• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie breeding/incubation questions......

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
I see no problem with leaving the egg a while longer. I am no help regarding predicting her mutation. I have never really looked into budgie genetics all that much. She's looking great though. By this time next week, she will look like a different bird.

Thanks! She will be a different bird next week! I can't wait to watch the whole process! She already has more feathers since yesterdays pics!!

I know that you aren't a budgie expert but I do appreciate all the input you have offered so far! Do you know of any budgie people here that may know more than both of us when it comes to mutations? I get so confused with all that!!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you know of any budgie people here that may know more than both of us when it comes to mutations? I get so confused with all that!!
I don't know. You might try the budgie species list. I know there are other people on here that have bred budgies. Maybe @karen256

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Try doing a Google search for budgie mutations. I remember there was a very good one.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
already looked to that site but it's still all very confusing ;)

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Here are some pics from tonight at bedtime!! The box was also cleaned out so it's all fresh in there now!

She is 9 days old and it's amazing to see her grow!!

Her eyes are opening! (please excuse the dry hands! I've been washing A LOT lately!)
Baby 9 days.JPG

and her feathers are starting to come out a bit!
Baby 9days.JPG Baby1 9days.JPG

She's getting so big!!!

Also found out from someone who knows more about budgies that she will be yellow with no markings because both parents are in the green series and that the fact that Robyn's dad is a blue series doesn't matter as green is the dominate series. Our little girl is a LUTINO!!!

With this knowledge I think we have a name!!!

Last edited:

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
aww she is soo cute!! love seeing the pics of her growing as well.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
New pics will be posted today!!! She is 11 days old and getting her colors on her wings and tail feathers that are coming in! It's so awesome watching her grow and develop!!

I think we have all (my 4 kids and I - hubby doesn't care so much) agreed on her name!!

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Here are some pics from tonight's bedtime!!! She is officially 11 days old today!!! (I mistyped her age above!)

AM PICS
First thing this AM I found her standing!! Look at her feathers coming in!
IMG_6316.JPG IMG_6317.JPG

PM PICS
Some close up shots!! You can see she is definitely a Lutino by her yellow feathers and pink/red eyes which make her a Little Girl for sure!! Take a look at that full crop!! She is well fed by both parents!!
IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6336.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

Oh Honey! You need to wait to take flight just a bit longer!!
IMG_6339.JPG

Baby Girl is tired and thought my hand was a perfect place to curl up and fall sound asleep! Just precious and so sweet!!!
IMG_6346.JPG

IMG_6350.JPG

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Love your photo series. Is it safe to tell us her name yet?

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
aww she is getting to big so fast! so adorable

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for posting the updated photos. She/he looks great!

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Thanks everyone!!

@iamwhoiam from what I understand (from those who know more than me) is that "she" is definitely is a "she" due to her turning out to be a Lutino (pink/red eyes w/yellow feathers) which is a sex linked mutation "she" is definitely a GIRL!!! Since her dad is split to "INO" and mom is not that makes her a girl.

With that said.......we are on the fence with 2 possible names!! Both are different and unique with one being more so than tho other!

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Here are some new pics of the Little One!!

Not the best pic but this is when I got her out of the box and her little (well, actually, pretty BIG) feet grabbed on to my pinky finger and she wouldn't let go! She was being pretty load about it too!!
IMG_6353.JPG

Here you can see Mom & Dad (tails) in the background watching their Baby.....well, watching me at least! LOL They are so good about sharing this Little One. At one point, Robyn even jumped on me to check on her and fed Baby a bite before jumping back into her "house"!!
IMG_6355.JPG
IMG_6356.JPG

Here I was petting her & she started making little baby sounds!
IMG_6359.JPG
IMG_6362.JPG

She looks like she is smiling here! I think she is :) because she wouldn't let go of my finger tip here and would "get" mad making loud chirpy sounds or at least trying to make them if I moved it away! She is definitely working on that grip too ~ she's strong!!
IMG_6365.JPG

Back to bed for her! It's been a long day and she has lots of growing to do overnight!! She loves to snuggle her face into the new bedding at night when I put her back in her box! And by "snuggle" I actually mean bury herself!!! Silly girl!!
IMG_6371.JPG

See you all next time!!!

Heather F

Awwww look she's starting to get fluffy! I love those tiny little pin feathers.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have an idea for you. I have a breeder friend who has raised a one chick clutch before. The chicks like to have something in the next box to cuddle with. She took a human baby T shirt made of cotton and tightly rolled it up in a log shape and put it in the nest box. It worked very well and the baby bird loved it! What do you think?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have an idea for you. I have a breeder friend who has raised a one chick clutch before. The chicks like to have something in the next box to cuddle with. She took a human baby T shirt made of cotton and tightly rolled it up in a log shape and put it in the nest box. It worked very well and the baby bird loved it! What do you think?
I'm not sure I'd chance putting a foreign object in the nest box. All the pairs I've ever had would likely have been so freaked out by the new thing thing, there would have been abandonment or otherwise major trouble. Sometimes less is more when it comes to raising babies.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwwwww what an adorable baby girl.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
With Robyn just now "reluctantly" accepting the pine in there I don't think I would attempt to add a cozy thing at this point. Both mom and dad go in with her at night and throughout the day. I also make sure the room is warmer that what is comfortable for me :) For now, since Robyn still pushes out the pine throughout the day, every night at bed time I clean out the old and give Baby lots of new shavings for the night. They are still there most of the day as (I think) Robyn is finally getting sick of all the work it takes to get them out. But I do have a little cozy friend ready in case I should have to take over the care of the baby at any point but I honestly don't foresee that happening at this point since both parents are doing a great job caring for her together. Even dad has played an active role in her care since the beginning to include being in the box just because (with and without mom in there) and feeding her sometimes more than mom.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just an odd suggestion that might go against everything we have commonly been taught about sanitation. You might consider not throwing out the old bedding every day. In the wild the bedding gets all kinds of nasty, attracts insects and grows nasty bacteria and mold. A couple of reasons that is actually a good thing. Firstly the moisture from the droppings allow humidity buildup which is actually good for healthy skin, feather growth and hydration. Secondly, baby birds do a lot of immune development prior to fledging. Their body is basically sampling bacteria in the environment and building up antibodies to those things. I've rarely cleaned nest boxes for my birds unless they started to stink so bad it was bothering me and I've never had a sick baby because if it and rarely have sick adults. Also I do think we over sanitize and it has the potential to lead to a depressed immune system. I don't think we need to let things get nasty and full of mold, but I also don't think we are necessarily helping by keeping things super clean. With just a single chick in the nestbox, you can probably go a few days plus without having to worry about nestbox sanitation. In fact, chances are very good you could leave that baby in the box the whole time and never change out the old bedding until after she fledges. Especially with a mom that likes to throw stuff out anyway. However, I do recognize that moderation and basic sanitation when you can achieve it without bothering the parents is a good thing.