility? Haven't asked yet.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Oh it says right on the website it can be used as a whole food ..."All tea components may be left in bowl for birds to consume"...so I would think you could :D

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I've been thinking abut trying them as well. @Macawnutz do you know if the teas are made/stored in a bird free facility? Haven't asked yet.

I did not email the company to ask this. It is backed by quite a few great vets and that was good enough for me. I would not expect to email a company and have them admit to not having a bird free facility. ;)

Oh it says right on the website it can be used as a whole food ..."All tea components may be left in bowl for birds to consume"...so I would think you could :D

Nope, did not read that. :) It also does not state that on the bag. They are pretty straightforward ingredients. I guess having large birds I don't consider them eating something like that.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Mysafebirdstore Has several tea blends for birds.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I would not expect to email a company and have them admit to not having a bird free facility. ;)
You trying to give me a heart attack?:eek::faint::lol:I actually have had a few admit to it when I inquired. The stores I do shop at outside of my main supplier, which I know firsthand is birdfree, either advertised that way or I saw it here on the vendor list, so I've always asked with non AA stores. If a vendor goes to bird fairs, I even ask about what they do with stock that doesn't sell to make sure it isn't mixed in with the things I might order online. That always freaks me out though, even if they say it's kept separate. Being paranoid is no fun at all:cautious::wacky:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@Tyrion

Don't know where you are, but Jason Crean will be at our club in St Louis on the 18th. There's a thread on the forums about it. No charge to attend.

I've tried several of the teas .....drove to Houston, Texas to hear him talk years ago.

I brewed the tea and served it over the large roudybush biscuits. Just make sure it isn't hot. The zons like soft food so it was a win/win.

I personally like the avian detox (& drink some myself).

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Very informative read! Thanks everyone :) Great question @Tyrion !! I've been looking at teas too for my tiny ones...

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Pure, warm camomile tea for baths when the itches get going. It seems to soothe... Be careful about light colored feathers though because everything will be very slightly yellow afterward!

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
ok this is a first tome I ever heard about teas for birds , are you talking herb teas or any teas with fruit and things

just call me slow,,lol

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Jason Crean did research and works with birds in addition to his regular job. I buy those because they were developed for birds.

Otherwise you have to get certain things or it can hurt the birds.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I got a message back from Jason and for sure you can feed the tea as a whole food ...he puts them in his mash ...but says its better steeped ...so all I have to do is get Loki and Tyrion to drink out of cups now ...:wideyed: