• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Member of our family

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC does the forearm thing. He came to me scared of hands. It's been several years and he's just now putting one foot on the hand regularly but then shuffles to that forearm.

Only once has he stood on my hand but that was a powerful moment.

You're quite brave in doing the shoulder!

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Im not as brave as you think lol She got up on my shoulder before I knew what was happening. She actually got around the back of my head and I was sitting, so my ears were a little safer.
My wife was sitting next to me watching her so as soon as she moved back to my shoulder we moved her back to my lap. She hasnt been bity since we got her but its only been a week. We allow our senegal to sit or ride on our shoulder, but we had both agreed she wasnt going to be allowed there.

Another thing that is taking getting used to is the smell she emits. I know its the Amazon musky smell and sometimes its a little sweeter smelling, but it takes getting used to lol
What kind of time frame is suggested on introducing her to water or bathing? Im sure it depends on the bird and we dont want to push her, Im just wondering.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would say when you're comfortable and the parrot is comfortable, do the light mist....spray into the air above them and let it fall gently.

Love the smell.....it means you're special!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would say when you're comfortable and the parrot is comfortable, do the light mist....spray into the air above them and let it fall gently.

Love the smell.....it means you're special!
I think when you start feeling like she is comfortable in your home you can start bathing her. Ask her breeder if she got baths with them and how they were administered. Some of my baby napes take to baths right away like they are the most wonderful thing ever. Others are a little lukewarm about them for a while.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
The lady said she had never bathed her and she doesnt seem interested in her water bowl much. She is stepping up really well and enjoys lap time playing with foot toys and eats everything that isnt nailed down. The lady was surprised that she ate veggies, she had never had them before. We finally got her to sort of sit still long enough to weigh her, she weighed 375.
I may try to mist her when its warm tomorrow and see how she does.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It sounds like she is adjusting very well.

Matt

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
She is absolutely gorgeous!! Glad she is settling in so well.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Tried to give Lucy a spritzdown today, she wasnt happy about it at all, she gave my thumb a good chomp, didnt break the skin, but got my attention :cautious:
She calmed down after a bit and came and apologized to me and let me give her scritches for the first time. She has become extremely vocal in the afternoons, just jabbering away, mostly saying things I cant understand but seems to enjoy herself. We got a good weight on her this morning, she was calm on the scale and weighed 395.
I will build an area for her and Mango to play in the water in the outdoor aviary, maybe she will bathe herself in it. I only have the door left and I will be finished with it. Here is a picture of Lucy letting me give her scritches.
Lucy scritches.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Looks like a very relaxed and happy Lucy ...

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Umm how did she give your thumb a chomp? Were you holding her while bathing?

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
No she gave it a chomp when I got her to step up after trying to bathe her. She doesnt want to step up on arms anymore, just hands.
Im working on using a stick, but she isnt having any of it so far. I really think she felt bad for biting me, she cried when I put her in the cage, so I got her back out and
she got all lovey dovey and let me give her scritches. Was the first time she let me, so far she doesnt like you touching her at all.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Care to share details on the bathing try?

Baths are just so important.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just went back through and looked at all her pictures again. She really is just beautiful.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I think one of the things I have to get her over is wanting to be only on me when she is out of her cage. I have a play tree and a T-stand with toys on both but she wants nothing to do with them.
Ive tried letting her out and letting her just play on her cage but she flies to me. So with the bath I had her on a towel next to the sink on the counter and had the water running. She was just trying to get on me the whole time I was trying to spritz her. I got her good and wet, but she wasnt happy at all, but like I said, I just have the door to finish on the outdoor aviary. I believe this will help solve her just being on me when she is out and Im going to provide an area for her to play in water out there as well.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You may want to try putting her in the shower on a shower stand. It gives something to grip. I can make those out of pvc easily.

Or even get in the shower with her. Just make sure water is just barely warm.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, she make like the shower if she's doing it with you!

She's such a sweetie :heart: Love the scritch pic!

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Lucy is a beauty! Congrats!

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I finally fixed the door and got it on the outdoor aviary, Lucy got to spend maybe 30 min in there before it got dark. Here is a few pics, she liked the new atom thing I built. I still have more perches and things to put in there plus her bath area.
Lucy Outside 3.jpg Lucy Outside 4.jpg Lucy Outside 2.jpg Lucy outside 1.jpg

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice looking aviary. Did you have to special order the wire for it?