• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Homes needed soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChirplockHolmes

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Pat
Aww Toque just keeps getting better! Sadly, I don't really have room for another fid right now. :(

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Drumroll, please......:parade: NYA STEPPED UP FOR ME YESTERDAY!!!! :dance4:

There may be hope for the blue-crowns, afterall. I was starting to wonder if they'd ever let me handle them! They both still run to the back of their cage when I open the door BUT they were out on top for awhile and I though - let me see what happens if I offer my hand to step up. To my complete surprise, Nya lifted a foot up and reached for me! I could. not. believe. it! It didn't last long. He'd realized what he'd done and quickly jumped through the cage door. LOL But huge step for him, either way. Kitty still won't have anything to do with me.

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to get both of them outta there so I can scrub their cage down - it's past time! So hopefully I can sweet-talk through it and not have to towel them. That would be a big setback. :meh: I'm super happy that we have a little progress, though. Still searching for homes!!!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Drumroll, please......:parade: NYA STEPPED UP FOR ME YESTERDAY!!!! :dance4:

There may be hope for the blue-crowns, afterall.

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to get both of them outta there so I can scrub their cage down - it's past time! So hopefully I can sweet-talk through it and not have to towel them. That would be a big setback. :meh: I'm super happy that we have a little progress, though. Still searching for homes!!!
Try putting a play stand next to cage. They get on it, you roll it away.

Worked for me.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Try putting a play stand next to cage. They get on it, you roll it away.

Worked for me.
Yeah, was going to try that... they're pretty skittish and don't wander off their cage but I will put some tasty treats on the playstand and see if that works!! :-D

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I know someone in the Reno, NV area that may be interested in a pair of blue crowns. She said she used to have a pair and the female she's guessing lived to be 52 years old. I haven't met her birds, but I do know she owns green cheeks (and other similar sized conures), caiques, quakers and birds on up to macaws.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
I know someone in the Reno, NV area that may be interested in a pair of blue crowns. She said she used to have a pair and the female she's guessing lived to be 52 years old. I haven't met her birds, but I do know she owns green cheeks (and other similar sized conures), caiques, quakers and birds on up to macaws.
Please feel free to give them my email if they are interested! LeslieRivera77@gmail.com

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Are you rehoming the GCC as well? Someone on my welcome thread directed me here because of my interest in adopting one some time soon-ish.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Are you rehoming the GCC as well? Someone on my welcome thread directed me here because of my interest in adopting one some time soon-ish.
Yes, Toque needs a forever home - and quickly because I'm REALLY getting attached to him!!!! :heart:

He is a VELCRO bird and would be one happy camper if he could live on someone's shoulder for the rest of his life! When he's not snuggled up against my neck, he'll sometimes get a wild hair and fly over to pester one of the other birds... mostly the BCC's! He's a bit of a bully with them. LOL But he's really a sweetheart with us. He chatters in my ear but can't tell what he's saying aside from the kissy noises. He does like to nibble and sometimes bites down too hard but has yet to draw any blood. He sometimes likes scritches and I think given more time, he'll enjoy that more as he gets more trusting. Since he won't let me preen around his face for him, he makes due with a tail feather - seriously - he has one tail feather that either broke or was bitten off about halfway. He grabs that feather with one foot and uses it to scratch his head! He's too funny :laughin: I wish I could catch it on video.

He likes his baths and if you've looked through this thread you saw the bath pics. Most of the time he just crams himself into his water bowl - I'd say almost daily!

He eats pretty good! Attaching a pic from the other night. They all got baby carrots and he apparently really liked it! :) I asked about his diet in the Conure Court and I guess it's fine (I've not had conures before) so you can see it there - Green-cheeck and Blue-Crowned diet | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Do you have other birds? Where are you located? I won't ship him but can fly standby for free so would be willing to bring him to his new home. I'm not asking for a re-homing fee. I would rather that money be spent on a full vet check! My priority is his finding a really great, forever home! We have not taken him to the vet yet but he's seemingly very healthy. Near perfect feather, with the exception of a couple ragged tail feathers. He has not been exposed to any birds in at least 5 years, just the ones he lived with and they have not had any health problems. The only thing of concern is his lower beak. It was very overgrown when I picked him up, to the point of causing a scissor-beak. BUT I think it was due to not having anything to chew on for so long. As soon as he went after new toys it broke off (before we had a chance to go get it trimmed!). That was several weeks ago and so far, so good. It still needs a little trimmed off but I don't feel like it will be a problem in the future as long as he has opportunity to keep it maintained himself.

