• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heaters

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I've searched a little regarding heaters for my fids but how do I know if my heater is safe for them or not. I need to purchase a portable heater for my fids and me.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Those radiator-stye oil-filled heaters are safe. We used one for years around Kiwi. I would venture to say the regular space heaters might be ok to use when you are around, but I would NEVER leave those types running unattended (bird or not).

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Cool - thank you. About six years ago I had five of those oil-filled heaters and now I can't find them (they were put in a shed that is too far away from the house for me to walk to). I wasn't sure they were safe. There are so many options now.

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
These aren't room heaters, but they are cage warmers. I have one of these avitec cage heaters on each of my fids cages and they love them. I keep plexiglass on 1/2 of the top of their cage on the side with the heater so it helps hold in the warmth on that side of the cage, but if they get too warm they can move to other side of cage that is cooler. I cover cages at night leaving end that heater hangs on uncovered (you can't cover the heater). It keeps them warm and toasty at night and when house is colder in the wintertime. My fids love to sit in front of them and especially after their baths.

Read the testimonials on their web page, lots of satisfied customers and have helped some fids that have had some medical issues as well.

Extra Small AviTemp Heat Panel (11" x 11") 35W- Including Std Cage Mount

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I had a propane wall furnace installed in my twenty by fifteen family/birdroom. The propane is stored in an exterior 100 gallon pressure tank and they fill it each month during heating season. I keep the room at seventy degrees in the winter and I also provide heated perches in their species cages and two heater cage radiators so the birds can warm up if they feel cold. The heated perches are very popular and the birds take turns standing on them. Emmie CAG sleeps on his in the winter and he loves it.

You can get free standing propane heaters that vent to the outside and are safe to use when unattended. Go to a fireplace or heating store, a specialty store, and see what they have. The bottles are easy to change and the heaters are very efficient. Also have a CO2 detector and a propane detector installed in the room at the same time. That way, if the heater malfunctions, you have a way of knowing it is not safe ASAP.

Many heaters have Teflon on their vanes, so check and make sure the one you buy does not have such coatings. It is also recommended if you buy an electric heater, even one of the oil radiators, you run it outside to make sure any vapor burn-off from initial use is not done in the presence of your birds.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
These aren't room heaters, but they are cage warmers. I have one of these avitec cage heaters on each of my fids cages and they love them. I keep plexiglass on 1/2 of the top of their cage on the side with the heater so it helps hold in the warmth on that side of the cage, but if they get too warm they can move to other side of cage that is cooler. I cover cages at night leaving end that heater hangs on uncovered (you can't cover the heater). It keeps them warm and toasty at night and when house is colder in the wintertime. My fids love to sit in front of them and especially after their baths.

Read the testimonials on their web page, lots of satisfied customers and have helped some fids that have had some medical issues as well.

Extra Small AviTemp Heat Panel (11" x 11") 35W- Including Std Cage Mount
Wow - that is cool. I forgot I have a heater for one of my birds. I did cover one end of their bird cages this morning.
I may have a heated perch somewhere too but since I have packed a lot of my house right now it's hard to find things.

Where do you get plexiglass?

I had a propane wall furnace installed in my twenty by fifteen family/birdroom. The propane is stored in an exterior 100 gallon pressure tank and they fill it each month during heating season. I keep the room at seventy degrees in the winter and I also provide heated perches in their species cages and two heater cage radiators so the birds can warm up if they feel cold. The heated perches are very popular and the birds take turns standing on them. Emmie CAG sleeps on his in the winter and he loves it.

You can get free standing propane heaters that vent to the outside and are safe to use when unattended. Go to a fireplace or heating store, a specialty store, and see what they have. The bottles are easy to change and the heaters are very efficient. Also have a CO2 detector and a propane detector installed in the room at the same time. That way, if the heater malfunctions, you have a way of knowing it is not safe ASAP.

Many heaters have Teflon on their vanes, so check and make sure the one you buy does not have such coatings. It is also recommended if you buy an electric heater, even one of the oil radiators, you run it outside to make sure any vapor burn-off from initial use is not done in the presence of your birds.
thank you. I will make sure to do that if I get a new one. The old ones (in the shed) if I can find one I will run them outside as well to burn off any thing that has grown on it for the last six years.

Once I get my furnace fixed this won't be a problem. But thank you all for the suggestions.

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
I got the plexiglass at glass repair shop we have here, also some hardware stores carry it as well. I like the plexiglass on top of cage because it holds in heat but still lets in light too :)

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I like the light getting in my cages as well so on the flat top ones I don't put up the trays. The plexiglass would solve the problem. I think I can get it a Lowe's. I will check later this week sometime.

moothepoo

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I've searched a little regarding heaters for my fids but how do I know if my heater is safe for them or not. I need to purchase a portable heater for my fids and me.
Email the manufacturer for the heater. I emailed Bionaire to ask if they use Teflon or PTFE in the heater and within a day, they got back to me telling me that they don't use those.

Usually manufacturers are eager to answer your questions as they WANT you to buy their products and would not hesitate to alay your fears.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Do you have just one cage? I used a ceramic globe attached to the lamps made for reptiles. They also use them for chicken coops here so bird safe. I attached it to a thermostat and clamped the lamp to the cage. I had to set it a few centimetres away from cage and also covered the other cage sides at night (not lamp side). As the temps here arent too severe (got down to 5 cecius here inside some nights though) this is all i needed. I got a 60watt globe. Thankfully the Winter has passed here so no need for it over the coming months.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I have four HUGE cages. It was much better this morning but it is supposed to be getting colder and the furnace isn't working in my house right now. I thought it would be much warmer during October but it's not. The cages either have an AV (that isn't the right term but it's all I can think of right now) light on them or I covered a portion of their cage so they could stay warm. It isn't real cold...just on the cool side. In fact, last night I slept most of the night without covers on the bed. So maybe I'm just babying my fids a little too much.

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
Part of the reason I put my birds in the room they are is that it's setup so it can be temperature controlled separate from the rest of the house. It has it's own ac unit, venting, and because of my hedgehogs that are a desert species, we are retiring all our breeders and no longer raising them, I have one of the oil heaters that's newer and a radiant heater I have left running pretty much constantly for 5 years with no issues. I think this one Amazon.com - Lasko 5624 Low Profile Room Heater, Black - Space Heaters . The low profile heater has detailed temp control and even built in timer where the oil heater can only go by 5 degrees at a time. So we set the oil heater to 75F to maintain the majority of the temp and put the other heater at 76-78 depending on the reaction of the hedgehogs as our Iowa weather goes through it's extremes.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Thank you. I did have a friend who had one of the oil type heaters that they loaned me. Of course it's been warm enough lately that I don't need it right now. But I am prepared.