• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Things you do to make your life with flighted birds easier?

RocketBo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bobo
I though this would be a great topic to start. As a very lazy bird keeper, I'm always after this kind of tips. All your inputs may also make people more inclined to have their birds flighted, therefore happier healthier birds.

So to start, I hang twig balls where I always need to distract them from interfering with what I am doing (kitchen, laundry etc). If I throw a treat in the twig ball they can spend a long time on it, but usually I don't bother because of the mess.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Climbing nets! They love them, and spend so much time on them. So much more fun than a perch or T stand. Put some toys on it, and you should be good to go. Also, if you want certain rooms off limits for them, you can use magic mesh to block off doorways. Put them on the doors leading outside too, as extra barrier to getting outside. They are very cheap on Amazon or Home Depot. Nets not so cheap, but they are worth every penny.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I don't have any words of wisdom because Bella isn't too keen on flying unless it is to me or back to her cage, but I wanted to tell you that I love that picture. Your birds are beautiful.

RocketBo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bobo
As an avid lazy pet keeper I try ensure my birds have a good recall so I don't need to walk over to step them up when I want them.
Recall (and training in general ) is very important. I use recall so I can call them back into the house or call them off places where I don't want them to be.

my birds prefer to be on me most of the time. It's less of the walking over and stepping them up (none of it in fact, since they are free to come to me whenever) but getting them off me that is the problem LOL. This is where I find distraction toys handy.

RocketBo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bobo
Climbing nets! They love them, and spend so much time on them. So much more fun than a perch or T stand. Put some toys on it, and you should be good to go. Also, if you want certain rooms off limits for them, you can use magic mesh to block off doorways. Put them on the doors leading outside too, as extra barrier to getting outside. They are very cheap on Amazon or Home Depot. Nets not so cheap, but they are worth every penny.
I should try nets! I'm sure it's not too hard to make out of garden ropes? I don't have much perches (I got a tree from previous years garden trimming that works the same) or t stand (just can't see the point in this). Twig wraith is my birds other fav.

Magic mesh sounds like great stuff to block the moths and bugs out. During the day I have at least two windows open so these two little wood shredders can shred woods outside. I'm yet to find something to allow them coming in and out but not the flies. Was thinking of a cat door on top end of the human door...

RocketBo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bobo
Another trick I found over the years: if you have difficulty keeping your birds from chewing up your house plants/veggies/nursery plants, put your plants in a cage! This really works!! (I got an ornamental bird cage which looks nice too)

Perriewinkle

I've been told that most birds poo before takeoff, so people put easy to clean stuff or paper under favorite "perch" or play spots.
This helps keep the floors cleaner.
The bird people in my life tend to designate areas in each room that are set up for easy clean up and bird friendly so that their fids can hang out near them in each room.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I make it easier but more importantly safer by providing dedicated sturdy unchanging landing stations at the ends of all their learned fight paths.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I should try nets! I'm sure it's not too hard to make out of garden ropes? I don't have much perches (I got a tree from previous years garden trimming that works the same) or t stand (just can't see the point in this). Twig wraith is my birds other fav.

Magic mesh sounds like great stuff to block the moths and bugs out. During the day I have at least two windows open so these two little wood shredders can shred woods outside. I'm yet to find something to allow them coming in and out but not the flies. Was thinking of a cat door on top end of the human door...
Just make sure it is bird same rope, lots are covered with unsafe oils and chemicals. Usually cotton is good, manila too. For me it was cheaper to buy the net made at mysafebirdstore, than to make it. When you tie the knots, each knot takes about a foot of rope! So you end up using so much more than you expected. Wait for Kathie to have a sale at mysafebirdstore, and get a net from her. She has the lowest prices.

RocketBo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bobo
I used cane ring chains and garden ropes to make a little net to cover the skylight. My birds have started to chew the wood trim around the skylight so I am hoping they will chew up the chain net instead. Since they were already 'helping' while I link the chain up, they were on the net while I was hanging it up LOL. Costed me $10 all up...

I've been told that most birds poo before takeoff, so people put easy to clean stuff or paper under favorite "perch" or play spots.
This helps keep the floors cleaner.
The bird people in my life tend to designate areas in each room that are set up for easy clean up and bird friendly so that their fids can hang out near them in each room.
For me, toilet training is a must. (I am talking about birds who are able to fly to their toilet and back. I don't think flightless birds should be toilet trained.) There will be slip ups but as long as I only need to give the house a wipe down once every few days its okay. Sometimes birds will pick their own pooping area/perching spot, in that case just put some old shower mat/scrap carpets down at those places should save a lot of scrubbing.

I make it easier but more importantly safer by providing dedicated sturdy unchanging landing stations at the ends of all their learned fight paths.
This is a great idea for those who have adult birds that are learning to fly! Adult birds usually take longer to learn and needs plenty of time to build their confidence up. This is just the helping hand they need. And these can be pooping spots too.

Baby birds learn very fast, I would be more inclined to let them adapt.

Last edited:

Chihuahua

The only place Orion flies to is me or to whatever I point him at so I haven't really made any changes.. I accidentally opened an outside door and he flew out and I freaked but he made a U-turn and went straight to me LOL... he had just overshot my shoulder! Learned my lesson though.

Aside from not opening doors he is happy to just ride around on my shoulder or in my shirt so I don't really feel the need to change anything.. he toilet trained himself and never poops on me so that's nice of him LOL.