• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should i be giving formula?

Neji

Moving in
Hi,
I just got a cockatiel and I think he was too young to leave his family. He isn't fully feathered and the owner said he was around 2 months old. After doing some research, (I know, I should have researched first), I think it was too young to leave. I plan to make some mash tomorrow as they had the birds on only a seed diet. He is semi tame and will step up nervously so handeling shouldn't stress him too much. Will he get enough food on his own or should I try spoon feeding formula once or twice a day? I am guessing that using a spoon is not as risky as a syringe but I will test the temp before giving. I got it from Craig's list and the ad has since been deleted so I can't contact them to return the bird. Even if I did, they would sell him to someone else I'm sure.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have a picture of him? Welcome to the Avenue.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. What is he eating? Do you have a gram scale so that you can weigh him? If he does need to be handfed and you have never done so you may want to contact a breeder, bird club or vet so that you can get some input/demonstrations. You may also want to consider taking him to a vet so that you can determine the age.

Neji

Moving in
Here are some pictures. It feels really thin and hasn't eaten the seeds I've offered. I think I'm going to try to find a vet and get some advice.

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Here are some pictures. It feels really thin and hasn't eaten the seeds I've offered. I think I'm going to try to find a vet and get some advice.
Hi @Neji and welcome to AA! :greet5: Your little one looks like a baby but he/she is very cute. Have you given your fid a name yet? I was going to ask if he/she is eating anything - like millet maybe? I realize it's seed but since you've just brought your baby home, having him eat anything is better than him not eating anything at all. I would suggest trying to give him a little water out of a teaspoon to see how he reacts (as in begging for food). Also, can you give us an idea of where you live (area or nearest large town/city)? We can probably help you find an avian vet to help you with your little one.

Sorry for all the questions, it sounds more like an inquisition than being helpful.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hi and welcome. Your bird is a cutie. Tiels typically ween at 8-10 weeks. However, it's pretty common for young tiels to regress when being moved to a new home. Does she do head bobbing or make begging noises?

Neji

Moving in
Thanks so much for the help! Does this guy, based on the amount of feathers it needs to still grow look older than 2 months?
I tried to feed him but he didn't know what to think. I had some baby food that I put on a spoon and touched against his mouth. He kind of tasted it but didn't eat a whole lot. He's semi tame because he was taken out and played with, but wasnt handfed.
To answer questions. I am fortunate in that I don't live too far away from tufts. I know they have a very good avian get program. I haven't given him a name yet. I'm still waiting a little to see his personality. I am looking for a good gender neutral name cause he may turn out to be a she in a few months! With this color, what color is he anyway, can you tell the difference? He has eaten a little and has pooped through the day. I believe he ate some of the baby food I left in the cage so I'm going to leave soft foods every day. I plan to make the mash this weekend. He doesn't get but he does snuggle and calls when I leave. I feel bad because he's been one for most of the day but I have him in the spare room with a space heater to try and keep him warm. I'll let you guys know how he does tomorrow. If he eats like today and pools I hope we will be ok.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He (or she?) looks plucked, not under-feathered.

Mutation appears to be either albino (whiteface lutino - dark red eyes) *or* clear pied (black eyes). A mature lutino's eyes may appear black unless under the right lighting. If albino, I'm inclined to think the bird might be a female.

I'd be curious to see pictures of this bird under a black light.,

Neji

Moving in
I thought he looked plucked also but when I asked they said it was because their feathers hadnt grown in yet. There were 3 babies and 5 adults and all of the babies were missing feathers in the same place. Maybe one of the adults was plucking the babies?
I can get a black light. I'm curious, what would you be looking for? I think it must be albino because it's eyes are red.
I was thinking Katy as a name but not positive yet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If they were all kept in the same cage, the parents may have started plucking to get the babies to leave the nest so to speak. If he/she is pooping, at least you know he's eating something! :) Can you weigh him to make sure he's not losing weight? And Katy is a cute name. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm still inclined to believe one of the parents was plucking the feathers... for the most part, the feathers are all supposed to grow in at the same rate, and a common area for parents to pluck their chicks tends to be the head or back region....

I'm curious to see if the bird would be completely white under a black light or if the bird might be spotted and striped. Here is a photo of a young, DNA sexed male lutino cockatiel under a black light. He has spots on his wings and bars around his rump and tail feathers. As an adult, he would molt these out.

And photos from Susanne Russo's website, Just Cockatiels.

Do you by any chance know which of the adults were the parents?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I would get some handfeeding formula, put that in a spoon and see how he/she reacts. It will also help with bonding. Hungry babies don't want to bond to anyone. He/she is a cutie!

Neji

Moving in
Sadly, I do not have Katy anymore. We had our vet appointmen and they said she is very underweight and since she's not eating well, she needs to be tube fed until she gains weight. They showed me how, but I just don't feel comfortable doing that and don't have the funds to have her boarded long term so I had to leave her there so that she could be nurses back to health and then adopted out. I'm sad but I would have felt worse if she had died in my case.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's not your fault that your were sold an unweened baby. I'm sorry you had to go through that but thank you for making sure she is getting the care she needs.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry, how hard for you and for her. You made the right decision. I wonder if you could adopt her when she's ready?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You have done something that is very hard to do, even for an experienced bird parront. You have given up your little one in hopes of saving her life. I don't know what else I can say other than you are someone I'd be proud to call a friend. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry.

Matt

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Considering other owners have recently purchased young baby cockatiels that were supposedly healthy and weaned *and* lost their chicks (even with vet care), I think you did the best thing for Katy. Better she has a chance at life than you trying your best and not knowing what you are doing. I don't think any of us here would recommend gavage feeding to a new parront. In fact, I've had birds for over 15 years and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself! I'm sorry you had to give Katy up, but know you did it for her.

I really hope this doesn't put you off of having birds, in fact, I hope it will make you more determined to find a reputable breeder to get a bird from that will be fully weaned, healthy and come with a health guarantee!

Neji

Moving in
Thanks everyone. It was a hard decision because the get really did make it look easy but I just couldn't risk it. She was so young and deserves a chance to live a healthy happy life.
I'm taking a break for now to research where to get a bird from while keeping an eye out for birds that need new homes. Katy picked me out of the three babies and she really seemed to enjoy my company. Even though I didn't have her long, I do miss her.