• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talking Conures

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
I thought this might be a fun discussion!

1. What type of conure do you have?
2. How old are they?
3. What words, phrases, or sounds do they know?

Gilly is a green cheek conure & is 5 months old. She says: pretty, pretty bird, nite nite, what, what's this, hey, love you, hello, & bless you. I think she's /trying/ to get out thank you and chicken. She also makes tongue clicks that we taught her and kiss sounds.

She uses her kiss sounds in context. When she kisses you or when you kiss her she makes the smooch sound. Today was the first time she said hello or bless you. She said hello when she came to me from my husband & then I sneezed and said bless you and she said it right back to me clear as day. She got nite nite down just this week too! She's on a roll.

She definitely has the conure voice. I don't think any one else besides hubby & I would understand her without some assistance. She pretty much only talks to me if no one else is around though. Maybe she's shy! :lol:

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Echo is a yellow sided GCC. He is a little over a year old now.
He can mumble quite a few things but the only things he can say with utmost clarity are: Step up, Come on, Come up, Wecho(his name), and what.
He can also make kiss sounds and he has a tiny laugh. He also says oooh, mmm, hmmm, which I think is the cutest thing. He sees something he likes (food wise) and he will go, "mmmm".
No one believes us when we say he can talk a little. He doesnt talk in front of anyone except the family and I and when he does, his voice is so quiet and soft.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Diesel is a 2.5 yr old Nanday conure with a pretty extensive vocabulary :D
She can say:
Hi ~ Hi, Diesel
Good bird ~ I'm a good bird
Yeah
Go bye bye ~ Can we go bye bye?
Go night night ~ Wanna go night night
I love you
Gimme kiss
Kiss kiss
Be quiet
Peekaboo :xflove:
Step up
Go poop :lol:
What are you doing?
What (one of her favorites)
Come here
Mmmmmm
Peep peep (she whispers this)
Wow

The distinct sounds she makes include:
Kissing noises
Barking like a dog
Wolf whistling
Chewing noises
She imitates the sound of someone breathing perfectly. When she does it and my eyes are closed it sometimes sounds like there's another person breathing right next to me :blink:

She has a very clear voice and most definitely uses her words and phrases in context. It amazes me all the time.

Last edited:

Chihuahua

blue crowned conures are extremely similar to hahns macaws and in fact are being considered for moving to that category i believe (mini macaws).
so gabby is a little clearer than most conure species.
he is a year and a half old and he says

hi gabby
gabby gabby gabby
hello
step up
give a kiss and then a kissing noise
he will also do the kiss noise if i say give a kiss... he taught me :) he came knowing all those. the kiss noise is his favorite, and then gabby gabby gabby.

orion is four and doesnt talk, but he does do a chirping laugh when i laugh.

2torts1bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ida
Baby is 7 months old and I think he is trying to say his name. It sounds like "Bah bee".
When he's angry he makes these little grunting noises. If he hears a loud noise he makes something that sounds like a high pitched croak. He produces a plethora of other noises that are mostly grunts and squeaks :D

Heather F

Frodo is a GCC, almost two years old. He says:
"I love you"
"I love you baby bird"
"Baby bird"
"Kiss kiss"
"Hello"
"Hello baby"
"Hi baby bird"
He also makes kissing noises, keyboard tying sounds, and a funny little snickering noise.

The only thing of these that he generally says in front of anyone that isn't us is "kiss kiss" because that has morphed into his contact call.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Love this thread! I am fostering 3 conures, don't know their ages. Of the 2 blue-crowns, only 1 says a few words so far. He says, "Hi Nya" and "Night, night, Nya" and perfectly imitates a human cough. The other hasn't said anything yet, just makes little meow-like sounds and what I'm guessing are natural conure vocalizations. One of them also goes back and forth with the ekkie that they've lived with for the last 5 or so years, saying "uh-uh" over and over!

The green-cheek doesn't speak anything clearly but when he's snuggled up on my shoulder will sometimes "say" something. I think maybe he's trying to say his name but I'm not sure! It's so quiet and gravelly! He'll sometimes make kissy-like sounds for me, too. :)

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
Beans has only said a few things so far. I heard a quiet "step up," "Beaner," and maybe "Zorro." He does a cute evil laugh though!