If you have any questions, please let me know!!

20151005_191555.jpg

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Ah! I'm actually in Austin and would love to visit. No need to fly! However, we're still in the beginning stages of researching the compatibility of parrots to us + our home + our lifestyle + our pack of animals.

We don't have any birds at the moment, but we do have a retired greyhound, a rescue German shepherd, and a foster failure cat. I had budgies as a child (and have always loved animals of every kind), but only recently seriously considered taking in a bird as a companion. My husband works from home as an engineer and I'm a part time dance teacher, so he'd have plenty of people time during the day!

I'd love to chat more! PM me! I currently can't since I think I'm still under the minimum post requirement... :(

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Ah! I'm actually in Austin and would love to visit. No need to fly! However, we're still in the beginning stages of researching the compatibility of parrots to us + our home + our lifestyle + our pack of animals.

We don't have any birds at the moment, but we do have a retired greyhound, a rescue German shepherd, and a foster failure cat. I had budgies as a child (and have always loved animals of every kind), but only recently seriously considered taking in a bird as a companion. My husband works from home as an engineer and I'm a part time dance teacher, so he'd have plenty of people time during the day!

I'd love to chat more! PM me! I currently can't since I think I'm still under the minimum post requirement... :(
I sent you a pm - let me know if you got it. Would love it if you came to visit us! Always best to see the fids in an environment they're comfortable in. I'm glad you're taking your time making the decision as it's a commitment - which sounds like you're pro at, with the rescue dogs and foster fail. LOL We've got those, too!

Toque loves both me and the husband... LOVES preening Andy's beard and hanging out with either one of us. Sounds like you guys are home a lot, which he would love, too. ;) If you don't get my pm, let me know via email and we can chat that way. It's leslierivera77@gmail.com

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
@greytlove Toque gets what Toque wants... which, today, was a 2nd bath in the kitchen sink. He does not care that it is bedtime! He scrambled down my arm while I was cleaning bowls. How can I resist such a cute face?? He must be trying to look his best in case you come to visit him! ;)

20151011_204504.jpg

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Thought I'd update everyone here on how the fosters are doing. They're all great! We have decided to keep Mr. Spock with us - can't remember if I posted that or not - or just added him to my sig! :) He's just such a love and knowing how badly Caro wanted me to keep him, I just can't rehome him. Not now, anyway. Hopefully it will continue to be in his best interest to stay with us because it would break my heart to let him go! But anyway...

@greytlove is coming to meet Toque NEXT WEEKEND!!! We're so very excited to meet her and her hubby and I just know they're going to be a wonderful home for sweet Toque. It's not going to be easy to watch him go, either. There will be tears. But mostly happy tears. :) Toque clearly told me "good morning" when I uncovered him today. :heart: He has been talking more, in that quiet, whispery voice. You have to listen really hard but his vocabulary is starting to be more evident!

Nya and Kitty blue-crowns still just prefer to keep to themselves. I'm starting to think that isn't going to change. They panic if they get startled and fly away from their cage. I can't find my clicker for training since we moved a year ago... as soon as I dig it out will start working with them now that they're good about taking food from my hand. I'm still searching for a permanent home for them so if any of you have resources, please send them my way! I think they'd ideally be happy in an aviary somewhere since they don't care about human interaction much. I'm starting to feel like it's going to be impossible to place them and now it's stressing ME out! Any ideas are appreciated. :)

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
@Monica - Did you ever speak to the people in Reno that may be interested in Nya and Kitty?
@MommyBird - I never heard from you... are you able to pm now?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@MommyBird - I never heard from you... are you able to pm now?
Hi Leslie.... I'm confused, what was I PM'ing about? I have enough posts so can do it but possibly having a senior moment here about what?
I did tell greytlove about Toque which sounds promising!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I sent the gal an e-mail with the thread in it but hadn't heard anything back. Just sent another message, hoping it goes through!

I actually pictured Blue Crowns as my first (or second!) conure species, since I *love* blue! Watching Paulie didn't help, either! :hehe: Really hoping they find a wonderful home! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.