• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy life for cockatiel with crushed feet?

cockatielhh

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all! This post is a little long, but please bear with me—I (and a beautiful bird) could really use your help.

A few days ago, I adopted a 2-year-old cockatiel named Ambrose (pic in my profile) from a vet who had been fostering him since June. His feet were seriously injured somehow when he was living with his previous owner—the largest bones in both of his feet were completely crushed, and the two toes that are supposed to face backward on both of his feet were broken and now face forward (so he has four forward-facing toes on each foot). He can't grasp perches well and walks a bit slowly and awkwardly using the joint in the middle of his legs—it's basically like he's walking on his knees (he's since developed calluses on both "knees"). He was too small to go through surgery, so his feet were bandaged up through July. The vet said his previous owner was mentally ill and was likely the cause of these injuries and that if Ambrose hadn't been so gentle and sweet, he might have been euthanized (I'm so glad he wasn't, obviously). He requires a bit of help navigating around his cage: He has a system of soft, study ropes, perches and ladders that he uses to get around, but he's doing so much better than he used to and is even able to use his beak to grab onto the sides of the cage and lift himself up. He doesn't seem to be in any pain at all, and he gets regular physical therapy for his injuries (gentle leg/feet massages and stretches and soaks in warm water—he's still very confused about the latter).

Anyway, I don't think Ambrose has ever been given toys besides mirrors—he's not really sure what to do when I put in a bunch of bright new playthings for him—and he's very nervous about being outside of his cage (his cage is his safe zone). He puts up quite a fuss when he's taken out of his cage (hissing, nipping, etc.) because he has to be picked up (he won't "step up" on anyone's fingers to be taken out).

He's such a sweet bird (I can't say that enough) and enjoys looking out the window at cars passing by and chirps whenever I leave the room as if to say, "Hey, where are you going?" He has so much potential and deserves to have a normal, happy life despite his limitations. If anyone has any tips on good perch/toy ideas for birds with foot injuries, I'd love to hear them! More importantly, though, does anyone have tips to gain his trust (so he can be out of his cage more often/interacting with people), or at least to put a little joy back into his life? I'm worried about him becoming depressed because he's too scared to ever come out of his cage or enjoy normal pet bird things like showers and fresh veggies/fruit and toys. I especially don't want him to think that all humans are out to abuse him.

I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer! I've attached a picture of him (from an afternoon when I took him out of his cage and he was calmly resting on my hand for a bit) if you'd like to see what a cutie he is. Thanks for reading :)

Attachments

Last edited:

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
I had a rescue Pionus with one foot that didn't function at all. I got rope perches for him -- he seemed to like those. Otherwise, he climbed all over his cage all the time, and didn't act like anything at all was wrong with him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Platform perches may be nice for this bird. Most birds love them.

Placing wooden platforms under shelves and replacing traditional food bowls with shallow dishes. DSCF6223-300x225.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He is very beautiful and looks very happy! :) Congrats and thanks for giving him a good life! ♥

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Birds have an amazing ability to overcome disability. This little guy will probably have little to no problems because of the feet. They adapt and he sounds like a real fighter!
I will never forget when I was in Hawaii at an outdoor cafe, there was a (wild) pigeon with NO FEET, walking on stubs and still chasing off the other birds.

As for socializing him, you should treat him like any other bird. If he can't wrap his feet around your finger like a non-disabled bird would, perhaps "step up" train him to hop into an open palm instead. His trepidation just sounds like normal socialization issues you'd find in a bird who's experienced trauma and is now in a new home.