Zorro, on the other hand...
-Hey buddy
-Hi/hey bird
-Pretty bird
-bee bird
-Baby bird
-whatcha doin
-whatcha want
-whatcha doin bird
-let's go
-no
-beaner
-what's this
-gibberish
-Zorro
-baby good bird

Sometimes the first thing I hear in the morning is him doing this weird little chant consisting solely of his name. "Zorro zorro zorro zorro zorro"

NeuroticAlpaca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alexandra
I have two green cheek conures, Arya and Thorin. Arya is 1 1/2 years old and Thorin is 9 months.
Arya knows the following phases:
-"Please step up." (in the most disdainful voice possible)
-"Hi baby!"
-"Chirp chirp!" (the actual words chirp chirp)
He's starting to try and say "Night night" but he's having some difficulty. He can also imitate my laugh perfectly.

Thorin doesn't talk so much as whisper little chirps to himself and imitate kissing noises when I give him kisses.

"Chirp chirp" has become the calling call of the house hilariously enough. Arya will say it until we respond if we are out of his sight but he can hear us.

Stitchy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chris
Stitchy was only saying Kiss Kiss, with a kissing sound, for the longest time. He is 2 years old, lately he has picked up a few more.....Whatcha got? Thank you, Pretty Boy, Can I Pet You? (yes, we actually have to ask permission if we want to keep our fingers intact :lol:) He grunts like crazy whenever he is annoyed with us, it is so funny. He is 'giving us the business'! I just love his little voice.:heart:

sgtpepper

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raeann
Pepper is 8 months old and a Jenday.

Pepper is saying the following very clear:
What
What's up
Hey BooBoo (dogs nickname)

These are garbled a little:
Good boy
Night night
Love you
Peppers good
Mama
Water time

She is most talkative when sitting in the shower with me. Not the greatest time to video her!

madison nicole

Walking the driveway
I have a sun conure named sunny :) she is 2 years old and can say love you,what,be good,stop that, quiet time, kiss kiss, where's my kiss, *burp sound*, sad birdie, I want a tickle,tickle tickle, help, snack time, MOM! And that's it lol so far....

DamJanet

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vickie
Ok. Poppi is a 2 1/2 yr sun conure.
She says hey Poppi, sit, step up, night night, Kate Kate, pretty bird

Smokey is a 3 yr old dusky conure.
He says pretty bird and hello but not really clear.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Gilly is now saying "uh oh" and "baby bird."

I wish could get her on camera! She only talks when it's just me and her with the TV on in the background and no "funny business" reaching for my phone! :lol: She will very occasionally say pretty bird and what/what's this for my husband.

Laurah

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Diesel is a 2.5 yr old Nanday conure with a pretty extensive vocabulary :D
She can say:
Hi ~ Hi, Diesel
Good bird ~ I'm a good bird
Yeah
Go bye bye ~ Can we go bye bye?
Go night night ~ Wanna go night night
I love you
Gimme kiss
Kiss kiss
Be quiet
Peekaboo :xflove:
Step up
Go poop :lol:
What are you doing?
What (one of her favorites)
Come here
Mmmmmm
Peep peep (she whispers this)
Wow

The distinct sounds she makes include:
Kissing noises
Barking like a dog
Wolf whistling
Chewing noises
She imitates the sound of someone breathing perfectly. When she does it and my eyes are closed it sometimes sounds like there's another person breathing right next to me :blink:

She has a very clear voice and most definitely uses her words and phrases in context. It amazes me all the time.
My female yellow sided name is Deezil too. But I spell it different. She is 5 and says cookie,go to bed,pretty,hey sexy,spicy,bad,kitty,tommy chong saying,etc...lol

Mango's Mommy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kathy Goforth
Hello all...I am a newbie, good to be here. My nanday, Mango, is 5 mos old, and I could almost swear he tries to say, "YooHoo!" lol....He tries to imitate my husband, making clicking noises, as if calling our dog. He also makes a whistle sound, similar to, "too-da-loo." I envy you guys that have conure with the large vocabulary, but I realize Mango is only 5 mos., and patience and practice will pay off.