• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive cockiteal

ericmcginn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
eric mcginn
I need help with year and half old cockiteal with cage aggressiveness year and half old and go any ideas. Vet said take out with perch and reward him if he didn't bite stick or bitting me after getting off stick

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Quit mucking around with and in his cage when he's in it. Seriously. :)

Why can't he come out on his own?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Let him come out on his terms?! Then talk, sing, give treats,,,,I never stick my hands in my birds cages when they're in there,,unless its a nightfright or someone is ill. That's they're safe zone, cleaning and water/food change is when they're out if the cage. JMHO..

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Will he come out on his own? Does he play nice when outside the cage? Is he hissing and lunging even outside the cage?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Cockatiels are usually not very aggressive birds. What seems to be cage aggressiveness may simply be him being afraid to leave the cage right now. Did you just get him?
The vet's suggestion is good if he will step up onto a perch easily. Spray millet makes a great training treat (sunflower seeds too, but they are so high in fat that they should be reserved as a special treat).

ericmcginn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
eric mcginn
Have had him a year and a half he never bit til a couple months ago

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hormonal Cockatiel Behavior

It is not essential to pick your bird up from inside the cage if they are protective of it. Let them exit the cage and then engage in interaction. Service the cage when they are away from it.

Last edited:

ericmcginn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
eric mcginn
Ok I may stop doing so then anyone use avicalm for aggressive ness?

Haleema

Meeting neighbors
What i used to do was use the toy ladder to get my tiel to perch on bribing it by giving millet. Raised the millet higher and added my finger as a step on the ladder. He was so distracted by the millet that he stepped on my finger. Got him on my hand in no time! :D

ericmcginn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
eric mcginn
I think it's my patients that needs improving lol I just need to teach him lol

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Patience is the key with bird "taming" and training. What we are really doing when we "tame" a bird is earning their trust and showing them we are safe to interact with. Birds are not domesticated animals, they are still wild and instinctual prey animals, expecting everything and everyone they come into contact with to be a dangerous predator who will kill and eat them. We are predators, we act and think like predators, and we have to overcome that and show the birds we are trustworthy before they adopt us into their flock and learn to trust and interact with us like they would fellow birds in their flock. We have to give them security and RESPECT for their feelings and intelligence before they will trust us.

Would you sit tamely at the feet of a rearing Grizzly Bear you happened to meet in the wild, even if he was "just" trying to feed you while you were trapped in a cage?